• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Underwater Navigation Tips

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 BubbleBoy

BubbleBoy

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 749 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW + Deep, Wreck, Drysuit, Navigation, Night, Rescue, Nitrox Specialties
  • Logged Dives:300+

Posted 17 April 2006 - 06:21 PM

One of the toughest things for me is keeping track of my position on open water dives. No matter how much I pay attention to underwater landmarks and my compass bearings, I often end up surfacing 100+ yards from the boat.

I’m curious what tips other divers can offer to remedy this problem, other than dropping breadcrumbs, carving directional arrows in the reef, or just leaving the navigation to my dive buddies.

BB
BB

When you make fish laugh, they can't bite you.

#2 captsteve

captsteve

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts
  • Cert Level:aow/nitrox
  • Logged Dives:absolutly no idea

Posted 17 April 2006 - 06:29 PM

well, just 1 1/2 weeks ago i dove on an old ore carrier that sank in 1910. it was only in 21ft of water and the weather was beautiful. we hooked into the wreck and worked up current. i just planned to surface when i was done, and my dive buddy wasnt very happy with that.
the vis was maybe 10ft at best, so maybe i could have run a reel.......

#3 ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts
  • Cert Level:Course Director; CCR Instructor
  • Logged Dives:2000+

Posted 17 April 2006 - 09:09 PM

There are at least two methods of holding and using the compass. For navigation using a wrist compass, the diver wearing the compass on the left wrist would bend the left arm at a 90 degree angle, connecting the left hand to (approximately) the bend in the elbow of the right arm while holding the right arm pointing straight ahead. (Reverse if using the compass on the other hand.) If the diver is holding the compass with two hands instead of wearing on the wrist, the diver would hold both arms out straight in front of the diver, viewing the compass in the same manner. In either case, the compass should be squarely in front of the face so that the diver is looking straight ahead, seeing the compass while also being able see ahead out (over the compass) into the direction headed.

Common mistakes: With the wrist compass, failure to have the right arm pointed straight out ahead or to have the left arm at a 90 degree angle, causing the compass to not be pointed out straight ahead of the diver. (It is less common for the diver holding the compass ahead with two hands to fail to have the compass pointed out ahead.) The second mistake would for the card in the compass to be touching something, holding it from spinning freely. So, it is important to try to keep the compass level when navigating.
"The most important thing is not to stop questioning." Albert Einstein

"For the diligent diver, closed circuit rebreathers are actually safer than open circuit scuba." Tom Mount

#4 GentDiver

GentDiver

"Shark-Bait"

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 937 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced Open Water
  • Logged Dives:80

Posted 18 April 2006 - 04:10 PM

One thing that I do is take readings often and use landmarks as I go to ensure I have not left my course. I know when I don't do that I end up off course.

And for those on the Saba trip... "Tony, where the boat?" :birthday:

Scott

:birthday:
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
- Albert Einstein

"Do, or do not. There is no 'try'."
- Yoda ('The Empire Strikes Back')

"And the trees are all kept equal by hatch, axe, and saw"
- Rush (The Trees)

#5 Starfish Sandy

Starfish Sandy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,323 posts
  • Cert Level:aow, nitrox
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 18 April 2006 - 04:38 PM

I have a great underwater sign for asking where the boat is!!!! :birthday: some will probably see it in Turks!
Known puker

#6 GentDiver

GentDiver

"Shark-Bait"

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 937 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced Open Water
  • Logged Dives:80

Posted 18 April 2006 - 05:20 PM

Hmmm, I think I know this sign. We will have to compare.... because I have one as well....

Scott

:birthday:
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
- Albert Einstein

"Do, or do not. There is no 'try'."
- Yoda ('The Empire Strikes Back')

"And the trees are all kept equal by hatch, axe, and saw"
- Rush (The Trees)

#7 6Gill

6Gill

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts
  • Logged Dives:100+

Posted 18 April 2006 - 10:43 PM

Don't wear two compasses side by side...

#8 Basslet

Basslet

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,463 posts
  • Cert Level:OW
  • Logged Dives:150

Posted 19 April 2006 - 07:18 AM

Do what I do. Have a kid who is a good navigator and get him certified.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users