• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Saved by the jellyfish

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 mantarraya

mantarraya

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:>100

Posted 07 March 2006 - 07:54 AM

I live on the beach, and frequently enjoy long beach walk/sprint sessions as a means of exercise and relaxation. Most days, I walk during the hot part of the day, when my brain ceases functioning anyway, but on busy work days, I'll sometimes go at night, usually around 10 pm or so. Last night, for the first time in 2 years, I had a very unpleasant encounter when some weirdo ran out from one of the unoccupied houses, grabbed me from behind, and tried to push me to the ground. If he was looking for money, it was a bad idea on his part, because who walks with cash on the beach? If he was looking for something else, he didn't get it, because after a nice struggle, I banged him on the head with my huge flashlight hard enough that he stumbled back and slipped on all the jellyfish and men-of-war that were scattered on the beach. That was all I needed to be able to sprint the 400 ft or so to the nearest lit house and call 911 on my cell phone. The cops showed up pretty fast, but the guy took off, so I'm left thinking about what I should do in the event there are not dead cnidarians on the beach to interfere with the balance of an attacker.

I am, of course, fine, just have some scratches on my face and arms and am a little sore. I know that some would say that I was asking for it for being out by myself at night, but I refuse to live my life in fear. I get a great deal of enjoyment out of my night beach or bayside walks, but I am open to suggestions as to what I might do to be safer. I am not going to carry a gun by the way (don't own one and feel no need to own one), and one of my friend's experience with mace/pepper spray has shown me that you are just as likely to get it into your eyes as those of your attacker, and still end up have been attacked.

I think a personal pocket alarm that would sound out loud like a dive alert might be useful. That would at least have gotten people in the lit houses out looking to see what was going on. The big mag light that I carried proved to be a good thing to have along, but I shudder to think what would have happened had the attacker gotten it away from me (a strong person could kill someone with one of those mega mags).

Other suggestions?

Edited by lgrahamtx, 07 March 2006 - 08:13 AM.

Back after a long absence - whew, too busy at work!

#2 captsteve

captsteve

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts
  • Cert Level:aow/nitrox
  • Logged Dives:absolutly no idea

Posted 07 March 2006 - 08:09 AM

good for you!........next time hit him a little harder until you hear a bit of a crunch.. sorry somthing like that had to happen to you.

#3 Mitch0129

Mitch0129

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 919 posts
  • Cert Level:OW, AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:290

Posted 07 March 2006 - 08:33 AM

Lee, glad to see you are alright. I am not sure a personal pocket alarm like a dive alert would be of help. It is just like car alarms, they are heard so much that no one really pays attention to them. But I am sure the noise might scare the creep away.

It would have been better if you had been able to blast that guy where it really counts and made him into a hen.
-Mitch-

#4 Vessper

Vessper

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW/Rescue
  • Logged Dives:24

Posted 07 March 2006 - 09:26 AM

I am glad to hear that you are alright.

My first thought would be some sort of self defense course. Most city police departments offer some sort of course. Second, you might consider using a walking stick. You don't have to actually strike someone to keep them off of you. A 5 foot stick can be used to keep someone off of you. It can keep a distance between you and your attacker. And my third thought, (sorry guys, this hurts just typing it) but a knee to the privates normally works pretty good for slowing a man down.

Change your routine. It is possible this guy had seen you on the beach before and had watched to see your frequency on walks. Carry a cell phone.

Another idea that some may not agree with is, when faced with something like this, stand your ground. Typically it will be the bully type that will try to take things from people like that. Bully's don't do well with people that stand their ground and don't show fear. Become the aggressor so to speak. Put fear into them, make them second guess themselves. I am 6 ft tall and about 160 lbs. So I am tall and skinny. Years ago when I did the bar scene 5 nights a week, I had my brush with a few fights. I found the more I stood my ground, no matter how big the guy was, the less it actually turned into a fight. The main aspect these people work on is fear, if that is taken away, they have lost their edge and most likely their control of the situation.

