• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Help Getting on board

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 nextariel

nextariel

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,531 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:350+

Posted 22 March 2006 - 07:33 PM

I work out with weights and am in fairly good shape. But for some reason the last 2 steps of a boat ladder are difficult with a tank on my back. Does anyone have suggestions for building the muscles used to get back on board?
Laugh at yourself first, before anyone else can. --Elsa Maxwell, September 28, 1958

#2 Starfish Sandy

Starfish Sandy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,323 posts
  • Cert Level:aow, nitrox
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 22 March 2006 - 07:51 PM

Great question Jill - I've been using the leg press - just made it up to 180 pounds - hoping that I am making the right muscles stronger!
Known puker

#3 finGrabber

finGrabber

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,276 posts
  • Board Status:thinkin' about diving
  • Cert Level:DM; TDI Adv Nitrox and Deco Procedures
  • Logged Dives:1200 ish

Posted 22 March 2006 - 08:29 PM

I'd say that the leg press is a great exercise, but you need to work on your mid-section as well

part of what keeps your back straight is your abdomen so do some work on that too!

#4 finley

finley

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW (plus EMT Training)
  • Logged Dives:45

Posted 22 March 2006 - 09:05 PM

I work out with weights and am in fairly good shape. But for some reason the last 2 steps of a boat ladder are difficult with a tank on my back. Does anyone have suggestions for building the muscles used to get back on board?

squars with weights
who's leading this parade anyway?

#5 Desert_Diver

Desert_Diver

Everyone knows me

• Charter Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI AOW, TDI Nitrox (does it really matter to you??)
  • Logged Dives:130 something

Posted 22 March 2006 - 09:22 PM

squats with weights

Deep knee bends with doubles on? :bam:

(heck, I can't even LIFT a pair of twin steel 120s without hurting something!)

#6 Capn Jack

Capn Jack

• Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts
  • Board Status:Working to fund the next trip
  • Cert Level:YMCA in 65, dove till 79, returned in 2002... now will work for air and/or beer as a DM
  • Logged Dives:not enough

Posted 22 March 2006 - 09:55 PM

Exercise is a good plan, the weighted squats are probably the best place to focus. Remember core strength is very important for balance.

A couple of other ideas:

Think about using the movement of the boat to assist you - time your steps to work with the boat.

Nothing wrong with pausing a few seconds as your gear clears the water - you can catch your wind, and let your gear drain - that helps reduce the weight

If you're small, or packing doubles or tired or physically challenged -

Talk to the DM, and discuss your options before the dive... here are a few I suggest

1 - the DM can grab your tank yoke and help pull you up the last step
2 - Hand up your weights
3 - Clip/tie your gear off to the tag line and get some help hauling it aboard when everyone else is onboard

Edited by Capn Jack, 22 March 2006 - 09:57 PM.

No aquarium, no tank in a marine land, however spacious it may be, can begin to duplicate the conditions of the sea. And no dolphin who inhabits one of those aquariums or one of those marine lands can be considered normal.
Jacques Yves Cousteau

#7 TekDiveGirl

TekDiveGirl

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 242 posts
  • Cert Level:Technical Divemaster - trained through advanced wreck and Advanced Tri-mix
  • Logged Dives:A whole bunch - I don't know excactly as my logbook was destroyed... )-; It's a long story -- you really don't want to know...

Posted 22 March 2006 - 10:38 PM

If you're small, or packing doubles or tired or physically challenged -

Talk to the DM, and discuss your options before the dive... here are a few I suggest

1 - the DM can grab your tank yoke and help pull you up the last step
2 - Hand up your weights
3 - Clip/tie your gear off to the tag line and get some help hauling it aboard when everyone else is onboard

And if you small and packing doubles??? :whistle:

Good suggestions for people that need that extra help.

And don't forget to tip that helpful DM.

Kimber
Kimber

Pink ~~~
It's the New Black!!!

#8 Latitude Adjustment

Latitude Adjustment

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,658 posts
  • Cert Level:EanX
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 23 March 2006 - 07:14 AM

Back in the early 70's I surfaced behind the boat and well past the trail line, there was a good current running and my legs were turning to rubber trying to catch the boat. Everyone was on the bow looking for me and with the wind in their face couldn't hear my whistle. Just about the time I was going to ditch my Nikon I grabbed the trail line.
The next day I went out and bought a bike to strengthen my legs, beware that this may change your wetsuit size!
Dive ladders have never given me a problem but pulling my self into a dingy has.
I, Latitude Adjustment (insert log in name), do hereby swear, (politely), that I shall not hold SingleDivers, (SD), nor any SD poster, (real or imagined), liable, nor shall I seek legal restitution, (real or imagined), for any perceived, (real or imagined), offenses I may incur, (or Incurrrrrrrrrr on talk like a pirate day), that may or may not be posted on this or any SCUBA related board, (real or imagined), by anyone, (real or imagined), anywhere, (real or imagined). Further, I void any right to privacy, (real or imagined), as it may, or may not relate to any posting, (real or imagined), about me, to me, for me, because of me, all about me, my dog, my cat, my bird, my monkey, my family, (real or imagined), my friends, (real or imagined), or my world, (real or imagined).

