• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

North America U-boat diving

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 ScubaGypsy

ScubaGypsy

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts
  • Cert Level:DM
  • Logged Dives:1500+

Posted 03 March 2006 - 10:27 AM

Ever since watching the movie Das Boot in college, I've had a fascination with U-boats. So far I have had the opportunity to dive on two of them, the U-853 and the U-85. It is my hope over the next couple of years to add more of these boats to my logbook as I increase my skills and find the opportunities.

The U-853 is located close to me in RI and I dove it in June 1988 and July 2005. There has been significant deterioration over that time span. I dove the U-85 in August 2004 out of Nags Head, NC. All 3 of these dives left me in awe with a lump in my throat as I had studied the histories and knew that the conditions that find them now as graveyards.

I have twice been scheduled for dives on the U-352 but have been axed both times because of nasty weather. This U-boat is probably the most visited one off of the US by scuba divers as it sits in the Gulf Stream and thus can often offer warmer water and good visibility.

New Jersey has the U-869 which is the feature of the best selling book Shadow Divers. This boat sits in 230' and is obviously well out of range for most divers.

In addition to these U-boats there are several others that folks have visited via scuba diving. These include the U-1105, which unlike the U-853, U-85, U-352 and U-869 which were sunk during the war, the U-1105 was initially turned over to the US after WWII in 1945. After study by the US Navy in Washington, DC, she was towed out into the Potomic River and used for demolition practices in 1949. In 1985 some sport divers found her and then in 1994, she became Marylands first historic shipwreck preserve. Reportedly, she is a difficult dive in that she is laying in thick mud in an area known for terrible visibility.

I have seen a map showing the general locations for the U-521 and U-548 off of the coast of Virginia but I have not read that they have been located.

NC also has two other reported U-boats including the U-701 which was reportedly found in 1989 by the same person (Uwe Lovas) who located the U-1105 in MD. Diving on this boat has been discouraged but appears that it is now occuring with some regularity and recommendations.

The other reported U-boat off of NC is the U-576 which is 550' deep off of Hatteras. Apparently divers attempted to dive this boat in 1994 but were unsuccessful. I don't know if there have been any other attempts since these.

The last U-boat that I have heard about being identified along the eastern United States is the U-2513 off of Key West. This ship was also turned over to the US after WWII and then used for target practice in 1951. It has been dove a number of times but at a depth of 214', it too is out of the range of most divers.

There are also two other known U-boats in-land. Perhaps the most famous is the U-505 which is in Chicago at the Museum of Science and Industry. This boat was captured at sea in 1944 and then towed back to the US. The capture of this boat marked the first capture of an enemy warship by the US Navy since 1815!

The Great Lakes also has another U-boat in its ranks and this is the UC-97 in Lake Michigan. This boat was procured by the US in 1919 after WWI. She toured a number of American ports along the Great Lakes including Lakes Ontario, Erie, Huron, and Michigan. Though scheduled to visit Lake Superior ports as well, the U-boat had to cut short its voyage because of wear on the engines. Thus, in August 1919, she was delivered to the Great Lakes Naval Station until 7 June 1921 when she was taken out into Lake Michigan and sunk as a target during naval reserve gunnery drills. She was relocated in 1992 at a depth of 250' but this location has been closely guarded and I have not heard of divers outside of the recovery team visiting her.

The U-550 is reportedly 70 miles south of Nantucket Island, MA but to my knowledge has not been found.

I also seem to recall a U-boat found off of Canada (Nova Scotia?) a couple of years ago as well as have heard of 2 off of CA. I have not been able to confirm any of these boats.

My hope is to dive the U-352 and the U-1105 over the next year or two. I also plan to continue diving the U-853 annually as it is a local dive for me. There are also a number of US submarines around this country and I'll try and post some information about those in future threads if folks seem interested.

Edited by ScubaGypsy, 03 March 2006 - 10:33 AM.

