• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

This critter was spotted off NC this month

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 wreck_maniac

wreck_maniac

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
  • Cert Level:DM
  • Logged Dives:400+

Posted 25 May 2004 - 01:28 PM

Well,
For those of us that like to dive with sharks. Here's a movie that was taken 13 miles off shore in NC. Don't think I want to go for a dive while this one's around. Enjoy!

http://poachersportf.../sharkmovie.asp

~dale
:teeth:
~dale

NC Wreck Divers Dive the Graveyard of the Atlantic

#2 Latitude Adjustment

Latitude Adjustment

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,658 posts
  • Cert Level:EanX
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 25 May 2004 - 02:14 PM

I'll be there in two weeks, if you don't hear from me after that....... :D
I, Latitude Adjustment (insert log in name), do hereby swear, (politely), that I shall not hold SingleDivers, (SD), nor any SD poster, (real or imagined), liable, nor shall I seek legal restitution, (real or imagined), for any perceived, (real or imagined), offenses I may incur, (or Incurrrrrrrrrr on talk like a pirate day), that may or may not be posted on this or any SCUBA related board, (real or imagined), by anyone, (real or imagined), anywhere, (real or imagined). Further, I void any right to privacy, (real or imagined), as it may, or may not relate to any posting, (real or imagined), about me, to me, for me, because of me, all about me, my dog, my cat, my bird, my monkey, my family, (real or imagined), my friends, (real or imagined), or my world, (real or imagined).

By all that is wet, I do hereby swear, (politely), and attest, upon pain of never diving again, (real or imagined), that I understand and affirm, that I agree to the above.

_________________________________________(log in name signature)
Signed and Dated

#3 stanner82

stanner82

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 25 May 2004 - 02:45 PM

Damn! That was a big SOB! It was hard judging the bad boys size until you finally saw part of the boat and a fisherman in the pic - Yikes!!! :D Not something I'd be happy about seeing on one of my dives.

#4 wreck_maniac

wreck_maniac

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 25 May 2004 - 02:48 PM

It was on the local news here as well....estimated to be 16ft and over 2000lbs!

Where you diving Lat? I might could hook up and go diving with you (if there's room)

~dale
:D
~dale

#5 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,622 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 25 May 2004 - 02:48 PM

Now Dale...you know this was quite a bit further up North from where we dive. There are great whites that pass thru when the waters are still chilly and they are usually females. And you know what they say about pissing off females! LOL!!! :D

We have NEVER had an incident with a great white in the NC area even though this the second siting that I am aware of diving there for over 10 years so there is nothing in my opinion to be alarmed about. In fact more incidents have been reported with other just as dangerous sharks in other venues then off NC.

Let's not sensationalize this event...you can go and see the new diving movie for that!!! LOL!!

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#6 triggerfish

triggerfish

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,712 posts
  • Cert Level:goddess.
  • Logged Dives:never enough

Posted 25 May 2004 - 04:19 PM

on the other hand, those of us who have gone out of the way JUST to dive with them would LOVE if she came around in july!!! but i know the water will be too warm (boohoo).

i put a couple of my shark pix in the gallery...

#7 nextariel

nextariel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,531 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:350+

Posted 25 May 2004 - 04:27 PM

i put a couple of my shark pix in the gallery...

I saw your pics. Where were those taken and were you really there?
Laugh at yourself first, before anyone else can. --Elsa Maxwell, September 28, 1958

#8 triggerfish

triggerfish

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 25 May 2004 - 04:40 PM

july 2003, on a shark trip with rodney fox , aboard a great old tall ship, the failie. yup...i was really there. it was amazing!!!
my buds and i had a gsw trip planned for out of san diego, but it fell through. i was so disgusted at having to rely on someone else to make reservations, i booked myself FOR myself. went alone, had a fantastic time.
the sharks are just unbelievable. the POWER as you see them come from under the boat and then shoot straight out of the water without a running start.....
and each and every one of us stuck our hands out of the cages and pet them as they swam by......
i'd do it again.....

#9 stanner82

stanner82

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 25 May 2004 - 07:30 PM

july 2003, on a shark trip with rodney fox , aboard a great old tall ship, the failie. yup...i was really there. it was amazing!!!
my buds and i had a gsw trip planned for out of san diego, but it fell through. i was so disgusted at having to rely on someone else to make reservations, i booked myself FOR myself. went alone, had a fantastic time.
the sharks are just unbelievable. the POWER as you see them come from under the boat and then shoot straight out of the water without a running start.....
and each and every one of us stuck our hands out of the cages and pet them as they swam by......
i'd do it again.....

Doin' the cage thing's a different story, I'm all for that...I just don't want to be in the water with a Great White or an Oceanic White Tip w/out the cage. :evilgrin:

#10 triggerfish

triggerfish

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 25 May 2004 - 07:32 PM

yeah, i know...i did it the wuss way :dltears:

#11 Lubold8431

Lubold8431

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor. Do most of my diving in NE. I love wreck diving.
  • Logged Dives:Over 1500...

Posted 25 May 2004 - 10:00 PM

Last summer, there was a great white spotted just off a beach where I was doing certification dives with students, here in MA. They are all over the place...
Dont be scared. If they attack you, it will be over quick. LOL...
The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will.
--Vince Lombardi

#12 Diverbrian

Diverbrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI DiveCon/IANTD Normoxic Trimix.....
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 25 May 2004 - 10:49 PM

That's like hiking next to Grizzly Bear. I would enjoy the view, but definitely keep my distance. Those are certainly creatures to respect. Lubold, you're right... If he wanted me for lunch, it wouldn't take long, LOL.
A person should be judged in this life not by the mistakes that they make nor by the number of them. Rather they are to be judged by their recovery from them.

#13 wreck_maniac

wreck_maniac

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 26 May 2004 - 06:31 AM

I didn't post this to dramatize NC diving...I just thought it was cool.

This is actually the third report of a great white being spotted off NC in the last 4 yrs. 2 were actually in the vacinity of the area that we dive Kamala...Leroy (skipper of the Captain's Lady in Beaufort) has pics from one a couple years ago during dive season...everyone on the boat said it was awesome to see.

The other one showed up while divers were down on a wreck(3yrs ago I believe)..so they casually sent a slate down informing the divers to stay down a little longer :taz: This is definately not something that happens on a regular basis..and yes we all frequently dive with critters that are more agressive and just as dangerous.....just not ones that are as big or as famous :twist:

~dale
:welcome:
~dale

#14 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,622 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 26 May 2004 - 06:59 AM

Actually we were in NC when the last report of one came in...it was on the East Side and we were diving the South Side...once again Bobby rocks in choosing WHERE to be diving and WHEN!!! LOL!!!

Can't wait to hook up with you bud...its been way too long and I'm ready to find some great stuff in NC!!! How about you????

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#15 stanner82

stanner82

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 26 May 2004 - 07:32 AM

yeah, i know...i did it the wuss way :dltears:

That doesn't mean your a wuss, it means you're smart! For most of us, the best descents include a successfull ascent. :birthday:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users