• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Free Ascents - Do you know how?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#16 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic
  • Logged Dives:too many logged, too many not logged...:)

Posted 24 April 2006 - 12:17 PM

Shooting a lift bag does seem like a good way to add additional visual control in the process, though I've never seen this done on the sport boat dives I've been on. I think it would be a good idea to alert the boat captain in advance, otherwise they might mistake it for an emergency signal.

That's a great dive planning point BB.
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#17 peterbj7

peterbj7

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:over 4000

Posted 14 June 2006 - 01:04 PM

I never go diving without a DSMB (safety sausage or lift bag). Doesn't remove the need for good buoyancy control but makes things easier and safer. Safer because people on the surface (boats, etc) can see where you're coming up, and easier because judging your buoyancy is much easier with a visual reference (the line). It worries me how many people here don't use them, and blithely surface in the middle of nowhere hoping that their own boat has seen them and all other boats avoid them.

Mind you, I had an inverted ascent rather like DiveGirl's. Mine was produced by inexperience with a drysuit, and actually on that occasion I tangled in the DSMB line and it made it worse.

In Europe routine ascent DSMBs are red, with yellow being reserved for emergencies. Very useful distinction that unfortunately doesn't seem to be recognised in the USA.

#18 Desert_Diver

Desert_Diver

Everyone knows me

• Charter Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI AOW, TDI Nitrox (does it really matter to you??)
  • Logged Dives:130 something

Posted 15 June 2006 - 04:17 PM

In Europe routine ascent DSMBs are red, with yellow being reserved for emergencies. Very useful distinction that unfortunately doesn't seem to be recognised in the USA.

I know the tech threads on it I've read suggest the same, so we're not totally ignorant of it in the US, but there's not a lot of support for red/orange and yellow. My favorite DSMB is the Carter, and at the time I bought it was only available in yellow. That may change eventually, but I won't be carrying TWO of 'em any time soon. One is bulky enough for recreational diving, and I'm fine with free ascents so I'll keep carrying the yellow one.

#19 6Gill

6Gill

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts
  • Logged Dives:100+

Posted 15 June 2006 - 10:39 PM

Well driving on the right side of the road isn't universal and not all diving protocols are universal.When in Rome....

#20 peterbj7

peterbj7

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts

Posted 24 June 2006 - 10:11 AM

As I said, it is a USEFUL distinction that was developed for a purpose, not just a custom.

As to driving on the right, countries which do that owe it all to Napoleon. Countries that he conquered or heavily influenced all followed his edict to change from the left to the right so as to be different from England, his sworn enemy. Prior to Napoleon all road users kept to the left, so as to have their sword arm (right, in most cases) nearer to a stranger who might be an enemy. Driving on the right is as arbitrary as the metre and the kilogram, both of which he also foisted on an unwilling Europe, but after his American influence had waned. Otherwise you'd be using those too.

#21 tracker

tracker

Getting started

• Pip
  • 26 posts
  • Cert Level:OW
  • Logged Dives:18

Posted 03 July 2006 - 12:30 PM

I can control my ascent with BC alone, but, on my very first ascent, I shot to the surface. For a while after that, I would let most of the air out of my BC and swim to the surface. I still use both methods depending on the situation.

#22 6Gill

6Gill

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 03 July 2006 - 11:49 PM

As I said, it is a USEFUL distinction that was developed for a purpose, not just a custom.

As to driving on the right, countries which do that owe it all to Napoleon. Countries that he conquered or heavily influenced all followed his edict to change from the left to the right so as to be different from England, his sworn enemy. Prior to Napoleon all road users kept to the left, so as to have their sword arm (right, in most cases) nearer to a stranger who might be an enemy. Driving on the right is as arbitrary as the metre and the kilogram, both of which he also foisted on an unwilling Europe, but after his American influence had waned. Otherwise you'd be using those too.

Well I've been known to drive on the left side of the road,even a sidewalk or two.As to the metric I prefer it but being here in Canada along with being bilingual we(at least those in manufacuring) tend to work in both

Peter,
There is a book you might enjoy "The Measure of All Things-The seven year odyssey and the hidden error that transformed the world" by Ken Alder ISBN-0-7432-1675-X.It is the history of the development of the metric system and lots of intresting histrical info along with some of the issues in developing a standered

#23 peterbj7

peterbj7

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts

Posted 04 July 2006 - 07:26 PM

Well I've been known to drive on the left side of the road,even a sidewalk or two.As to the metric I prefer it but being here in Canada along with being bilingual we(at least those in manufacuring) tend to work in both

Peter,
There is a book you might enjoy "The Measure of All Things-The seven year odyssey and the hidden error that transformed the world" by Ken Alder ISBN-0-7432-1675-X.It is the history of the development of the metric system and lots of intresting histrical info along with some of the issues in developing a standered

Thanks Eric, I'll look it up next time I'm in a civilised country! As an aside, many non-Brits believe we're totally metric in the UK. Nothing could be further from the truth. The metric system has been taught for many decades and has been used in engineering and science for at least 50 years, probably much longer. But we still use feet & inches, pounds & ounces, etc. And pints & gallons, though they're 25% bigger than the US ones. Over the past few years the EU has increasingly been compelling Britain to follow the EU lead and convert all everyday measurements to metric. This has met with a lot of opposition, so they've actually made it illegal to use imperial measures in many instances. Interested members can read about the nonsenses this creates on http://www.telegraph.../02/nbook02.xml and related pages.