The sea is everything........Its breath is pure and healthy. It is an immense desert, where man is never lonely, for he feels life stirring on all sides. The sea is only the embodiment of a supernatural and wonderful existence. It is nothing but love and emotion; it is the 'Living Infinite,' ..........

Capt. Nemo...........20,000 Leagues under the Sea

#2 Mitch0129

Mitch0129

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 919 posts
  • Cert Level:OW, AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:290

Posted 03 March 2006 - 10:48 AM

I, too, have been intrigued by German U-Boat history since seeing the movie "Das Boot". I hope you have seen the director's cut which is very long but has a lot of scenes cut out of the final cut. After seeing that cut of the movie, my admiration of German U-Boat sailors, even if they were enemies at the time, grew by huge leaps and bounds.

Besides diving some of the U-Boat wrecks, I would love to visit the remains of some of their bases. The bunkers at Lorient, St. Nazaire, and Brest are still there.

I would like to suggest you read a book titled "Iron Coffin" written by John Mannock. It is an fictional account of a U-Boat crew that, after nearly being sunk by American Catalinas in the waters of Cuba, found their boat badly damaged, their radio knocked out, and their fuel stores dwindled so low that there was no way they were going to make it back to their base at Lorient. They had to rely on help from Cajuns in the deep swamps south of New Orleans who may or may not turn them in. It is a great book.
-Mitch-

#3 Basslet

Basslet

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,463 posts
  • Cert Level:OW
  • Logged Dives:150

Posted 03 March 2006 - 10:52 AM

When I dove the U-352, I was surprised by how small it was. And to think that John Chatterton and the others went inside? At that depth? In that vis? In that cold? Brrrr

#4 Diverbrian

Diverbrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI DiveCon/IANTD Normoxic Trimix.....
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 03 March 2006 - 11:34 AM

Actually, not all people are convinced on the location of U-576. I was working with a group from NC that does NOT believe that location. There are no ROV photos to my knowledge (which is what really should be used to "dive" a vessel at that depth). So that position is far from confirmed. (PS The U-576 directly or indirectly caused the sinking of three vessels prior to its sinking in early June.) The problem is that after she took the shot from the Unicoi, she was fatally wounded but we think able to run away before sinking. The other problem is that shipwreck hunting of that nature takes time and money. The group that I was working with wasn't even close to having enough of either.

The UC-97 is illegal to dive as the recovery company owns rights. Apparently, they want to raise her and take her back to Chicago as a show boat. In the meantime, she lies right where she is.

Yes, they intrigue me due to serving in the modern submarine service. I doubt that the first submarine that I served on was that much larger inside than a U-Boat. It still felt weird to decomission her.
A person should be judged in this life not by the mistakes that they make nor by the number of them. Rather they are to be judged by their recovery from them.

#5 ScubaGypsy

ScubaGypsy

• PipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 03 March 2006 - 11:39 AM

I, too, have been intrigued by German U-Boat history since seeing the movie "Das Boot". I hope you have seen the director's cut which is very long but has a lot of scenes cut out of the final cut.......

I have a poor quality VCR recording of the uncut version but I recently purchased the DVD uncut version. I assume that all of the same material fom the Directors Cut is also in this version?

...I would like to suggest you read a book titled "Iron Coffin" written by John Mannock.......

Hey that does sound, cool, I'm going to order it! Have you seen the movie U-571? I enjoyed it as well though ALL submarine movies seem rather sublime after the intensity of Das Boot IMHO!
The sea is everything........Its breath is pure and healthy. It is an immense desert, where man is never lonely, for he feels life stirring on all sides. The sea is only the embodiment of a supernatural and wonderful existence. It is nothing but love and emotion; it is the 'Living Infinite,' ..........

#6 ScubaGypsy

ScubaGypsy

• PipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 03 March 2006 - 11:50 AM

Actually, not all people are convinced on the location of U-576.

I believe that is also true of the U-550 that is supposedly in MA. I have heard of several side-scan searches but as far as I am aware, they have not discovered her.

