• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

It's a tough job....

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Marvel

Marvel

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,057 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 27 May 2004 - 07:41 PM

(sigh) Well, you know- same ol' summertime same ol' for me. my coworker decided that he really wanted to dive & so, pretty spur of the moment, we got off work & headed to my house. Opened up the community dive locker & grabbed the gear. In the water about an hour after I got off work. (sigh) Tough, really tough. :P

Since he hadn't been diving for a while, we decided to stick to the first reef. Kicked out & dropped down right onto the reef. Visability was pretty good- 40-50 feet, although there were a lot of particles in the water. It still hasn't cleared up from our nearly 2 months of east wind.

The current was going north so we headed south. The first reef consists of mostly honeycombs up by my house- lots of little hidey-holes for critters. Further down, the make up is a combination of the honeycombs & some small ledges. There weren't a tremendous amount of fish but they weren't scarce, by any means. Saw lots of my personal favorites- parrot fish. Also, one of my #1 favorites- a puffer fish- their faces are so cute. My buddy spotted a small spotted ray & we watched him for a while. We then came across a small eel- more out in the open than I've ever seen one before. Last, on the southward leg, we saw a trumpet fish swimming around.

I was using one of my buddy's aluminum 80's & I normally dive with steel 80's. For those of you that don't know- when you dive with steel tanks, your buoyancy doesn't change as you use up air, unlike aluminum. Even though I added some weight, at around 2k psi, I started having trouble with my buoyancy- I felt myself having to work to stay down. So, we headed back south. My buddy told me later that he was wondering when I was going to head back- he was freezing!

On the way home, we came across a good sized nurse shark 6-8 feet (I'm the worst at underwater guessing). Went up to get my bearings & brought us right back home! My dive partner did have his camera so I may have some pictures to show you. (sigh) Just a typical SE FL dive. Now, have I talked anyone into coming to dive with me???? :evilgrin:
Marvel

"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C. S. Lewis

Posted Image

#2 nextariel

nextariel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,531 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:350+

Posted 27 May 2004 - 08:06 PM

It's so tough to live on the ocean in So Florida isn't it. Paint me jealous.
Laugh at yourself first, before anyone else can. --Elsa Maxwell, September 28, 1958

#3 Marvel

Marvel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,057 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 27 May 2004 - 08:28 PM

It's so tough to live on the ocean in So Florida isn't it. Paint me jealous.

So, you coming down June 4th for HH & diving the 5th??? :evilgrin:
Marvel

"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C. S. Lewis

Posted Image

#4 nikk

nikk

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 70 posts
  • Cert Level:cmas 3*
  • Logged Dives:100+

Posted 27 May 2004 - 11:44 PM

Marvel I'm deeply envious!!! It must be wonderful to be able to go from work to wet in an hour! Maybe I shoulda moved from NYC to FLA rather than to India! :evilgrin:
WWW (Warm Water Wuss.....AND PROUD OF IT!!!)

#5 stanner82

stanner82

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 28 May 2004 - 06:47 AM

One of the true joys of living in FL is accessibility to diving -- and the variety of diving, too! Although, I thought that there were some good dive opportunities in India.

#6 zendiver

zendiver

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,082 posts
  • Cert Level:AI
  • Logged Dives:1011

Posted 28 May 2004 - 07:35 AM

Marvel, you just about have me convinced to pack up and move to FL....I would be diving EVERYDAY....man, it must be tough, but you're right, "Someone has to do it!"
[color=blue]Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body;
But rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming--"WOW--What a ride!"

#7 Diverlady

Diverlady

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 856 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW w/ specialties & drysuit user
  • Logged Dives:175 - as of Sep 18, 2004

Posted 28 May 2004 - 07:49 AM

You do have it rough, Marvel!! LOL

Diverlady
FAILURE IS NOT AN OPTION!! It comes bundled with the software.

What do you mean "it doesn't come in PINK"?!?!

#8 nikk

nikk

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 70 posts
  • Cert Level:cmas 3*
  • Logged Dives:100+

Posted 28 May 2004 - 11:43 AM

One of the true joys of living in FL is accessibility to diving -- and the variety of diving, too!  Although, I thought that there were some good dive opportunities in India.

There are but the closest "good" one is 12 hrs from where I live! Which is why the envy. :lmao:
WWW (Warm Water Wuss.....AND PROUD OF IT!!!)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users