• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Maui Report

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 susiq

susiq

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 345 posts
  • Board Status:Workin' hard in NYC to fund my next dream trip!
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:355

Posted 26 April 2006 - 10:13 AM

Here's a short report on my dives on Maui: was just there for a week with non-divers so I dove less than I would have otherwise. I enjoyed all 3 dives, (two from a boat-- Maui Diamond II, which takes "pods" of divers, snorkelers, and scuba intro's all on the same boat) They're pretty organized and don't take more than 6-8 in a pod of "certs" which isn't bad. They have their routine down, and were for the most part pretty clear. Since the routine varies from boat to boat,not all of the crew were as patient as they should be with questions-- AND if you use their gear (I did use their BC and reg, having decided not to bring my own) you first get introduced to it as you're sitting on the back rail with your fins/mask on and they buckle you into it.... no chance to really examine everything for your own pre-dive check..... barely enough time to take two breaths from the reg/octo and look at your gauges before you're told to go..... maybe I'm new enough (31 dives)so i don't feel entirely comfy with this or I'm just a dawdler and rebel at being pushed into another's time frame.....

Anyway, this dive is the classic: Molokini crater--partially submerged volcano-- in its leeward side we dropped to bottom at around 80ft. I was surprised at how empty this place was-- reef wasn't anything special and there were fewer fish than there had been the day before when i went out there (albeit to a different area within the half-submerged crater) with my snorkeling friends--disappointing. They said-- "every day is different" well that may be, but...

Also the DM was photographing those who paid him for still shots to be made into a CD later --since i didn't want this service, I kind of had to stay back and I felt it was not really in my best interest to have him distracted/focused on other things, namely: safety and overseeing us.

Our second dive was in "Turtletown" a location near Maui's south shore. we did see 4 turtles: 2 asleep, wedged into their coral parking spots and 2 a-swimmin' -- very cool.

Wouldn't go back to this boat, or to inside the Molokini crater-- it's overrated and/or over-trafficked.

Shore dive with Turtle Reef Divers's owner Jim Soos. Met him at Old Airport Beach on maui's West Side, i happened to be the only diver that AM for a shore dive. he was very competent, showed me how to do safe beach entry/exit with medium waves, and steep beach with reef very very close to shore. We covered lots of ground and he was prety attentive, guiding me and pointing out things; we didnt' see any turtles but the fish were amazing and the coral fields of broad expanses of different colors and types were very interesting-- his rental gear for me was fine, though not new... a very tranquil and lovely dive.

Still plenty of things to go back and see-- the BACK side of Molokini and the Cathedrals and more shore dives...... hope to get a chance some day!

Any help I can give you if you're planning to go let me know!
SusiQ :cheerleader:
The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever-- Jacques-Yves Cousteau

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users