The UC-97 is illegal to dive as the recovery company owns rights. Apparently, they want to raise her and take her back to Chicago as a show boat. In the meantime, she lies right where she is.

Who made the laws that it is illegal? Have you heard of anyone diving it anyway? I simply can't see that it will ever be raised. And I certainly don't understand how a commercial recovery company can retain rights to her.

Are you aware of any U-boats found off of Canada within the last couple of years? I have web searched but can not find any information now although I do seem to recall reading a newspaper article about it at the time.

#7 Diverbrian

Diverbrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts

Posted 03 March 2006 - 12:05 PM

Actually, not all people are convinced on the location of U-576.

I believe that is also true of the U-550 that is supposedly in MA. I have heard of several side-scan searches but as far as I am aware, they have not discovered her.

Who made the laws that it is illegal? Have you heard of anyone diving it anyway? I simply can't see that it will ever be raised. And I certainly don't understand how a commercial recovery company can retain rights to her.

Are you aware of any U-boats found off of Canada within the last couple of years? I have web searched but can not find any information now although I do seem to recall reading a newspaper article about it at the time.

I am aware of the Candian find, but I would need to do a little research that I don't have the time for today to tell you which one that it is. If I remember correctly, they found it off of the coast by Nova Scotia. But, I am not positive on that. They sent Ritchie Kohler up there to help confirm it's identity and he normally answers his e-mails. You may want to ask him.

On the UC-97, you had better believe that if the recovery company didn't keep the GPS numbers to be really and truly top secret (our intelligence agencies could learn a thing or two about how to keep secrets from these guys, LOL), you would have nearly every technical diver from five states on that wreck. The Recovery Company found her and bought the rights before they found to put her on exhibit in Chicago if found. As to the actual enforcement of the rights, I would bet that they would be contested if anyone outside of the higher ups in that company knew where that wreck was.
A person should be judged in this life not by the mistakes that they make nor by the number of them. Rather they are to be judged by their recovery from them.

#8 ScubaGypsy

ScubaGypsy

• PipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 03 March 2006 - 12:21 PM

I also seem to recall a U-boat found off of Canada (Nova Scotia?) a couple of years ago .......

OK, I finally found some information on this boat. It is the U-215 and it is at a depth of 270' off of Nova Scotia's south coast. Apparently it was featured in an episode of The Sea Hunters.

Edited by ScubaGypsy, 03 March 2006 - 12:22 PM.

#9 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 03 March 2006 - 12:41 PM

Tom,

I am very interested in this stuff. And I would hope that in 2 years or so, I'd be able to join you for some of these dives. If all goes according to plan, I should be on tri-mix by mid 2007. But I have a ways to go yet! :diver:

#10 Latitude Adjustment

Latitude Adjustment

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,658 posts
  • Cert Level:EanX
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 03 March 2006 - 12:51 PM

I've tried 5 times to dive U-352 and got blown out 4, the other time both computers died on the prior dive.
Someone from Maryland was just talking about diving the Black Panther, maybe the NOVA group will make it an SD thing.
Here's some links you may already have
German Navy
U-boat.net
U-166
I, Latitude Adjustment (insert log in name), do hereby swear, (politely), that I shall not hold SingleDivers, (SD), nor any SD poster, (real or imagined), liable, nor shall I seek legal restitution, (real or imagined), for any perceived, (real or imagined), offenses I may incur, (or Incurrrrrrrrrr on talk like a pirate day), that may or may not be posted on this or any SCUBA related board, (real or imagined), by anyone, (real or imagined), anywhere, (real or imagined). Further, I void any right to privacy, (real or imagined), as it may, or may not relate to any posting, (real or imagined), about me, to me, for me, because of me, all about me, my dog, my cat, my bird, my monkey, my family, (real or imagined), my friends, (real or imagined), or my world, (real or imagined).

By all that is wet, I do hereby swear, (politely), and attest, upon pain of never diving again, (real or imagined), that I understand and affirm, that I agree to the above.

