• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

What additional diving education interests you?

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic
  • Logged Dives:too many logged, too many not logged...:)

Posted 12 April 2006 - 11:28 AM

I make it a goal to challenge myself to continue increasing my diving skills and education so I really value when great class opportunities are available. Last month I took a Search & Recovery course from a fellow instructor. I was very pleased to learn all that I did - especially learning how to tie specific knots and then doing that underwater. I want to learn how to splice line next - and plan on learning that from my friend Melanie in Bimini in May. I have no doubt she'll put me right to work!

I am looking forward to increasing my photography skills and PNW Invertebrate ID skills next.

Do any of you have some "specialty" education that interests you in mind or are there any particular classes and instructors you would recommend (please note areas)?
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#2 ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts
  • Cert Level:Course Director; CCR Instructor
  • Logged Dives:2000+

Posted 12 April 2006 - 09:00 PM

Diving medicine has always interested me. I was lucky enough to learn from a Course Director that was also an anesthesiologist. Later, I completed some of the same training that physicians take to become certified as diving physicians. So interesting but so complex and difficult to learn if you are not already a medical professional! :cool1:

I am always reading something that has to do with diving. Things do change over time, and I want to stay current. If there are any good seminars coming up, let me know. I just might be interested.

If you are ever looking for tech instructors (deco, scootering, Trimix, cave, CCR), I know the right people if you are willing to suffer by coming to the conditions of South Florida. :cool1:

Edited by ScubaDadMiami, 12 April 2006 - 09:01 PM.

"The most important thing is not to stop questioning." Albert Einstein

"For the diligent diver, closed circuit rebreathers are actually safer than open circuit scuba." Tom Mount

#3 blacklatexozdiver

blacklatexozdiver

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 742 posts
  • Board Status:-
  • Cert Level:OW, Drysuit, Underwater Naturalist
  • Logged Dives:16 (pretty hard to dive where there's no water...)

Posted 13 April 2006 - 10:19 AM

Nitrox
Rebreather
Ice Diver
"Gravitation cannot be held responsible for people falling in love." Albert Einstein

SD's Aussie Connection.

#4 Diverbrian

Diverbrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI DiveCon/IANTD Normoxic Trimix.....
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 13 April 2006 - 11:07 AM

Diving medicine has always interested me. I was lucky enough to learn from a Course Director that was also an anesthesiologist. Later, I completed some of the same training that physicians take to become certified as diving physicians. So interesting but so complex and difficult to learn if you are not already a medical professional! :wavey:

I am always reading something that has to do with diving. Things do change over time, and I want to stay current. If there are any good seminars coming up, let me know. I just might be interested.

If you are ever looking for tech instructors (deco, scootering, Trimix, cave, CCR), I know the right people if you are willing to suffer by coming to the conditions of South Florida. :cool2:

I am looking at an Inspiration CCR course in a couple of years and to take my full tri-mix.

The full mix course may require that I do it down in the Florida caves (and work towards a cave cert) as it seems to be difficult to get boats out to the deeper dives that I need up. Blow-outs on these types of dives in the Great Lakes are way too common and vacation is a limited commodity in my case. That won't likely happen until after my CCR course in any event. If I plan to go below 200 ft., I consider it safer on a rebreather.

The CCR course is currently being planned with an instructor out of upstate NY.

As far as the other stuff, I would like to expand my first aid skills beyond the current Infant/Child CPR, AED, Basic First Aid level and I would like to take some boating classes to better learn how to function on a boat as needed.

Course work is not easy for me to do as I am pretty well locked into a straight afternoon schedule at work so any evening courses require to me to take vacation.
A person should be judged in this life not by the mistakes that they make nor by the number of them. Rather they are to be judged by their recovery from them.

#5 ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts
  • Cert Level:Course Director; CCR Instructor
  • Logged Dives:2000+

Posted 13 April 2006 - 11:22 AM

I am looking at an Inspiration CCR course in a couple of years . . . .

