• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Travel Tip of the Day 4-17-06

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 finGrabber

finGrabber

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,276 posts
  • Board Status:thinkin' about diving
  • Cert Level:DM; TDI Adv Nitrox and Deco Procedures
  • Logged Dives:1200 ish

Posted 17 April 2006 - 09:55 AM

and today's travel tip:

Put your name, address and telephone numbers inside and outside of each piece of luggage. Use covered luggage tags to avoid casual observation of your identity or nationality. If possible, lock your luggage.

I also like to add that most people seem to have black luggage these days, so you should also consider marking your luggage with a colorful ribbon or a tag that is highly visible to you. You want to make your luggage distiguishable from the other black suitcases on the baggage belt :diver:

#2 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic
  • Logged Dives:too many logged, too many not logged...:)

Posted 17 April 2006 - 10:20 AM

Do you think using crime scene tape would be inappropriate?
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#3 finGrabber

finGrabber

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,276 posts

Posted 17 April 2006 - 10:43 AM

that would be a very visible way to mark you bags!

#4 GentDiver

GentDiver

"Shark-Bait"

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 937 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced Open Water
  • Logged Dives:80

Posted 17 April 2006 - 10:53 AM

Along the same lines, be sure that you check the name of the tag. I almost walked away with someone else luggage a few years ago. That would have been bad for both parties... :diver:

Scott

:-D
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
- Albert Einstein

"Do, or do not. There is no 'try'."
- Yoda ('The Empire Strikes Back')

"And the trees are all kept equal by hatch, axe, and saw"
- Rush (The Trees)

#5 BeachBunny

BeachBunny

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts
  • Cert Level:Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:Not enough but I am working on it!

Posted 17 April 2006 - 02:00 PM

:diver: :-D :lmao: :bam:

Me likey! Do you think they have pink crime scene tape??
"In order to be irreplaceable one must always be different" CoCo Chanel

beachbunny@singledivers.com

"Be the change you wish to see in the world"
Ghandi

#6 Latitude Adjustment

Latitude Adjustment

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,658 posts
  • Cert Level:EanX
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 17 April 2006 - 02:09 PM

That would be a better choice than Biohazard tape although considering what the bag smells like sometimes on the way home it might need it. :diver:
I, Latitude Adjustment (insert log in name), do hereby swear, (politely), that I shall not hold SingleDivers, (SD), nor any SD poster, (real or imagined), liable, nor shall I seek legal restitution, (real or imagined), for any perceived, (real or imagined), offenses I may incur, (or Incurrrrrrrrrr on talk like a pirate day), that may or may not be posted on this or any SCUBA related board, (real or imagined), by anyone, (real or imagined), anywhere, (real or imagined). Further, I void any right to privacy, (real or imagined), as it may, or may not relate to any posting, (real or imagined), about me, to me, for me, because of me, all about me, my dog, my cat, my bird, my monkey, my family, (real or imagined), my friends, (real or imagined), or my world, (real or imagined).

By all that is wet, I do hereby swear, (politely), and attest, upon pain of never diving again, (real or imagined), that I understand and affirm, that I agree to the above.

_________________________________________(log in name signature)
Signed and Dated

#7 Capn Jack

Capn Jack

• Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts
  • Board Status:Working to fund the next trip
  • Cert Level:YMCA in 65, dove till 79, returned in 2002... now will work for air and/or beer as a DM
  • Logged Dives:not enough

Posted 17 April 2006 - 03:44 PM

TSA would like this...

Attached Images

• materialslg.jpg

No aquarium, no tank in a marine land, however spacious it may be, can begin to duplicate the conditions of the sea. And no dolphin who inhabits one of those aquariums or one of those marine lands can be considered normal.
Jacques Yves Cousteau

#8 Latitude Adjustment

Latitude Adjustment

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,658 posts
  • Cert Level:EanX
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 17 April 2006 - 05:52 PM

TSA would like this...

We just had an accident near here where a car got rear ended and caught fire, the Arab looking driver said something about radioactive stuff in the trunk and sure enough there was that label. That sure got peoples attention but he had a legit reason for having the material.
I, Latitude Adjustment (insert log in name), do hereby swear, (politely), that I shall not hold SingleDivers, (SD), nor any SD poster, (real or imagined), liable, nor shall I seek legal restitution, (real or imagined), for any perceived, (real or imagined), offenses I may incur, (or Incurrrrrrrrrr on talk like a pirate day), that may or may not be posted on this or any SCUBA related board, (real or imagined), by anyone, (real or imagined), anywhere, (real or imagined). Further, I void any right to privacy, (real or imagined), as it may, or may not relate to any posting, (real or imagined), about me, to me, for me, because of me, all about me, my dog, my cat, my bird, my monkey, my family, (real or imagined), my friends, (real or imagined), or my world, (real or imagined).

