• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Are all regulators created equal?

• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#1 captsteve

captsteve

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts
  • Cert Level:aow/nitrox
  • Logged Dives:absolutly no idea

Posted 28 February 2006 - 09:08 PM

So, i am looking for a new set of regulators. my lds has recommended a set, but i am not an easy sell. i realize that a good reg doesnt have to be mega expensive, but they should be easy to maintain and reliable. i like the ajustable regs.....
forget glitter and fancy boxes...what is your favorite? din or yoke? why?

#2 Twinklez

Twinklez

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 28 February 2006 - 09:31 PM

I like my Mares Abyss - alot! It's not adjustable, but it breaths really smooth. The only downside (aside from people saying it looks like a shower head in my mouth) is that it's heavier than some of the other regs I tried. If I relax my mouth too much it sometimes feels like it might slip out; tough it never has. Haven't found another I'd trade it for. :-)

#3 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic
  • Logged Dives:too many logged, too many not logged...:)

Posted 28 February 2006 - 10:24 PM

ScubaPro MK25 or MK17 (environmentally sealed) DIN!!!!
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#4 nydiver

nydiver

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:~200

Posted 28 February 2006 - 10:25 PM

I have had several regs, most have worked well

Tusa 400, nice reg, adjustable, never had an issue and its works as a backup primary reg currently

Apeks TX100, great reg, adjustable, Just like a timex, takes a licking, keeps on tickin, breathes really dry though, would be nicer if it had more metal surfaces in the 2nd to hold back moisture

Sherwood Blizzard, OK reg, none-adj, another tank reg, breathes OK, would get a maximus if I went Sherwood, good for the money

US Diver artic, serves as a octo, nuff said, oh and when it free flows a good whack fixes it.

Apollo bio-filter whatever, Looked cool in the mag, and in person, works like crap, the 2nds swivel is cool though, dove once and since has been religated to hanging in the closet.

Posiedon Cyclon, 50 years, few changes, ugly but effective, works and works well, works so good someone snaked it out of my gear bag last summer while I was in the water. Will be replaced by a Xstream this summer.

Scubapro mk25/g600, I think that was what it was, the ultra light with the top end round reg, Paid alot and yet my $200 tusa breathed better, even after 2 attempts to have it "adjusted" at the dealer to the tune of 35 each adjustment. It lasted about 2 months and down the road it went. Hope the next owner could figure out what its issue was, cause the LDS and Scupapro couldn't.

Hope my little observations help in some small way for ya

#5 Capn Jack

Capn Jack

• Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts
  • Board Status:Working to fund the next trip
  • Cert Level:YMCA in 65, dove till 79, returned in 2002... now will work for air and/or beer as a DM
  • Logged Dives:not enough

Posted 28 February 2006 - 11:21 PM

So, i am looking for a new set of regulators. my lds has recommended a set, but i am not an easy sell. i realize that a good reg doesnt have to be mega expensive, but they should be easy to maintain and reliable. i like the ajustable regs.....
forget glitter and fancy boxes...what is your favorite? din or yoke? why?

Like so many things in diving - my answer is - "It depends"

The most expensive reg you buy is the one you end up leaving behind because you didn't get the right one. If you're moving toward some more serious diving, I'd recommend going for the ice capable, environmentally sealed etc. and of course DIN. DIN is the connection of choice since the o-ring is captured and your overall connection is much more solid, but will be a PITA if you just go on resort dives where all the tanks are yoke, and then you're shlepping an adapter everywhere, plus now you have the potential yoke o-ring failure problem anyway, plus the extra bulk behind your head.

If you're just an ordinary diver, and want to stay like that for awhile - start asking basic questions:

First, what kind of a diver are you? Unless you're into extreme (deep and/or cold) you can make do quite nicely with a wide range of regs.

Second, do you travel worldwide? Some brands are better supported should you need a fix in a 3rd world nation.

Third, how's your budget? My bet is you could post here and get several offers for serviceable regs, that perform well, for a reasonable price. I'm guessing budget is important, otherwise you'd pay the "luxury tax" and buy top of the line from Apeks, Atomic or Scubapro. I'm an SP fan, but I've had them a long time, and only recently thought maybe I'd think about a Mk 25 rather than my old piston.

There are performance evaluations done on machines that show a long list of regs to choose from that will provide all the volume you could possible need - and then it comes to breathing comfort. Try these links:
Scuba Diver magazine reg reviews
Diver Net reviews

Ask your LDS to rent a couple to you after you've narrowed your choices, and take them diving. My personal opinion is it's mostly in the second stage that you can feel differences in breathing characteristics - does it breathe "wet" - in any position? Is it heavy in the water? Do you like or need adjustability? You'll definitely feel the difference in an unbalanced pistonwhen your tank pressure gets low - but I like that warning - a balanced reg will deliver constant LP down to the bottom of your tank, and probably should be your choice.

ok - make a recommendation already (and I like SP) - First stage - Mk 25 (I'm a piston fan), Mk 17 if you need environmentally sealed. Second stage - S600. Or, make me an offer on my old piston when I buy my Mk 25.

Edited by Capn Jack, 28 February 2006 - 11:28 PM.

