• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Really, how good is your light?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic
  • Logged Dives:too many logged, too many not logged...:)

Posted 20 April 2006 - 02:12 PM

So the longer and longer my dives get, the more and more I start to realize I am not only limited by the gas on my back or my deco time - I could be limited by the burn time of my light in some dive situations (PNW dark water, caves...etc.).

So is this something that other divers consider? And if so, what is the burn time on your light? Do you plan dives where you need to charge your light or change out batteries on your surface interval? The burn time on my rechargeable light canister is 4 hours fully charged, so currently it has been adequate for my dive needs. It was an expensive light, however, and a recent purchase. Prior to moving into heavier planned dives, I would not have had an appropriate light.
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#2 Latitude Adjustment

Latitude Adjustment

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,658 posts
  • Cert Level:EanX
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 20 April 2006 - 02:21 PM

My NightRider has about the same burn time but I usually have it on the LED low beam so it last a few dives before I need to recharge the batteries.
So how long do you think before they come out with the HID light that you shake for thirty seconds for five minutes of light? :wavey:
I, Latitude Adjustment (insert log in name), do hereby swear, (politely), that I shall not hold SingleDivers, (SD), nor any SD poster, (real or imagined), liable, nor shall I seek legal restitution, (real or imagined), for any perceived, (real or imagined), offenses I may incur, (or Incurrrrrrrrrr on talk like a pirate day), that may or may not be posted on this or any SCUBA related board, (real or imagined), by anyone, (real or imagined), anywhere, (real or imagined). Further, I void any right to privacy, (real or imagined), as it may, or may not relate to any posting, (real or imagined), about me, to me, for me, because of me, all about me, my dog, my cat, my bird, my monkey, my family, (real or imagined), my friends, (real or imagined), or my world, (real or imagined).

By all that is wet, I do hereby swear, (politely), and attest, upon pain of never diving again, (real or imagined), that I understand and affirm, that I agree to the above.

_________________________________________(log in name signature)
Signed and Dated

#3 BradfordNC

BradfordNC

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 815 posts
  • Cert Level:certifi-what?
  • Logged Dives:2 and 1/2

Posted 20 April 2006 - 02:45 PM

i have a NiteRider HID and it 'usualy' works great for a day of diving.

depending on what cave systems i'm crawling around in.
i can usualy get away with 4 dives a day and then recharge it at night.

some of the shallower systems = longer dive times and start to push the lights charge.
but when i know i'm going to be doing the longer dives, i'll plug it in to charge during surface intervals.
OK, lets make a deal. If you stop telling me how to dive, I'll stop going down to the bus station at 2am to slap d***s out of your mouth.

#4 BubbleBoy

BubbleBoy

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 749 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW + Deep, Wreck, Drysuit, Navigation, Night, Rescue, Nitrox Specialties
  • Logged Dives:300+

Posted 20 April 2006 - 03:23 PM

Right now all my lights are run on alkaline batteries. More cost in the long run, but I think they do last a bit longer than a recharge. I got 7-8hrs out of the last set in my UK Cannon before it faded (in the middle of a night dive of course). Another advantage is that you can just buy the batteries when you get to the end of your plane ride, so you don't have to carry all the weight with you.

That said, I'll probably step up to a more powerful handheld canister light if I start diving more on local wrecks. Will probably look for at least 4hrs per charge.

BB

Edited by BubbleBoy, 20 April 2006 - 03:40 PM.

BB

When you make fish laugh, they can't bite you.

#5 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 20 April 2006 - 03:40 PM

THis concern is one of the PRIMARY reasons I like the GreenForce series of lights and dive with them. There are a couple of options

10w HID for 4 hours.
10w HID for 2 hours first dive, LED light for the rest of the day
LED for all weekend
Screw on a backup canister for HID all weekend

You can certainly bring spare batteries (and should) if loss of your dive light means the end of your dive day.

#6 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic

Posted 20 April 2006 - 03:53 PM

but when i know i'm going to be doing the longer dives, i'll plug it in to charge during surface intervals.

Where do you plug it in during your SI? I just bought a converter for my vehicle for my laptop, but have considered it could be used for my light in a pinch or if I forgot to charge my light the night before - I could charge it on my drive up to the dive site (2.5+ hours of drive time). Has anyone recharged a canister battery from their car? Is there some sort of hazard I should be aware of? I don't want to end up posting about a car fire here in the near future! :wavey:

I was once told by a dive buddy, it's never good Nicolle when your dive stories start out "It seemed like a good idea at the time..."
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#7 ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts
  • Cert Level:Course Director; CCR Instructor
  • Logged Dives:2000+

Posted 20 April 2006 - 04:23 PM

I consider a light like a lifeline especially when in a cave or other environment that can become completely blacked out without artificial light. Since I started diving the CCR, I now have the expectation of potentially diving for four (currently) to six hours (on the expected new scrubber) on a single dive.

Knowing this, I recently had my 10 watt HID canister light upgraded in two ways: First, I got a second battery pack and charger. My new battery pack will last for eight hours on a single charge. Then, I can use my old battery pack for another four hours while the first is recharging. If I am in the water beyond 12 hours in a single day, I guess it will be time to buy another set. :D

Second, I had a second canister lid, cord and light head assembly made. If I am on a trip, and my light fails due to a burned out bulb, a bad ballast, a cord problem or a burned out switch, I can just take off the entire light head assembly, pop on the backup, and get back in the water. I will deal with any issues regarding the first light head assembly after the trip. The last thing you want to do after spending a lot of money on a dive trip is to have to abort a dive due to equipment failures in situtations like this.

