• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Reel pin/screw rusted up

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic
  • Logged Dives:too many logged, too many not logged...:)

Posted 29 March 2006 - 05:33 PM

I have a great little 50' reel that has a metal pin/screw. It completed rusted over. How you ponder? Some wingnut* threw it in my weight bucket and then wet weights were thrown on top of it. By the time it was located - the damage was done.

What are my options to get the rusted pin/screw out and then what are my options to make it work again? Am I going to need to pull out my hacksaw? I do have one (*thanks Dad*).

* the wingnut shall remain nameless as I may inadvertently incriminate myself...

FYI - I now make sure when I buy reels that the pin/screw is plastic to avoid the rusting. Is there any drawback to selecting a plastic pin/screw over a metal one? Also, is it a pin or a screw!!??? :)

[For the handsaw challenged, a quick little guide to selecting the right handsaw for a particular job can be found by clicking here.]
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#2 Latitude Adjustment

Latitude Adjustment

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,658 posts
  • Cert Level:EanX
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 29 March 2006 - 07:07 PM

I assume you are talking about the thumb screw to stop the reel from turning, I have a Dive Rite that came with the plastic one which seemed like a good idea at the time but its to small of a diameter and it snapped off. I drilled it out, tapped the hole and replaced it with a stainless thumb screw I bought at West Marine.
If you don't have the tools let me know.
I, Latitude Adjustment (insert log in name), do hereby swear, (politely), that I shall not hold SingleDivers, (SD), nor any SD poster, (real or imagined), liable, nor shall I seek legal restitution, (real or imagined), for any perceived, (real or imagined), offenses I may incur, (or Incurrrrrrrrrr on talk like a pirate day), that may or may not be posted on this or any SCUBA related board, (real or imagined), by anyone, (real or imagined), anywhere, (real or imagined). Further, I void any right to privacy, (real or imagined), as it may, or may not relate to any posting, (real or imagined), about me, to me, for me, because of me, all about me, my dog, my cat, my bird, my monkey, my family, (real or imagined), my friends, (real or imagined), or my world, (real or imagined).

By all that is wet, I do hereby swear, (politely), and attest, upon pain of never diving again, (real or imagined), that I understand and affirm, that I agree to the above.

_________________________________________(log in name signature)
Signed and Dated

#3 intotheblue

intotheblue

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts
  • Cert Level:diving since high school; rec, tech, cave and wreck, as well as exploration and expedition diving
  • Logged Dives:Thousands... (really!)

Posted 29 March 2006 - 07:20 PM

Hey, Wingnut! :taz:

Gee, I hate it when that happens... Well, I have an assortment of penetrating lubricants ranging from Corrosion X (red) to WD 40. I like WD-40 least, but if you have it around, try it. LPS has some good penetrating oils probably available at your home improvement store or a Graingers. I believe LPS3 is the one for this, but I may be remembering incorrectly.

Spray your penetrating oil liberally on the pin/screw (probably it's a screw) or soak the area if you can. If spraying it, repeat whenever you think about it for a couple days if you're not in a hurry. Is the reel metal? Loaded with line? After letting the penetrating oil "penetrate", begin to "work" the rusted pin/screw, possibly using pliers if you need a bit more leverage. Since I am not exactly sure what you have, I can't tell you much on how hard to work it back and forth. If you have to cut it off, you can then drill it out and re-tap the hole for a new screw (I'm assuming this is the "set" screw stopping the reel from turning? If this doesn't make sense to you, post a pic or tell us what kind of reel it is and one of us may be able to provide more help.

Plastic doesn't corrode but can break or strip more easily. Metal will bend or corrode (especially if it's not stainless). A dissimilar metal in a metal reel will be a victim of corrosion of the reel or the screw, depending on the materials. Depending on the need for the reel, a spool is alot simpler and has no moving parts, just a double-ender. Being a 50 footer, I highly recommend a one piece delrin spool with double ender. They are simple to use and hard to screw up.

ITB... :)
"The most important thing is to never stop breathing"... ITB

Actually, the WORST day of diving is better than the BEST day at work... :)

and... my life is not measured by the number of breaths I take, but by the number of breaths I take UNDER WATER :)

"I see you are no stranger to pain." -- "I was married... TWICE!!!" HOT SHOTS, PART DEUX

#4 6Gill

6Gill

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts
  • Logged Dives:100+

Posted 29 March 2006 - 10:48 PM

What are my options to get the rusted pin/screw out and then what are my options to make it wors again? Am I going to need to pull out my hacksaw? I do have one (*thanks Dad*).

Another option is an ultra sonic cleaner.
I perfer metal and make sure it's marine grade S/S(all metals come in a varity of grades with different properties).If it is the hold down screw some manufactures offer the option of whats known as a cold water screw(designed for use with gloves)

#5 captsteve

captsteve

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts
  • Cert Level:aow/nitrox
  • Logged Dives:absolutly no idea

Posted 29 March 2006 - 11:13 PM

Aerokroil..... it comes in an orange spray can and has the smallest molecules of any penetrating lubricant. it is hard to find, but well worth it!
if that doesnt work, you can always use the drill and tap..............