No aquarium, no tank in a marine land, however spacious it may be, can begin to duplicate the conditions of the sea. And no dolphin who inhabits one of those aquariums or one of those marine lands can be considered normal.
Jacques Yves Cousteau

#6 6Gill

6Gill

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts
  • Logged Dives:100+

Posted 28 February 2006 - 11:30 PM

Well go DIN and then for regs I things I consider is parts avalibility(I service my own).I run run primarly ScubaPro(Mk 10&20s,G200,G250,G500s) also have Atomic 2nds(same guys from ScubaPro)and have picked up a couple Apexs 1st.
THese have all worked well for me and primarly dive PNW.

Eric

#7 Diverbrian

Diverbrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI DiveCon/IANTD Normoxic Trimix.....
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 28 February 2006 - 11:34 PM

All my regs are DIN for the more positive connection point when I am diving.

My personal favorites are the Aqualung Legend LX. I have two of them that I use for my backgas. I am diving Great Lakes with light gas mixures and they haven't failed me yet.
A person should be judged in this life not by the mistakes that they make nor by the number of them. Rather they are to be judged by their recovery from them.

#8 Lubold8431

Lubold8431

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor. Do most of my diving in NE. I love wreck diving.
  • Logged Dives:Over 1500...

Posted 28 February 2006 - 11:38 PM

You cant go wrong with any of the mainstream regs. There are people that have their favorites, and everyone pushes what they like. Apeks, Scubapro, Mares, Oceanic all make good regs. So do sherwood, Genesis, Poseidon and Dacor (although Mares now makes all Dacor regs). I think Capn Jack summed it up pretty well.

I currently dive Apeks regs for backgas and deco bottles, and Scubapro for fun single tank dives.
The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will.
--Vince Lombardi

#9 Desert_Diver

Desert_Diver

Everyone knows me

• Charter Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI AOW, TDI Nitrox (does it really matter to you??)
  • Logged Dives:130 something

Posted 01 March 2006 - 12:35 PM

Apeks DIN, for high end. I love 'em, haven't had any problems at all. However, they're harder to get parts & repairs for, as they're based in England. In a lot of cities around the US, you can't get authorized service at all. The ScubaPro (better) and Sherwoods (low end) seem to be pretty common.

I started off with a cheaper set of regs, and gave 'em away when I found that they didn't work for s#!+ 100' down. Afterwards, I bought the Apeks DS4 DIN and TX50 2nd stage. Per my note elsewhere, I'm frequently swapping the connector back to yoke 'cos most operators can't seem to handle DIN, yet. I don't like their DIN > yoke adapter, as I banged my head on it on one dive. With no hair for protection, that *hurt*. I'd much rather call in advance to see which flavor I need to take on a trip, then set it up before the trip.

The trouble I had at depth was the first time I'd hit 100'. I started checking my gear for pressure issues, and the Sherwood Minimus octo wouldn't breathe hardly at all. That was scary, 'cos it'd probably be the one I was stuck with in the event of someone grabbing my primary out of my mouth. After that, I made a regular habit of occasionally diving the octo just to make sure it's all good at depth. Hopefully, it's comforting for my partner (if they even notice). In fact, that's my octo in the profile photo.

Edited by Desert_Diver, 01 March 2006 - 12:36 PM.

#10 matts1w

matts1w

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 89 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:100+

Posted 01 March 2006 - 01:22 PM

I admit I am a bit biased, but visit a Scubapro dealer and look at an MK25 and S600. No matter what your level of diving, you will find it a strong option.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, and totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- WOW! -- What a Ride!"

#11 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 01 March 2006 - 01:35 PM

No, all regs are NOT created equally. Given your diving environment, I would strongly encourage you to look for an environmentally sealed unit.

The suggestions for ScubaPro and Apeks mirror my own. I dive with Dive Rite regs (you've used them) because of cost, proximity to service, and quality. I would be equaly happy with Apeks regs, if not more so. I would not purchase ScubaPro regs, but that is a personal choice and has nothing to do with their quality.

I also have an Oceanic Delta that I use on my single tank setup, and it works fine for my recreational needs.

#12 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic
  • Logged Dives:too many logged, too many not logged...:)

Posted 01 March 2006 - 02:14 PM

I admit I am a bit biased, but visit a Scubapro dealer and look at an MK25 and S600. No matter what your level of diving, you will find it a strong option.

Keep in mind the MK25 is not environmentally sealed, but the MK17 is, if that is an important feature in making your regulator selection.
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#13 finGrabber

finGrabber

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,276 posts
  • Board Status:thinkin' about diving
  • Cert Level:DM; TDI Adv Nitrox and Deco Procedures
  • Logged Dives:1200 ish

Posted 01 March 2006 - 02:16 PM

my favorite regs are my ScubaPro MK10's with G250

I can and have breathed a tank down to 50psi and the reg breathed the same...I wouldn't have been able to tell except by my gauges; I'm perfectly happy with my regs and so I really don't want to try others

#14 Vessper

Vessper

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW/Rescue
  • Logged Dives:24

Posted 01 March 2006 - 04:49 PM

I have the aqua lung legend LX and love it. I tried a few different types before my purchase.

#15 ddierolf

ddierolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts
  • Cert Level:Padi Divemaster
  • Logged Dives:300+

Posted 01 March 2006 - 05:04 PM

Apeks 200, 50 & 40. I dive cold water and warm water, clear and very mucky. I been scoulded by my LDS for having them so full of gunk a few times, but never had an issue with them not working properly or having them serviced.

Which end is up?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users