By all that is wet, I do hereby swear, (politely), and attest, upon pain of never diving again, (real or imagined), that I understand and affirm, that I agree to the above.

_________________________________________(log in name signature)
Signed and Dated

#9 finley

finley

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW (plus EMT Training)
  • Logged Dives:45

Posted 17 April 2006 - 08:10 PM

and today's travel tip:

Put your name, address and telephone numbers inside and outside of each piece of luggage. Use covered luggage tags to avoid casual observation of your identity or nationality. If possible, lock your luggage.

I also like to add that most people seem to have black luggage these days, so you should also consider marking your luggage with a colorful ribbon or a tag that is highly visible to you. You want to make your luggage distiguishable from the other black suitcases on the baggage belt :cool2:

I have found locking my luggage or tie wrapping zippers often lands my luggage on a later flight...I guess they choose those to search?
who's leading this parade anyway?

#10 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic
  • Logged Dives:too many logged, too many not logged...:)

Posted 17 April 2006 - 09:07 PM

I find that you can wait until after your bag goes through inspection, then lock it up. I have never had any trouble. I explain I am a diver and ride the "cool" factor of that with the inspectors....:teeth:
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#11 finGrabber

finGrabber

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,276 posts

Posted 17 April 2006 - 09:43 PM

I find that you can wait until after your bag goes through inspection, then lock it up. I have never had any trouble. I explain I am a diver and ride the "cool" factor of that with the inspectors....:teeth:

I haven't had a problem either, but I use the TSA locks or zip ties when possible

#12 intotheblue

intotheblue

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts
  • Cert Level:diving since high school; rec, tech, cave and wreck, as well as exploration and expedition diving
  • Logged Dives:Thousands... (really!)

Posted 18 April 2006 - 08:04 AM

and today's travel tip:

I also like to add that most people seem to have black luggage these days, so you should also consider marking your luggage with a colorful ribbon or a tag that is highly visible to you. You want to make your luggage distiguishable from the other black suitcases on the baggage belt :teeth:

I like the idea of marking my luggage, although most people find that tacky. I do use my P.O. Box address and a phone no. that I can monitor who's calling from. I would not use my physical address or my home phone number on anything someone can use to locate me by driving up to my house after they determine I own expensive equipment related to an expensive "sport" or interest. I like the idea that my information will be obvious if someone picks up the wrong bags and hopefully they will be caught if doing so... but I also don't want them to beat me home to see what else I own... or to car-jack me in the driveway! I posted this in another thread last year... also that I tend to put my "non-carry-on" dive gear in my "suitcase" and my underwear/socks/clothes in my "dive luggage". When possible, I don't use "dive luggage" that screams out, "HEY, OVER HERE.... EXPENSIVE SCUBA EQUIPMENT INSIDE... COME RIP ME OFF!!!". I make sure I carry at least one item I can wear for swimming/diving in my carry-on as well as my mask, camera/housing, computer... The things I really want to make sure I have immediately upon my arrival are in my carry-on. Other things can be rented or replaced, but I need my critical items for a day or so it takes to replace everything else. Also, try to get on the plane fairly early in the order. If the carry-on compartments fill up, they may require you to "check" your carry-on bag at the last minute, potentially separating you from these most important items.

ITB...

:)
"The most important thing is to never stop breathing"... ITB

Actually, the WORST day of diving is better than the BEST day at work... :)

and... my life is not measured by the number of breaths I take, but by the number of breaths I take UNDER WATER :)

"I see you are no stranger to pain." -- "I was married... TWICE!!!" HOT SHOTS, PART DEUX

#13 waterphoto

waterphoto

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Cert Level:Dive Master
  • Logged Dives:400+

Posted 18 April 2006 - 10:18 PM

Tired of dealing with all the black luggage that looks alike, today I went and bought a red suitcase. I debated on the lime green, but just could not bring myself to do it.

#14 Geek

Geek

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 387 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue, Adv. Nitrox/Deco Procedures
  • Logged Dives:130+

Posted 19 April 2006 - 06:23 PM

TSA would like this...

That looks like the perfect sticker to keep someone from picking up my deco bottle. Where do I get one? :P

#15 finGrabber

finGrabber

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,276 posts

Posted 19 April 2006 - 08:04 PM

Tired of dealing with all the black luggage that looks alike, today I went and bought a red suitcase. I debated on the lime green, but just could not bring myself to do it.

that's one way to distinguish your luggage!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users