• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Children and Diving

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 WisconsinGal

WisconsinGal

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:70+ and counting

Posted 20 March 2004 - 05:46 PM

My nephew is fascinated with whales and dolphins, loves the water, and has expressed a desire to experience the underwater world. He's going to be 10 soon. Do you think it's a good idea for him to dive at such a young age? I see they offer junior dive courses for 10+ years.

#2 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 21 March 2004 - 12:48 PM

Marla, excellent question.

My short answer is no. Give him snorkeling lessons instead.

While 3 agencies now allow 10 year olds to get certified, most do not. There are many instructors with those agencies who refuse to teach children that young to dive.

Most children are not emotionally mature enugh to dive until they are considerably older than the minimum age of 12 which most agencies still follow. I will teach 12 year olds to dive, but they have to convince me they are mature enough to dive. Most 12 years olds don't make it to the first class. I also require a parent to either take or audit the class with the child.

There is also the issue of how physical development might be affected by diving. The bottom line is there is not enough evidence to know if diving is safe for developing bones.

I taught my son to dive at age 13. I then restricted him to a 45 feet depth limit and no more than two dive trips a year until after he quit growing.

I think the trend to allow small children to dive is a serious mistake with potential health problems.

Walter
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#3 WisconsinGal

WisconsinGal

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:70+ and counting

Posted 21 March 2004 - 01:03 PM

Thanks for the advice Walter.. I appreciate it :D

#4 Diverlady

Diverlady

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 856 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW w/ specialties & drysuit user
  • Logged Dives:175 - as of Sep 18, 2004

Posted 21 March 2004 - 05:09 PM

One of the guys in my diveclub let his son start diving at 12 but restricts his depth limit to 30ft due to the potential affects on growth.

Diverlady
FAILURE IS NOT AN OPTION!! It comes bundled with the software.

What do you mean "it doesn't come in PINK"?!?!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users