By all that is wet, I do hereby swear, (politely), and attest, upon pain of never diving again, (real or imagined), that I understand and affirm, that I agree to the above.

_________________________________________(log in name signature)
Signed and Dated

#9 Capn Jack

Capn Jack

• Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts
  • Cert Level:YMCA in 65, dove till 79, returned in 2002... now will work for air and/or beer as a DM

Posted 23 March 2006 - 02:57 PM

One more in the exercise category....

Gear up at home, and do stair step exercises
No aquarium, no tank in a marine land, however spacious it may be, can begin to duplicate the conditions of the sea. And no dolphin who inhabits one of those aquariums or one of those marine lands can be considered normal.
Jacques Yves Cousteau

#10 TekDiveGirl

TekDiveGirl

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 242 posts
  • Cert Level:Technical Divemaster - trained through advanced wreck and Advanced Tri-mix
  • Logged Dives:A whole bunch - I don't know excactly as my logbook was destroyed... )-; It's a long story -- you really don't want to know...

Posted 23 March 2006 - 06:49 PM

One more in the exercise category....

Gear up at home, and do stair step exercises

Sooo -- which gear should I use -- the twin 104s -- twin 95s or twin 85s? Maybe just grab a deco bottle or two? :angel2:

Actually I think going somewhere you could actually walk stairs or using one of those steps people use for aerobic stepping class would be more beneficial -- where you actually have to lift the gear up with your musculature vs just the action of your legs going up and down and the gear basically staying stationary.

Kimber
Kimber

Pink ~~~
It's the New Black!!!

#11 nextariel

nextariel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,531 posts

Posted 23 March 2006 - 07:03 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. Since I already do squats will add some weights. Getting the DM to pull that tank yoke is wonderful, but sometimes you can ask for help and they look at you like maybe you shouldn't be diving if you can't get back on the boat.

I don't have any stairs, but maybe putting all the weight I own in my BC trim pockets and climbing up and down a ladder will work. (Not going to ditch my weight pockets when getting on board)

It seems to be when I get to where my arms are even with my body and I have to get the center above my arms is the problem. I think my legs are strong, but my upper back and shoulders aren't strong enough.
Laugh at yourself first, before anyone else can. --Elsa Maxwell, September 28, 1958

#12 cmt489

cmt489

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,346 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:75+

Posted 27 March 2006 - 09:36 AM

Getting the DM to pull that tank yoke is wonderful, but sometimes you can ask for help and they look at you like maybe you shouldn't be diving if you can't get back on the boat.

My thought on this is that those that look at you like you shouldn't be diving should not be acting as professional DMs. This is their job and they are obliged to do it.

#13 Capn Jack

Capn Jack

• Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 10:18 AM

Getting the DM to pull that tank yoke is wonderful, but sometimes you can ask for help and they look at you like maybe you shouldn't be diving if you can't get back on the boat.

My thought on this is that those that look at you like you shouldn't be diving should not be acting as professional DMs. This is their job and they are obliged to do it.

ANYTIME you do not appreciate the attitude of the crew, make sure the owner/operator knows. Most of us work for the joy, and don't need jerks like this in the industry. You are the customer.

If the attitude of the operator mirrors that of the rude DM, let the rest of us know. Bad news travels pretty well.

There are a lot of divers out there who have difficulties for one reason or another. That is one major reason why the crew is there, to help their CUSTOMERS enjoy the experience. This ain't boot camp, you're paying for service.

Arrrh, to the plank with them!!!
Jacques Yves Cousteau

#14 Dennis

Dennis

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 895 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Open Water II, & Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 27 March 2006 - 10:39 AM

Donna has this same issue. I give the DM a hint when we get on board, that if he/she gives Donna a boost as she is coming up the ladder, they get a better tip.
DSSW,
Dennis
"Suppose you were an idiot ... And suppose you were a member of Congress ... But I repeat myself." --Mark Twain

#15 nextariel

nextariel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,531 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 05:38 PM

Thanks for all the support on this. A week of diving 4-5 times a day takes its toll, and that little assistance makes it soooo much easier.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users