Although my light is only :wavey: 10 watts, it is as bright as many of the 18 watt lights out there due to the light shroud, which makes the beam come out looking like a Star Wars light saver. http://www.ekpp.de/i.../equipment.html. It also keeps the size of the light head a lot more compact.

I carry two LED backup lights that can burn for over three days on a set of batteries. http://www.golemgear...ckup-light.aspx. They are compact, tough and a lot brighter than many people's primary lights. Their beam is quite even, too.

Lights are expensive. However, in a bad moment, a good, working light can mean the difference between life and death. A bit dramatic sounding. However, it is true.
"The most important thing is not to stop questioning." Albert Einstein

"For the diligent diver, closed circuit rebreathers are actually safer than open circuit scuba." Tom Mount

#8 VADiver

VADiver

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts
  • Cert Level:GUE T2/C1
  • Logged Dives:400+

Posted 20 April 2006 - 04:25 PM

My primary canister light is good for 4 hours, which is perfect for a day of ocean diving. If I'm planning to do multiple dives where 4 hours will be exceeded I'll bring an extra, charged battery (for the surface interval) or move to a 10watt HID light head for max time (the 10watt HID is rated for 8 hours).

Right now my 18watt HID is perfect for my current application. Plus I carry two back-ups on my harness for emergencies.

#9 ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts
  • Cert Level:Course Director; CCR Instructor
  • Logged Dives:2000+

Posted 20 April 2006 - 04:45 PM

Has anyone recharged a canister battery from their car? Is there some sort of hazard I should be aware of? I don't want to end up posting about a car fire here in the near future! :wavey:

Not only have I charged a light, I have also charged a scooter battery from an inverter in my truck. I don't think it's a problem.
"The most important thing is not to stop questioning." Albert Einstein

"For the diligent diver, closed circuit rebreathers are actually safer than open circuit scuba." Tom Mount

#10 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts

Posted 20 April 2006 - 05:16 PM

OK - this is good to know....ScubaDadMiami said it was a good idea at the time! :wavey:

#11 BubbleBoy

BubbleBoy

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 749 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW + Deep, Wreck, Drysuit, Navigation, Night, Rescue, Nitrox Specialties

Posted 20 April 2006 - 05:22 PM

I just bought a converter for my vehicle for my laptop, but have considered it could be used for my light in a pinch or if I forgot to charge my light the night before - I could charge it on my drive up to the dive site (2.5+ hours of drive time). Has anyone recharged a canister battery from their car? Is there some sort of hazard I should be aware of? I don't want to end up posting about a car fire here in the near future!

It might be worth checking the voltage and amperage rating on your laptop charger to see how it compares with the output of your standard light charger. I think the light batteries will suck up significantly higher amperage than a laptop consumes, and that could mean overheating the wires in your laptop charger if they are small. An alternative - and perfectly sane approach in my opinion - just plug it in and try it while holding the charger wires in your hand. If it starts to burn your hand, unplug it and try something else.

BB

Edited by BubbleBoy, 20 April 2006 - 05:24 PM.

BB

#12 seafox

seafox

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 81 posts
  • Cert Level:Inst for : Recreational, Technical and Closed Circuit Rebreather Instructor, I never stop learning!
  • Logged Dives:4000+

Posted 20 April 2006 - 05:24 PM

I use a 10 watt HID rechargeable, as the primary, which lasts 4 hours, and 3 LED lights with batteries for backup.
I recharge my HID with the built in converter in my 4Runner.
Never had any problems! :wavey:
Protect the SHARKS!

Excellence is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, skillful execution and the vision to see obstacles as opportunities.

Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards!

#13 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts

Posted 20 April 2006 - 05:28 PM

It might be worth checking the voltage and amperage rating on your laptop charger to see how it compares with the output of your standard light charger. I think the light batteries will suck up significantly higher amperage than a laptop consumes, and that could mean overheating the wires in your laptop charger if they are small. An alternative - and perfectly sane approach in my opinion - just plug it in and try it while holding the charger wires in your hand. If it starts to burn your hand, unplug it and try something else.

Oops I may have confused what I was saying. I bought a converter that plugs into my car that has a 3-prong outlet for electronics, like my laptop cord. I wouldn't use my laptop charger to charge my light.

#14 BradfordNC

BradfordNC

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 815 posts
  • Cert Level:certifi-what?
  • Logged Dives:2 and 1/2

Posted 20 April 2006 - 07:07 PM

Where do you plug it in during your SI? I just bought a converter for my vehicle for my laptop, but have considered it could be used for my light in a pinch or if I forgot to charge my light the night before - I could charge it on my drive up to the dive site (2.5+ hours of drive time). Has anyone recharged a canister battery from their car? Is there some sort of hazard I should be aware of? I don't want to end up posting about a car fire here in the near future! :tears:

I was once told by a dive buddy, it's never good Nicolle when your dive stories start out "It seemed like a good idea at the time..."

i have an inverter? in the car which plugs into the accesory plug (i don't smoke) on the dashboard. i flip the switch on it, and plug in the light charger. never had any problems with it.
i can charge the light while driving, or sitting in the parking lot between dives.
OK, lets make a deal. If you stop telling me how to dive, I'll stop going down to the bus station at 2am to slap d***s out of your mouth.

#15 BubbleBoy

BubbleBoy

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 749 posts

Posted 20 April 2006 - 07:51 PM

If I am in the water beyond 12 hours in a single day, I guess it will be time to buy another set. :tears:

And get a gill transplant :)
BB

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users