• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Are all regulators created equal?

• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#61 Desert_Diver

Desert_Diver

Everyone knows me

• Charter Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI AOW, TDI Nitrox (does it really matter to you??)
  • Logged Dives:130 something

Posted 30 May 2006 - 07:31 AM

I've seen this stuff before. Got spooked because there was a horror story online of someone who had a problm, went the registered adress and there was nothing. Made me more than nervous. The DS4 was my top choice for first stages.

I've bought from DiveTheAbyss 4 or 5 separate times over the years, never had a problem. Everything was brand new in the original package. I'd happily buy from him again, but I now have LDSes that carry or can get the older Apeks regs, so I don't need to buy mail-order or eBay.

Don't forget, there's always 2 sides to a disagreement. Example: one of the guys I worked with bid on something on eBay, then was upset that the seller wouldn't send him the item to preview BEFORE he paid for it, and AFTER he'd won the bid. :birthday:

Also, (due to the nature of the Internet) if his IP address changes, it could take up to 4 days for it to ripple through, and his site would be dead as far as you could tell. Anytime you hit a totally dead site, check back a week later. Further, if a site appears to have been taken over by DomainPark or one of the other domain sellers, it could be due to an address change that hasn't finished rippling down. Again, check back a week later before you write 'em off.

My 2psi worth, your SAC rate may vary. :teeth:

#62 echo3

echo3

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 09:39 PM

:cool1:

WOW.

so many oppinions (and not just here)

I'm shopping for a reg setup.

I went to my lds today to pick their brains.

I was interested in the Oceanic line (Delta 4, Alpha 8) they told me they wouldn't recommend them due to the number of cracked housings on the 2nd stages. (near hose inlet)

Mares- mixed reviews on this mfg

USD- I hear good things about them

Atomic- LDS was really pushing this line

tusa & cressi- lds doesn't see many of these

SP, I take it that it's well liked here

I just want a decent performer at a decent price

I will be doing regular warm water diving, capable w/ EAN <40%, depth to..?(where ever I may go and use AOW C)

what would be really cool is if there was a no bs web site that listed makes / models and had reviews and input from the guys who work on them. (is there?)
"I'll fight it, but I won't kill it. Now, what about my dynamite?" - Steve Zissou

#63 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 10:57 PM

Well, since a lot of that stuff was written, I've had a chance to try a number of different regs. In truth, there are a lot of good regs out there. I'm lucky in that I can get nearly any brand serviced near me. But then I don't mind sending stuff off for service either.

If I were looking for some solid regs from common companies I'd look at:

SP Mk17/G250
Apeks XTX series
Aqualung Legend series

If I wasn't worried about the name on the reg and just wanted something solid:

Zeagle Envoy
Dive Rite RG2500 (what I have)
Salvo SR1

I'd take any of the above to 300ft without blinking.

#64 shadragon

shadragon

Tech Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,055 posts
  • Cert Level:MSD / DM / Solo
  • Logged Dives:534' ish

Posted 02 March 2007 - 06:13 AM

ScubaPro MK25 or MK17 (environmentally sealed) DIN!!!!

I have a MK16 which is the older model of the MK17. It is about 2 years old and I just had an adapter put on it to handle the DIN connector for my shiny new steel tanks (You may say 'oooooooo...' if you really feel like it...) and I can convert it back to Yoke in a few moments. It is designed for harsh environments and I have used it from the Red Sea in 72F water to ice diving in 38F water and it has always served me well. If you really want the Cadillac of regs the next step up is the MK25 which is a balanced reg.

ScubaPro was the obvious choice for me as my local dive shop is a dealer and maintenance is easy to get done. Maintenance and parts is something you need to look at before you buy as well. Make sure your gear is supported locally or you will have to ship them away.

DIN, as mentioned previously, can handle higher pressures. However, a lot of resorts have AL80's with yokes so you need to be able to convert them back from DIN if needed. My MK16 can be put back to a Yoke in seconds with the adapter I have on it. It is a little thing, but really helps your flexibility if a DIN tank is not available.

Edited by shadragon, 02 March 2007 - 06:19 AM.

Remember, email is an inefficient communications forum. You may not read things the way it was intended. Give people the benefit of the doubt before firing back... Especially if it is ME...! ;)

Tech Support - The hard we do right away; the impossible takes us a little longer...

"I like ponies on no-stop diving. They convert "ARGH!! I'M GOING TO DIE" into a mere annoyance." ~Nigel Hewitt

#65 shadragon

shadragon

Tech Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,055 posts

Posted 02 March 2007 - 06:22 AM

In terms of value for money I've found nothing that comes close to Scubapro - Mk2 as a bullet proof and very stable unbalanced first stage for recreational diving

I have a MK2 on my Pony. A lot of resorts use them for rentals as well. Good basic reg, but in Canadian waters a sealed version is always better.
Remember, email is an inefficient communications forum. You may not read things the way it was intended. Give people the benefit of the doubt before firing back... Especially if it is ME...! ;)

Tech Support - The hard we do right away; the impossible takes us a little longer...