_________________________________________(log in name signature)
Signed and Dated

#11 Drgnfiend

Drgnfiend

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  • Cert Level:Assistant Instructor
  • Logged Dives:100+

Posted 03 March 2006 - 01:09 PM

Someone from Maryland was just talking about diving the Black Panther, maybe the NOVA group will make it an SD thing.

I know there were discussions about this at the NoVA HH just recently. I know I'd be interested in it, although I'd like to get a bit more experience under my belt before diving in the lovely, pristene, crystal clear waters of the Potomac </sarcasm>.

#12 ScubaGypsy

ScubaGypsy

• PipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 03 March 2006 - 01:15 PM

I am very interested in this stuff. And I would hope that in 2 years or so, I'd be able to join you for some of these dives. If all goes according to plan, I should be on tri-mix by mid 2007. But I have a ways to go yet! :diver:

Perrone,
As you well know I too am continuing to try and strengthen my skills, increase my training and upgrade and become comfortable with the required equipment for pursuing this type of diving. Certainly a number of these boats will always be out of range for me. I've never penetrated the U-853 or U-85 during my dives and after seeing the condition of the U-853 last summer, don't think that I ever will! With that said, I think that the following dives are very do-able within the next couple of years (I'm listing them in the order of likely easiest to most difficult):

1. U-352 (NC), 110', 50'+ viz, summer bottom temps hi 70's-lo 80's, slight to moderate current
2. U-85 (NC), 95', 25-30' viz, summer bottom temps hi 50's, slight to moderate current
3. U-701 (NC), 110', 50'+ viz, summer bottom temps hi 70's-lo 80's, moderate to undiveable current
4. U-853 (RI), 130', 5-20' viz, summer bottom temps low 40's to low 50's, moderate to undiveable current
5. U-1105 (MD), 90', 0-20'??, temps and current unknown

Edited by ScubaGypsy, 03 March 2006 - 01:56 PM.

#13 ScubaGypsy

ScubaGypsy

• PipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 03 March 2006 - 01:30 PM

Here's some links you may already have U-166

Now there is one that I had never heard of but I guess that at a depth of 5000' that it might be awhile before we can dive it :diver: !! It is interesting though to see a U-boat in the Gulf of Mexico.

#14 Diverbrian

Diverbrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts

Posted 04 March 2006 - 03:13 AM

Actually, it is suprising that there weren't more U-Boats sunk in the gulf. Operation Drumbeat basically attempted to choke off all of our merchant shipping. Good chokepoints to put a group of submarines were North Carolina, New York, and especially the mouth of the Mississippi river (ie. the Gulf of Mexico).

But, the point is that the Gulf was a key battleground for most of 1942. Many merchants were literally afraid to leave out of New Orleans in the early part of the war. The US government just did a beautiful job of keeping the early losses covered up in the press to avoid demoralizing US citizens. This led to the Civil Air Patrol and Coast Guard help that went a long way towards making the threat bearable.

#15 Mitch0129

Mitch0129

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 919 posts
  • Cert Level:OW, AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:290

Posted 04 March 2006 - 07:51 AM

I, too, have been intrigued by German U-Boat history since seeing the movie "Das Boot". I hope you have seen the director's cut which is very long but has a lot of scenes cut out of the final cut.......

I have a poor quality VCR recording of the uncut version but I recently purchased the DVD uncut version. I assume that all of the same material fom the Directors Cut is also in this version?

...I would like to suggest you read a book titled "Iron Coffin" written by John Mannock.......

Hey that does sound, cool, I'm going to order it! Have you seen the movie U-571? I enjoyed it as well though ALL submarine movies seem rather sublime after the intensity of Das Boot IMHO!

I have not seen the DVD version of Das Boot but I imagine it is the version as I saw. The version I saw was on a movie channel. As for U-571, I saw that one too and, if you can get past some of the goofs on the historical facts, it is an excellent movie although nowhere near as good as Das Boot.
-Mitch-

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users