Hope some of this helps.

#5 mantarraya

mantarraya

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 07 March 2006 - 10:31 AM

You can't really knee someone when grabbed from the rear. I stomped his feet as hard as I could, and was able to pull free enough to spin around and make a good 180 degree swing shot at his head with the mag light. CaptSteve will be happy to hear that, while there was not a crunch, there was a very satifying thud. That mag light is almost 2 ft long, so while not as good as a walking stick, it still worked well as a weapon and could keep someone away. I am going to put a good wrist strap on it that tightens so it is less likely someone can get it away from me. I'll also consider the walking stick suggestion. And I always carry a cell, with the first number in the directory set to 911 and the voice dial set to "Help".

I never walk the same routes when I walk at night, so I really think the incident was not directed at me personally. The way the cops acted leads me to believe that they do have someone in mind for this, as they were very specific about asking me if I thought I could identify him (maybe????), and took fingernail scrapings (don't think they would have done that if they didn't have a suspect, as the county is not a rich one). They also said something about stay-off-the-beach-for-a-week-or-two which also makes me think they may be wanting to bust someone specific.

I will always wear shoes that I can run in at night (flip-flops or barefoot only in the day) as well.
But I still credit the jellyfish for my escape.

Lee

#6 cmt489

cmt489

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,346 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:75+

Posted 07 March 2006 - 12:16 PM

I am so glad you are alright! And good for you for not letting fear run your life! :D I think too many of us let that happen nowadays.

Pepper spray would not have helped in this situation, even if you had a good aeresol can of the stuff since he grabbed you from behind (but it can be effective if you buy the bear spray that shoots a straight aeresol stream forward for a distance if you can see an attacker coming at you). I also agree that a gun is not the answer nor would it have helped here since, again, he grabbed you from behind. In fact, it could have been used against you.

I walk alone every early morning and every night and I believe that the reason that I have not been bothered is very simple - I am walking my dog. He is not a big dog (22 pounds) but he does have a look about him which says don't mess with me or my mom or I will make a big fuss and may even latch onto your leg. To me, the most effective safe walk is a good dog. If you do not have allergies and your lifestyle allows it, maybe you should think of a dog.

When I used to go to university and take a lot of night classes, I used to take my parents Akita to classes with me as night attacks on women were a problem at the university at the time. The profs loved her and someone only tried something once and almost lost his throat as a result. Let's just say, I never felt so safe as when I was walking with her. She is now old and slow but would still lay down her life for me.

Dogs are great for safety and they are amazing companions. A good dog will be the most loyal friend/family member you will ever know!

#7 mantarraya

mantarraya

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 01:45 PM

Agree that a dog is a good option. My only problem is that I travel so much, plus already have other pets that can fend for themselves better when I am away on business jaunts.

I did get word from the police that they have arrested someone that lives two subdivisions east of mine that they believe has been assaulting women on the beach for some time. I may have to do a line-up id of this guy (even though I'm not real sure I could id him, and I'm sure not going to id someone unless I am 100% sure). Of course, then you worry about the person coming after you later, as unless he has done a lot of stuff, I bet he would just get a slap on the wrist for this, esp in my county. After all, I live in the county that let millionaire Robert Durst off after killing and dismembering his neighbor!

#8 Twinklez

Twinklez

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 09 March 2006 - 07:34 PM

The 180 with the flashlight was a good move, but sometimes you don't have room for a 180 and it's also easier to deflect than some other moves. Practice a straight jab to the solar plexus first, followed to another straight jab to the face as the assailant bends forward resulting from the first jab. Stomping the assailant's feet when attacked from behind is perfect, but not always effective depending on footwear of both parties.

Like Vessper said...a good self defense class is your best move.

BTW - I have two Mags; one by my bedside and the other I carry in my door compartment of my truck. When I camp, it's in my hand inside my sleeping bag - I camp alone most the time.

Glad you're alright and they've caught someone.