"I like ponies on no-stop diving. They convert "ARGH!! I'M GOING TO DIE" into a mere annoyance." ~Nigel Hewitt

#66 echo3

echo3

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 10:09 PM

I got a deal I couldn't refuse..

Legend LX ACD & Legend octo $512

the LDS manager combined a couple AL specials to hook me up. :welcome:
"I'll fight it, but I won't kill it. Now, what about my dynamite?" - Steve Zissou

#67 swfladiver

swfladiver

Getting started

• Pip
  • 27 posts
  • Cert Level:open water since I was lil but finally starting to look into getting more papers
  • Logged Dives:13 years of diving and I just found out it really matter if I logged more than my check out dives

Posted 02 August 2007 - 10:43 PM

almost ditto, currently my primary set is a aqua lung legend primary reg and octo didn't go for the acd as I live in florida and have severe coldfobia, lol. my backup/old set is dacor viper. so far not sure which I like more but only 5 dives into the new reg set

#68 echo3

echo3

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 11:00 PM

.... didn't go for the acd as I live in florida and have severe coldfobia, ....

ok, ya lost me there.

what's the deal with cold and the ACD ?

fwiw, S. FL is my primary dive destination. (key largo)

#69 The Black Sheep

The Black Sheep

Getting started

• Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Cert Level:Technical Dive Master/Tech I/AN/ADP/Trimix I/Technical Gas Blender ...the list goes on!
  • Logged Dives:Hah, LOGGED dives, eh? ...300+

Posted 03 August 2007 - 12:53 PM

Double DS4/XTX 50's DIN 300. Love them.

N

#70 swfladiver

swfladiver

Getting started

• Pip
  • 27 posts
  • Cert Level:open water since I was lil but finally starting to look into getting more papers
  • Logged Dives:13 years of diving and I just found out it really matter if I logged more than my check out dives

Posted 03 August 2007 - 05:16 PM

ok, ya lost me there.

what's the deal with cold and the ACD ?

fwiw, S. FL is my primary dive destination. (key largo)

my mistake I have the legend lx acd, I didn't get the legend lx acd SUPREME , its supposed to be a little better for cold water

#71 Scubatooth

Scubatooth

I spend too much time on line

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts
  • Board Status:Omnes Qui Errant Non Pereunt!
  • Cert Level:Rec: DM -- Tec: Ext Range
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 03 August 2007 - 05:37 PM

I have dove quite a number of regs over time and have some i like and some i really dont care for for design, breathing, and/or the companies practices.

Dacor made some good regs, but unfortuantely mares buried service and support the day they where bought (so much for a life time warrenty). The one dacor reg i have left is one i keep as a back incase someone needs a reg

Apeks, some very solidly made regs, my next set of regs i purchase after getting a fulltime job will be a tek3 set for doubles (xtx50 second stages with a new 1st stage similar to the xtx200). Then also i have a lead on a set of black pearl atx 200's so i may be getting them soon.

Currently I dive with posiedon odin/jetstreams(primaries and cyklons(o2 Clean for high 02 mixes) I would also like to try out the xstreams as i have heard real good things about them. I have no complaints about them as they are the smoothest breathing regs i have dove to date, and I dont get the tonsil blasting effect that some mention. I have excellent contacts for service with a good turn around time.

biggest thing it comes down to is try as many different ones out as you can ; then make the decision for yourself, dont rely on others opinions as on the internet. I would rather pay a higher price for a better reg once then to buy cheap multiple times.

FWIW

Tooth

A Novus Dies Has Adveho.... Occupo Dies

Where in the World is Tooth? ... Catch Me It You Can!

Traveling the World, Diving, and Photography, on my days off from saving lives as a Paramedic

#72 shadragon

shadragon

Tech Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,055 posts

Posted 29 August 2007 - 11:19 AM

I would rather pay a higher price for a better reg once then to buy cheap multiple times.

Picked up a ScubaPro MK25 / S600 combo last weekend and wondered why I didn't get one a long time ago. Effortless breathing regardless of depth and fully adjustable on the second stage. Not a sealed unit, but has an anti-ice coating on all metal components to stop freezing. It is a DIN unit.

Took my MK 16 / S390, converted it back to Yoke and it is now my new Pony reg with a 5' hose which replaces my basic MK2. Best part is a guy in the shop saw I had the MK 2 with 42" yellow hose and Octo as a spare and he offered to take it off my hands for his pony. Cha-Ching... More mad money for trips down south... :P

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users