• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Share your tech or gear ideas.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 captsteve

captsteve

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts
  • Cert Level:aow/nitrox
  • Logged Dives:absolutly no idea

Posted 07 March 2006 - 07:41 PM

So, everybody has a favorite knick-knack or way of modifying their gear.....whats yours?

#2 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic
  • Logged Dives:too many logged, too many not logged...:)

Posted 08 March 2006 - 01:17 AM

OH OH OH my fabulous v-weight* that attaches to the bolts of my bands fitting nicely between my doubles so I do not have to wear any weights up here in the PNW when I dive 85s (don't wear weight diving in 95s+)!!! who-hoo!! :wacko: *v-weights allow me to power up my drysuit on those long cold deco stops!
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#3 FlIrishman

FlIrishman

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, NTIROX - 500 DIVES, East Florida Coast wreck, reef and beach diving
  • Logged Dives:500

Posted 08 March 2006 - 05:19 AM

My 19 cu ft Pony attached to the Steel 120 filled with 38% for bug diving.

http://www.irishmans...m/mar15_02c.htm

The Pony Bottle Strap is cool - quick release, but solid on the tank belt

http://www.quickdraw...com/index2.ivnu

Hmmm - dry suit, PNW - sounds COLD to me here in Florida

Geo / The Irishman

#4 Diverbrian

Diverbrian

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI DiveCon/IANTD Normoxic Trimix.....
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 08 March 2006 - 06:01 AM

Hmmm!!!

That's a tough one for me as most of my gear configuration is a combination of things that I liked off of other people's gear. I like my weight harness when diving single tanks with a drysuit. It won't slip off and ripcord style weight pocket release is nice to hand up on a boat if I want less weight on me when I get out of the water. It also allows me to adjust my weighting up and down a bit better on my body.

I use elastic "ponytail ties" to hold my inflator closer to my webbing. They are cheap, have enough give to allow me to get my inflator away from my webbing, and yet pull it back in so that it isn't a danglie.

I still look for ideas on argon bottle rigs. Right now, I have a six cubic ft. bottle attached the left side of my backplate upside down. I am experimenting with that.

Oh yes, I love my 18 inch LP hoses that I use for my argon bottle and my inflator on my doubles to minimize excess LP hose lengths on my rig.
A person should be judged in this life not by the mistakes that they make nor by the number of them. Rather they are to be judged by their recovery from them.

#5 captsteve

captsteve

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 07:00 PM

i really like the idea of combining the compass and computer in one place.........

#6 intotheblue

intotheblue

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts
  • Cert Level:diving since high school; rec, tech, cave and wreck, as well as exploration and expedition diving
  • Logged Dives:Thousands... (really!)

Posted 10 March 2006 - 11:05 AM

OH OH OH my fabulous v-weight* that attaches to the bolts of my bands fitting nicely between my doubles so I do not have to wear any weights up here in the PNW when I dive 85s (don't wear weight diving in 95s+)!!! who-hoo!! :) *v-weights allow me to power up my drysuit on those long cold deco stops!

Along this line, I created a "soft" V-weight. Sewed up a tube and dropped some 2# soft weights in it, added appropriately spaced grommets and closed it up. Made two of them, one has weight that extend below the bottom bolt of my bands. Helps adjust trim if needed. I had trouble with my double 95's being too short and made it difficult to keep my trim. the weight below the bolt was enough to "trim" me properly. Yes, the weight did rest gently on my tailbone area, but was never an issue. Since have split and sold the double 95's, so haven't needed that weight. My 120's are heavy enough that I need no extra weight, as are my Heiser 108's. My Fabre 108's are currently in sidemount configuration, so I have not needed any "v" weights in a while. All my steel cylinders are LP... at least they are stamped that way... :diver:

;)
"The most important thing is to never stop breathing"... ITB

Actually, the WORST day of diving is better than the BEST day at work... :)

and... my life is not measured by the number of breaths I take, but by the number of breaths I take UNDER WATER :)

"I see you are no stranger to pain." -- "I was married... TWICE!!!" HOT SHOTS, PART DEUX

#7 intotheblue

intotheblue

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts
  • Cert Level:diving since high school; rec, tech, cave and wreck, as well as exploration and expedition diving
  • Logged Dives:Thousands... (really!)

Posted 10 March 2006 - 11:20 AM

I combined my computer, wrist slate and compass so that they all fit pretty cleanly on my wrist. On my other wrist, I carry my backup computer and a D3 in the same way.

And along this line, I took some small diameter bungee, hognose "crimp" rings, wire shrink wrap and small hole punch... and made elastic wrist bands for my computer and bottom timers. The regular straps "loosen" up when the pressure compresses my dry suit, and my instruments would fall down around my wrist/hand. This way, I have the ability to stretch the elastic in place higher up my arm, and the elastic handles the suit compression very well. The bungee is crimped together making one continuous loop on each instrument. I considered making an arm "slate/mount" but decided I prefer this. I use wet-notes, and often log my dives during deco stops when I am tired of counting whatever floats by... ;) I added my own pockets to my dry suit, and attached them on the sides and bottom to neoprene backing. Then I cemented the complete back side of the neoprene to my dry suit, leaving the pocket in place with closure flap, and a neat little "open pocket-ette" between the pocket back and the leg of my suit. This is the place I tuck in my wet notes for easy recovery without disturbing my spools, pins, arrows, double-ender, etc.

Hope this gives someone else some good ideas... share back please.

ITB...

:diver:
"The most important thing is to never stop breathing"... ITB

Actually, the WORST day of diving is better than the BEST day at work... :)

and... my life is not measured by the number of breaths I take, but by the number of breaths I take UNDER WATER :)

"I see you are no stranger to pain." -- "I was married... TWICE!!!" HOT SHOTS, PART DEUX

#8 captsteve

captsteve

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 10 March 2006 - 07:01 PM

I combined my computer, wrist slate and compass so that they all fit pretty cleanly on my wrist. On my other wrist, I carry my backup computer and a D3 in the same way.

And along this line, I took some small diameter bungee, hognose "crimp" rings, wire shrink wrap and small hole punch... and made elastic wrist bands for my computer and bottom timers. The regular straps "loosen" up when the pressure compresses my dry suit, and my instruments would fall down around my wrist/hand. This way, I have the ability to stretch the elastic in place higher up my arm, and the elastic handles the suit compression very well. The bungee is crimped together making one continuous loop on each instrument. I considered making an arm "slate/mount" but decided I prefer this. I use wet-notes, and often log my dives during deco stops when I am tired of counting whatever floats by... ;) I added my own pockets to my dry suit, and attached them on the sides and bottom to neoprene backing. Then I cemented the complete back side of the neoprene to my dry suit, leaving the pocket in place with closure flap, and a neat little "open pocket-ette" between the pocket back and the leg of my suit. This is the place I tuck in my wet notes for easy recovery without disturbing my spools, pins, arrows, double-ender, etc.

Hope this gives someone else some good ideas... share back please.

ITB...

:diver:

i did the same thing with my compass( with the small diameter bungee)........i love it...i also have been meaning to make some elastic bands from some bicycle tube.....it works great when put around the webbing to hold tools and back-up lights..............

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users