#6 mechanical31

mechanical31

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:40

Posted 30 March 2006 - 02:16 PM

actually I think you meen a drill and an ez out. they work great. The above mentioned aerokroil is definately the best penetrating oil. If it won't damage the reel, a heating torch and impact driver will take it out.
I'mA riddle so strong, you can't break me.
Alice in Chains

#7 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic

Posted 30 March 2006 - 02:57 PM

If it won't damage the reel, a heating torch and impact driver will take it out.

hmmm....Dad and I need to take a trip to Home Depot! I don't have a heating torch or impact driver! :cheerleader:

Are you sure a hacksaw and tap wouldn't work?
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#8 ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts
  • Cert Level:Course Director; CCR Instructor
  • Logged Dives:2000+

Posted 30 March 2006 - 03:06 PM

Make sure to get marine grade stainless, not just stainless. Also, some plastics and nylon will actually swell from using in water, making the screw harder to turn after using for a while. So, this might be something else to consider in the plastic versus steel screw consideration.

Make sure to lubricate the screw occasionally so that this doesn't happen again to you. Yes, another bit a gear maintenance to add to the list. :cheerleader:
"The most important thing is not to stop questioning." Albert Einstein

"For the diligent diver, closed circuit rebreathers are actually safer than open circuit scuba." Tom Mount

#9 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts

Posted 30 March 2006 - 03:27 PM

Make sure to lubricate the screw occasionally so that this doesn't happen again to you. Yes, another bit a gear maintenance to add to the list. :o

OK, what kind of lubicrant do I use on the screw?

[serious question - but sustaining childish laughter...]

#10 ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts
  • Cert Level:Course Director; CCR Instructor
  • Logged Dives:2000+

Posted 30 March 2006 - 03:30 PM

Make sure to lubricate the screw occasionally so that this doesn't happen again to you. Yes, another bit a gear maintenance to add to the list. :o

OK, what kind of lubicrant do I use on the screw?

[serious question - but sustaining childish laughter...]

I have had pretty good luck with zipper wax.
"The most important thing is not to stop questioning." Albert Einstein

"For the diligent diver, closed circuit rebreathers are actually safer than open circuit scuba." Tom Mount

#11 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts

Posted 30 March 2006 - 03:35 PM

excellent - that I already have in the save-a-dive kit!

#12 captsteve

captsteve

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts
  • Cert Level:aow/nitrox
  • Logged Dives:absolutly no idea

Posted 30 March 2006 - 07:17 PM

marine grade stainless is #316.......make sure any screw or bolt you use does not have threads where it passes through a moving part as this would contribute to excessive wear......

#13 intotheblue

intotheblue

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts
  • Cert Level:diving since high school; rec, tech, cave and wreck, as well as exploration and expedition diving
  • Logged Dives:Thousands... (really!)

Posted 30 March 2006 - 07:56 PM

If it won't damage the reel, a heating torch and impact driver will take it out.

hmmm....Dad and I need to take a trip to Home Depot! I don't have a heating torch or impact driver! :fish:

Are you sure a hacksaw and tap wouldn't work?

the hacksaw would be useful only to cut the thumb end off the set screw. It is unlikely you will want to do this yet. Only if you are unable to loosen the screw will you want to cut it off, making the cut squarely across the screw. Then take a center punch and make an indentation in the sawed off end of the screw so you can drill down through the screw inside its hole without the bit wandering off course and damaging the other surface. Then use a drill bit the size of the screw or a wee bit smaller to drill the rest of the screw out. Use the penetrating oil on this as you drill, and chances are that as soon as you get it mostly drilled through, the remnants of the screw will come loose in its hole. The oil will also lubricate the bit as it cuts. Then use a tap to "re-thread" the hole for your replacement screw. My DR reels came with extra screws... don't know about yours. BTW, you will probably want to see if you can remove the spool before doing this. Also, if you can remove any plastic, you might be able to heat the metal surrounding the screw enough to assist in loosening it before you cut it. Don't cut it if you intend to still try to turn it out of it's hole. You will need what ever is there to grab onto to turn it. Buenos suerte!

:o
"The most important thing is to never stop breathing"... ITB

Actually, the WORST day of diving is better than the BEST day at work... :)

and... my life is not measured by the number of breaths I take, but by the number of breaths I take UNDER WATER :)

"I see you are no stranger to pain." -- "I was married... TWICE!!!" HOT SHOTS, PART DEUX

#14 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts

Posted 30 March 2006 - 08:22 PM

maybe I need to grab the digital camera. The screw is so encrusted over - it looks like something you'd recover from a very old wreck.....the wingnut is so ashamed....

#15 BradfordNC

BradfordNC

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 815 posts
  • Cert Level:certifi-what?
  • Logged Dives:2 and 1/2

Posted 30 March 2006 - 09:14 PM

hey Nicolle, do you wanna screw? lol might need some penetrating oil for that huh? lol

SDM suggests you use zipper wax. i'm sure you have plenty of experiance with that product :hiya:

but seriously, a 50' reel.
my suggestion is to get the line off it, and put it on a spool.
you'll never have to worry about your screwing getting rusty due to lack of use. lol
or from some wingnut leaving it in a bucket with differing metals.

:teeth:
OK, lets make a deal. If you stop telling me how to dive, I'll stop going down to the bus station at 2am to slap d***s out of your mouth.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users