#24 6Gill

6Gill

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 04 July 2006 - 10:57 PM

Thanks Eric, I'll look it up next time I'm in a civilised country! As an aside, many non-Brits believe we're totally metric in the UK. Nothing could be further from the truth. The metric system has been taught for many decades and has been used in engineering and science for at least 50 years, probably much longer. But we still use feet & inches, pounds & ounces, etc. And pints & gallons, though they're 25% bigger than the US ones. Over the past few years the EU has increasingly been compelling Britain to follow the EU lead and convert all everyday measurements to metric. This has met with a lot of opposition, so they've actually made it illegal to use imperial measures in many instances. Interested members can read about the nonsenses this creates on http://www.telegraph.../02/nbook02.xml and related pages.

The EU's stance on bangers 'n' mash is cause for concern...
As much as the American seem to dislke metric it is slowly invading their everyday life now if they would only add some colour to their money(green is so yesterday)

Edited by 6Gill, 04 July 2006 - 10:58 PM.

#25 fbp

fbp

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 764 posts
  • Cert Level:Dive Master - Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:1000+

Posted 05 July 2006 - 07:13 AM

Dry suit:
Open valve all the way
grab computer and BCD air/dump in right hand (camera in left eh??)
hold arm (elbow) up for dumping
Swim kick to the surface

get to 15-20' for safety stop, usually able to stabilize or add a little air and drop arm until ready to come up

This way air is dumping as I rise, I can see my 'puter to watch for speed, and have hand on BC for the surface inflate
(I don't use the BC for UW buoyancy - just the Dry Suit)

Seems to work OK, I try not to use line as they're usually a mess and ever one else is on it.. in current??
LOL... you betcha, the Ascent line is the first thing I grab...

Edited by fbp, 05 July 2006 - 07:14 AM.

fpoole
Diving & Gliding..
Hiking & Camping.
Shooting (photos) the Great Nor'West

www.poolesweb.com/

#26 Desert_Diver

Desert_Diver

Everyone knows me

• Charter Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 08:48 AM

The EU's stance on bangers 'n' mash is cause for concern...
As much as the American seem to dislke metric it is slowly invading their everyday life now if they would only add some colour to their money(green is so yesterday)

Obviously, we follow the lead of our friends, the Brits (and not our 'friends', the French). If the British public tell the French to "sod off wit' yer silly metric system", then we're in sound agreement! Vive la PINT!

And the green is Traditional. You *do* have Traditions up there in Canada, doncha? :birthday:
Hey, at least WE didn't whip up a coin with the Queen on one side and a beaver on the reverse! :birthday:
Was that a joke, an insult, or a monumental oversight??

#27 6Gill

6Gill

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 11:24 PM

Obviously, we follow the lead of our friends, the Brits (and not our 'friends', the French). If the British public tell the French to "sod off wit' yer silly metric system", then we're in sound agreement! Vive la PINT!

And the green is Traditional. You *do* have Traditions up there in Canada, doncha? :wakawaka:
Hey, at least WE didn't whip up a coin with the Queen on one side and a beaver on the reverse! :-D
Was that a joke, an insult, or a monumental oversight??

I'm confused.... but wasn't it your French friends that helped you againts the British(hey no hard feelings)?In return you snubb the French metric system and to really confuse things change the size of the gallon(now we have the imperial gallon and the US gallon).As a side note T.Jefferson was in favor of adopting the metric system,I wont even get into the tragic waste of tea. :D
Unless you know the secret handshake you can't be privy to Canadian tradition(but if you do learn of any please share 'cause they aint telling me) :P
The Queen,the coin,her beaver...well I guess you had to be there :cool1:
You think thats bad any guesses what Ben Franklins first choice for a national bird was? :o

Edited by 6Gill, 05 July 2006 - 11:26 PM.

#28 fbp

fbp

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 764 posts
  • Cert Level:Dive Master - Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:1000+

Posted 06 July 2006 - 06:24 AM

Franklin"s National bird = Turkey
Secret hand shake = Handing one a beer...

Love the Canadians..
Keep up the good diving eh?
fpoole
Diving & Gliding..
Hiking & Camping.
Shooting (photos) the Great Nor'West

www.poolesweb.com/

#29 Desert_Diver

Desert_Diver

Everyone knows me

• Charter Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 08:18 AM

I'm not against the French people, just their government. Anyone that sells a fast breeder reactor to the Iraqis obviously doesn't give a hoot for anyone on the planet! They should have gotten UN sanctions, or at least a vote of disapproval for that stunt. Fortunately the Israelis were bright enough to know where Nuke #1 was likely to end up, and they bombed it flat just before it went on-line.

The folks I'd met in the smaller towns in France were just like people everywhere, warm & friendly. The ones in Paris were snotty and rude, but it's probably just a reaction to the vast number of obnoxious tourists. I only spent a day and a bit in Paris, and that's more than enough for me. I'd visit the other towns any time.

They wouldn't allow our planes to overfly their country when we went out to rescue our hostages. That doesn't exactly strike me as the act of a 'friendly' country, more like a hostile one that's pissed at us.

Yeah, they may have helped back in the 1700s, but that's 'cos they were getting paid for it. Again, not the act of a friend, just business.

<I'll leave it be, 'cos I think I've dragged this thread WAY off-topic. Exit soapbox, stage right!>

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users