#9 Capn Jack

Capn Jack

• Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts
  • Board Status:Working to fund the next trip
  • Cert Level:YMCA in 65, dove till 79, returned in 2002... now will work for air and/or beer as a DM
  • Logged Dives:not enough

Posted 09 March 2006 - 07:54 PM

REALLY glad you're ok. Amazing, you must be the last Texan without a concealed carry permit. I do agree with the others - a firearm is probably not a good idea.

A friend of mine carries a 3-iron practically everywhere she goes. It makes a great tool for aligning attitudes, she practices full swings at eye level, as well as backward jabs with the grip end. When I travel overseas, I usually take the courtesy umbrella from my hotel room when I go out at night.
No aquarium, no tank in a marine land, however spacious it may be, can begin to duplicate the conditions of the sea. And no dolphin who inhabits one of those aquariums or one of those marine lands can be considered normal.
Jacques Yves Cousteau

#10 mantarraya

mantarraya

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 10 March 2006 - 07:41 AM

REALLY glad you're ok. Amazing, you must be the last Texan without a concealed carry permit. I do agree with the others - a firearm is probably not a good idea.

The lack of firearm is due to the fact that I am on of the 3 or so Texas liberals (I don't think they allow more than that to live in the state, and even then you must be native-born - something I can claim, but don't in many crowds :birthday: ). I even have a "Kerry 2008 - Let's get it right this time!" bumper sticker on my truck, which has several neighbors wagering how long it will take my vehicle to get vandalized.

Unfortunately, the Texas accent I lost in the 17 or so years I lived out of state, has crept somewhat back in after I moved back, and now gives me away easily!

Edited by lgrahamtx, 10 March 2006 - 07:49 AM.

#11 mantarraya

mantarraya

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 10 March 2006 - 07:43 AM

The 180 with the flashlight was a good move, but sometimes you don't have room for a 180 and it's also easier to deflect than some other moves. Practice a straight jab to the solar plexus first, followed to another straight jab to the face as the assailant bends forward resulting from the first jab. Stomping the assailant's feet when attacked from behind is perfect, but not always effective depending on footwear of both parties.

Thanks for the advice. I could have possibly used an elbow to get the solar plexus, but could not have jabbed at the face since he had me by the neck. Of course, once I got loose, I could have done that, but the beaning with the mag seemed best at the time. Those mags are definitely good to keep in the car and near the person for situations like these.

#12 Basslet

Basslet

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,463 posts
  • Cert Level:OW
  • Logged Dives:150

Posted 10 March 2006 - 09:31 AM

Wow. Thank God you're OK. And no, I don't think you were "Asking for it" walking on a beach in your neighborhood at night. Central Park, well, that's another thing. How about carrying pepper spray?

#13 mantarraya

mantarraya

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 10 March 2006 - 09:50 AM

Wow. Thank God you're OK. And no, I don't think you were "Asking for it" walking on a beach in your neighborhood at night. Central Park, well, that's another thing. How about carrying pepper spray?

Central Park, it ain't, that's for sure. Usually, I don't see anyone on my nighttime jaunts. Just bad luck this time. Turns out I don't have to do an id, but they are testing the dna which will take a while. That makes me really think they have the right guy, or why else would they spend the money?

I had a friend in GA that tried to use pepper spray when she got assaulted on the campus there. In the struggle, it got in her eyes, which made it even harder to defend herself. She was really bad off afterward. So I have always been a little leary of it.

#14 ScubaDrew

ScubaDrew

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 737 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:100+

Posted 26 June 2007 - 11:42 AM

I am happy you made it out of that situation ok. I realise I am jumping in a bit late here, but I have some opinions that might help out a bit in these situations.

First off, a gun is indeed a terrible idea. It takes at a minimum 100's of hours of training to become proficiant in the use of firearms. Most cops are not trained enough to make me feel safe that they carry. A review of police shootings in NYC will back me up on that. A gun in the hands of someone without the specific training and background is a disaster for everyone.

