• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Diving and flying

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Cairo

Cairo

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 68 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:I lost count.

Posted 11 April 2006 - 01:40 AM

Anyone know where I can read something decent about flying then diving? I hear wait 12 hours but is there any real in depth info on it? Because what better way to waste time before flying to Florida than to go diving whos gonna argue that one? I mean its not like my heads gonna explode or anything..............right? Oh and if anyone wants to know the dolphins are out at Kahe Point. Had a pretty close encounter with em this weekend yet no photographic evidence.

#2 Capn Jack

Capn Jack

I spend too much time on line

• Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts
  • Board Status:Working to fund the next trip
  • Cert Level:YMCA in 65, dove till 79, returned in 2002... now will work for air and/or beer as a DM
  • Logged Dives:not enough

Posted 11 April 2006 - 05:57 AM

Anyone know where I can read something decent about flying then diving?

This is what DAN has on their website - there is more available if you are a DAN member, just follow the link on this page for the workshop report:

Diving and Flying study

DAN Medical Research
DAN Flying After Diving : Results Project Overview
Results

The study was conducted from 1993 to 1999 for 802 exposures. There were 40 DCS (decompression sickness) incidents (5%), of which 21 were moderate DCS, 18 mild DCS, and 1 serious DCS.

Data were presented at a Flying After Diving Workshop at DAN in May 2002 and the following guidelines were the consensus. They apply to air dives followed by flights at cabin altitudes of 2,000 to 8,000 feet (610 to 2,438 meters) for divers who do not have symptoms of decompression sickness (DCS). The recommended preflight surface intervals do not guarantee avoidance of DCS. Longer surface intervals will reduce DCS risk further. For a single no-decompression dive, a minimum preflight surface interval of 12 hours is suggested. For dives requiring decompression stops, there is little evidence on which to base a recommendation and a preflight surface interval substantially longer than 18 hours appears prudent.

A second flying after diving study began in 2002 with support from the U.S. Navy. The study is investigating additional dive profiles and oxygen breathing in the surface intervals as a possible method for making the surface intervals shorter.

No aquarium, no tank in a marine land, however spacious it may be, can begin to duplicate the conditions of the sea. And no dolphin who inhabits one of those aquariums or one of those marine lands can be considered normal.
Jacques Yves Cousteau

#3 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic
  • Logged Dives:too many logged, too many not logged...:)

Posted 11 April 2006 - 04:26 PM

Great question Red! I remember when I first starting flying to dive destinations having to go - oh crud that whole diving/flight thing from OW class is now affecting me!! My rule of thumb summary* from DAN and other dive materials is:

single dive in a single day - wait 12 hours
multiple dives in a single day - wait 18 hours
multiple dives in multiple days - wait 24 hours or more

This almost perfectly mirrors DAN's Revised Flying After Diving Guidelines for Recreational Diving.

* note: each diver is ultimately responsible for themselves and divers can still get bent while in-flight even after following all recommended rules as they are based on studies and averages. Each body is different - again as a reminder you are responsible for yourself.
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#4 6Gill

6Gill

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts
  • Logged Dives:100+

Posted 11 April 2006 - 10:55 PM

This should also be a consideration when driving up and over a mountain range.

#5 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic
  • Logged Dives:too many logged, too many not logged...:)

Posted 11 April 2006 - 11:14 PM

Good point 6gill! I had to take that into consideration when I dove Homestead create a few years ago! Those mountain passes. Plus we have to take that into consideration when diving Oregon lakes.
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#6 peterbj7

peterbj7

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:over 4000

Posted 14 June 2006 - 12:46 PM

Don't forget that diving is a new sport and the science of diving is still growing. DAN's recommendations are merely the best we know so far, but they may well change over time, just as they have done in the past. Leave as long as you can, hydrate well after the dive, steer clear of alcohol/smoking, and generally try to reduce the odds.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users