Another one to the Dark Side! :wavey: Yes, I agree, it is a tremendous load off of the mind not to have gas-time limitations hanging over me. Even with the double 120s, at 250 feet, I could just about watch the needle drop with every breath. :cool2: No more of that for me! :D
"The most important thing is not to stop questioning." Albert Einstein

"For the diligent diver, closed circuit rebreathers are actually safer than open circuit scuba." Tom Mount

#6 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic

Posted 04 May 2006 - 01:33 PM

Has anyone taken an underwater archeology or research type of course?? If so, where, with who, and I would enjoy reading about what you picked up from the class. Underwater research really intrigues me!!
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#7 Capn Jack

Capn Jack

• Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts
  • Board Status:Working to fund the next trip
  • Cert Level:YMCA in 65, dove till 79, returned in 2002... now will work for air and/or beer as a DM
  • Logged Dives:not enough

Posted 04 May 2006 - 01:42 PM

Advanced Nitrox & Deco
No aquarium, no tank in a marine land, however spacious it may be, can begin to duplicate the conditions of the sea. And no dolphin who inhabits one of those aquariums or one of those marine lands can be considered normal.
Jacques Yves Cousteau

#8 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 04 May 2006 - 01:46 PM

What kind of research? I may be able to point you in a VERY helpful direction.

#9 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 04 May 2006 - 01:48 PM

Lets see... upcoming education:

1. Cave Diving
2. Adv. Nitrox/Deco
3. Trimix (Hypoxic)
4. Wreck penetration
5. CCR Rebreather

That should hold me for another 5-7 years

#10 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts

Posted 04 May 2006 - 01:52 PM

Well I am not limiting myself - so I'd be happy to hear what info you have!

#11 Blackhawk

Blackhawk

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 04 May 2006 - 01:57 PM

I really want to take a wreck penetration course.
I put my right foot in, I put my left foot out, I do the aikipokey and throw you all about :D

#12 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 04 May 2006 - 02:15 PM

Well I am not limiting myself - so I'd be happy to hear what info you have!

The gentleman who owns the shop I am associated with does a very wide variety of research dives. He is a marine biologist by education. He also helps organize these kinds of activities. He did a week-long research dive in the caves in the Caribbean, and is going on a research dive in the Great lakes this summer in conjunction with the Univerity of Wisconson. I had hoped to be ready to act in a supporting role for that, but I'm not ready yet.

If you are really interested in this kind of thing, and you can do decompression diving, he might be interested. Unfortunately, he is MOST interested in rebreather divers because many of the dives they do call for rebreathers.

Let me know, and I'll put you guys in contact with each other.

-P

#13 Latitude Adjustment

Latitude Adjustment

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,658 posts
  • Cert Level:EanX
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 04 May 2006 - 05:28 PM

I'm taking an Equipment course in two weeks and I need to do the rescue course again.
I, Latitude Adjustment (insert log in name), do hereby swear, (politely), that I shall not hold SingleDivers, (SD), nor any SD poster, (real or imagined), liable, nor shall I seek legal restitution, (real or imagined), for any perceived, (real or imagined), offenses I may incur, (or Incurrrrrrrrrr on talk like a pirate day), that may or may not be posted on this or any SCUBA related board, (real or imagined), by anyone, (real or imagined), anywhere, (real or imagined). Further, I void any right to privacy, (real or imagined), as it may, or may not relate to any posting, (real or imagined), about me, to me, for me, because of me, all about me, my dog, my cat, my bird, my monkey, my family, (real or imagined), my friends, (real or imagined), or my world, (real or imagined).

By all that is wet, I do hereby swear, (politely), and attest, upon pain of never diving again, (real or imagined), that I understand and affirm, that I agree to the above.

_________________________________________(log in name signature)
Signed and Dated

#14 VADiver

VADiver

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts
  • Cert Level:GUE T2/C1
  • Logged Dives:400+

Posted 04 May 2006 - 05:33 PM

My next training will be Tech 1 so all of my training dives will be geared toward that. Eventually I want to take Tech 2 and then Cave 1 and 2--by then I should be squared away (and poor!).

I'm also interested in underwater archeology and hope to do more of that this coming season. Documenting historic wrecks is very interesting.

#15 ScubaHawk

ScubaHawk

Midwest HH Planner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,265 posts
  • Cert Level:Dive Master
  • Logged Dives:1000+

Posted 05 May 2006 - 01:42 PM

I had planned on having my Instructors by now - but the broken hand and face messed up the schedule. Then deco and I have been considering combining my love of diving and love of anthropology - throw in a few more classes and get into uw archeology. I've had a few profs over the years that I should be able to call.
Take an SD trip - See old friends you have never met before!
Every existing thing is born without reason, prolongs itself out of weakness, and dies by chance. - Jean-Paul Sartre
I feel the urge, the urge to submerge! -ScubaHawk - Raptor of the Deep !
WHO DAT!!!!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users