Secondly, someone who buys and carries a gun for the express purpose of protecting themselves lives in a world where deadly force is needed for survival. It is a forgone conclusion that they will shoot somebody one day, they just lack the opportunity thus far.

Hand to hand combat, well, swinging moves like the one you used do not work very often. You were lucky, and for that I am glad. Never-the-less the best use of the flashlight once you broke free would have been to blind the attacker. Eyes dialated for night vision do not react well to flashlights. I suggest a HID light and always have fresh batteries. It hurts like hell and allows you to get away before he can see well enough to follow you.

If you kick, never aim any higher than the attacker's knees. Kicks higher than that have a good chance that your foot will be caught, plus you are off balance and can fall over.

Any self defense classes you look into, make sure the teacher focuses on only a few simple moves, as complicated moves have a small chance of working. There are too many moving parts. However these are spectacular and designed to sell you a spot in class. A few moves are easy to practice to the point that they become SECOND NATURE. Anything less is worthless, you are likely to forget all your training when you need it so it needs to become instinct. I will let your instructors show you hands on how to focus on the opponents weak spots. Namely eyes, nose, solar plexus, groin and knees. FWIW most guys are ready for the groin. It is hard to hit effectively and will likely pi$$ the guy off so stay away from temptation unless you are certain of a direct hit.

Your best weapons are your legs. A quick move to get away then run your @$$ off, and carry a loud whistle that you can get at quickly. Running while making noise is likely to turn your attacker away.

People who attack women are weak pathetic individuals who are trying to get a quick boost of self esteem by dominating someone. They go for easy weak targets as that is their best chance of success. Maintain alertness, don't appear nervous or look down. Look around and hold your head proudly. I see victims waiting for attackers all the time.

If you look confident you will turn most attackers away. A little fight and run makes you more work than worth for those who continue anyway.

Finally, mace is not the best choice for the reasons you mentioned, however something that is designed to stain hair, skin and clothes makes it easy for the police to find the attacker later on. Just don't wait around trying to spray the guy. Also, get in the habbit of drinking hot coffee, chocolate or tea on your nightly walks. A steaming hot beverage to the face is a great weapon, easy to deploy, cheap to buy, and very effective.

I hope nobody who reads this ever needs to use any of it.
Drew Z.

"Winter is not a season, it's an occupation." -Sinclair Lewis

Meet Pearl and Opal, the new shark rays in Adventure Aquarium.

#15 RedPolarBear

RedPolarBear

Getting started

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Gender:Default...if you do not click on either male or female, a moderator will contact you to help fill out correctly.
  • Cert Level:Open Water
  • Logged Dives:4

Posted 07 July 2007 - 12:09 PM

I can relate to you I was attacked around the corner from my house on November 1st, 2006 as I was on my way home from work. I had seen two teens walking up the street something told that something was not right and so I tried to walk away fromt them but one of them said give me your money and I said no but of course I only small change not enough to make their day. They grabbed me and punched me in the face I closed my eyes to protect my eyes when I was on the ground I grabbed on one of their legs in a attempt to get them off of me and I was dragged while still being punched in the face and in the end they ran down the street and dissapeared and left me with me a busted lower left lip, bloody nose, and scrap on my wrist. Since they failed to rob to me I was able to call 911 on my cell and do some first aid which I'm trained to do since I'm a lifeguard while I was on the phone with the police two women came to help me and one of them a trained nurse I told her sister to get my father and he ran out of the house. The Police came they caught two teens who l thought were the ones which later on I knew they were not the ones because the two who attacked me were as tall as me. I had to go to the hosptial and get x-rayed and stitches for my lip. After being in the er for hours I went down to the police station to file a report. I'm lucky I'm still alive and here on this planet to even tell my story. Well sometimes I have to come home at night because of work. I'm trained in martial arts but that night it was wise not fight for fear of they might have been armed with guns or knives.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users