• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

SD "Dives" of the Month! What would you do!?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 WreckGoddess

WreckGoddess

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts
  • Board Status:Studying for Exams (May 1-15th)
  • Cert Level:Master Diver / Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:300+

Posted 10 March 2006 - 03:21 PM

Okay people -- this may be unheard of to those that live down in Florida and other water saturated places..

BUT...for those of us in DC, AZ, CO, etc. etc. we don't quite have as many options to get in the water. :dazzler: SO... I am trying to put together "events" that aren't necessarily dive related for those divers that can't quite get in the water as much as we would like. And, that might also be fun for some of our non-divers.

Question
How interested are you in non-diving related stuff? (Ex: Would you go skiing, wine tasting, camping, dancing, arcade-going, target-shooting, etc. etc. with your fellow divers?) If yes, what kind of stuff can you see yourself doing?

Any feedback is awesome! ;)

I'll put up seperate posts but here is what I currently have set up for the Dive of the Months until December. But let me know how these rank!

April 8th: A Taste of the South! Dive into the VA Wine Tour!

May 27th-29th: [Memorial Day Weekend] -- heading somewhere warm -- TBD :)

June 9th -10th -- Start out the VA DIVE SEASON RIGHT!! CAMPOUT -- Rawlings, VA :)

June 30th - July 5th: Morehead City -- Fireworks -- SD NC Trip :birthday:

August 10th - 15th: Morehead City -- Shark Diving -- SD NC Trip :birthday:

September 28th - October 2nd: Morehead City -- Seafood Festival -- SD NC Trip :dazzler:

October 20th-21st -- Shenandoah Valley -- Hiking/Camping Trip

November 10th-12th -- [Veteran's Day Weekend] -- heading somewhere warm -- TBD :dazzler:

December 9th -- Who killed who? WHAT!? Dive Murder Mystery Christmas Party! -- Location TBD

Thanks!!
~Vanessa :diver:
"If you gave me several million years, there would be nothing that did not grow in beauty if it were surrounded by water."
~JAN ERIK VOLD, What All The World Knows, 1970~

Check out the next NOVA/DC/MD Happy Hour/Or Local Event

#2 Twinklez

Twinklez

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 10 March 2006 - 03:30 PM

Looks to me like you've got a really great start! We have similar issues here in Texas. The water is not real warm during spring and winter. I've been wondering what we can do in addition to the HH's. I think it'd be fun to get together and all go to the Imax and see the new movie out.

I would definately do a lot of the things you listed in your suggestions.

Good job!

#3 Ariesno1

Ariesno1

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:600

Posted 10 March 2006 - 08:51 PM

I am interested in all of this, and would also like to do a day of tandem sky diving if we get enough people interested in it, and how about Paint Ball?

#4 Brinybay

Brinybay

I spend too much time on line

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:580

Posted 10 March 2006 - 10:52 PM

... what kind of stuff can you see yourself doing?
~Vanessa :teeth:

You mean sober? :P

Edited by Brinybay, 10 March 2006 - 10:52 PM.

"The cure for anything is saltwater--sweat, tears, or the sea." - Isak Dinesen

"A good marriage is like an interlocking neurosis, where the rocks in one person's head fill up the holes in the other's."

#5 jholley309

jholley309

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts
  • Cert Level:Open Water
  • Logged Dives:20-ish

Posted 28 March 2006 - 05:39 PM

... what kind of stuff can you see yourself doing?
~Vanessa :P

You mean sober? :P

Hmm..that reminds me of the old field saw: "Anything is edible with enough Tobasco". Perhaps we should paraphrase: "Anything is fun with enough liquor." :P

I fall into the school of thought that believes the activity is less important than the group you're doing it with in terms of enjoyment; I'd just as soon go on a wine tasting trip (not a typical activity for me) with a really fun bunch of folks as a ski weekend in Utah (a very enjoyable activity for me) with a bunch of whiny, sullen stick-in-the-mud folks. I'd have a better time with the fun bunch (and not necessarily because of the requisite intake of alcohol inherent in that sort of thing, although that would probably help). The February FL Dive-Of-The-Month was a great example: crappy weather, very few manatees, had a great time anyway because of the people that were sharing the experience.

In other words, I'm easy...:-D

Cheers!

Jim
Courage is not the absence of fear. Courage is what you do in spite of your fear.

Every man has fear. Any man who has no fear belongs in an institution. Or in Special Forces.

#6 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic
  • Logged Dives:too many logged, too many not logged...:)

Posted 28 March 2006 - 05:47 PM

During some of our more recent colder and holiday filled months I put together a couple non-diving events for our dive shop that turned out to be pretty fun. One was a Blue Planet showing using our our infocus projector on the big screen and some fabulous speakers almost replicated a small theater showing. Another was a bowling night - I sucked so bad they considered putting up the children's bumpers for me. Another idea we tabled until the Fall is a "Pool Shark" night at a local billards hall. Why did we table it? We're back diving! :P

I also think a DeepSea 3d IMAX night would be another idea for those near IMAX theaters. Hope these ideas help your already FABULOUS list!
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users