• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

the Deep Sea Angler

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Desert_Diver

Desert_Diver

Everyone knows me

• Charter Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI AOW, TDI Nitrox (does it really matter to you??)
  • Logged Dives:130 something

Posted 22 March 2006 - 10:14 PM

I thought the ladies would appreciate this one. :bam:

A strange fact about the deep sea angler is that the male is 40 times smaller and different in appearance from the female, which is pictured below. The male of the species is about the size of a finger and has small hook teeth which it uses to attach itself to the female. Once attached, its blood vessels join with that of the female and it will spend the rest of its life joined to her like a parasite, getting all of its nourishment from her body. Without any need for most of his organ systems, such as eyes and digestive organs, the male's body degenerates into essentially a pair of sperm-producing testicles. If the male is unable to attach to a female, it will eventually dies of starvation.

Saw it on Animal Planet, and had to look the reference up. And I thought I'd seen some really one-sided relationships, before...

(note: I kinda blended stuff from two websites to get the details complete, and couldn't post the picture 'cos the upload permissions are screwey after the transfer)

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by Desert_Diver, 22 March 2006 - 10:59 PM.

#2 Desert_Diver

Desert_Diver

Everyone knows me

• Charter Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 26 March 2006 - 09:59 PM

Sheesh! Here I find this *great* straight-line for the ladies, and not even ONE comment? Is it just 'cos someone moved it out of the 'non-diving related' forum into this one, and everyone's afraid to play with it??

#3 annasea

annasea

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 26 March 2006 - 10:08 PM

Most interesting! :twist:

(I never even saw this in the previous forum -- just discovered it today because of your second post, Stan.)

#4 BeachBunny

BeachBunny

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts
  • Cert Level:Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:Not enough but I am working on it!

Posted 26 March 2006 - 10:37 PM

WOW
"In order to be irreplaceable one must always be different" CoCo Chanel

beachbunny@singledivers.com

"Be the change you wish to see in the world"
Ghandi

#5 Desert_Diver

Desert_Diver

Everyone knows me

• Charter Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 07:06 PM

Yep, and you ladies thought YOU had boyfriend problems! I think this takes the cake as the ultimate hanger-on. Amazingly, the show on Animal Planet said that the female has some sort of control over the testes, once they're integrated into her repertoire. Sure beats having to hunt around for a mate,

Utterly weird. The animals that can flip sexes don't even come CLOSE to this pair. Hmmm. Are they still a 'couple' if his brain and most of his body is gone? Would the human equivalent procedure be called an 'addadictomy'? (tryin' REAL hard to keep it PG-13 rated).

There's a bunch of other weirdies at http://www.seasky.or...ers/sea7a2.html
NOW I know where 6gill's name came from! The Vampire Squid looks pretty science-fictiony, undoubtedly a B-grade movie.

#6 captsteve

captsteve

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts
  • Cert Level:aow/nitrox
  • Logged Dives:absolutly no idea

Posted 27 March 2006 - 07:57 PM

sorry stan...... im not touching this one............

#7 annasea

annasea

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 08:53 PM

There's a bunch of other weirdies at http://www.seasky.or...ers/sea7a2.html

VERY cool website, Stan! :banghead: (And that PADI instructor said there was nothing worth seeing below 60' anyway... tsk! :lmao:) Too bad there weren't any actual photos of most of the creatures though. :D

#8 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic
  • Logged Dives:too many logged, too many not logged...:)

Posted 27 March 2006 - 09:43 PM

I also um don't really know what to comment - but I don't think I'd want a relationship like that! :banghead:
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users