• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

PNW Critter of the Month, May: Grunt Sculpin

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic
  • Logged Dives:too many logged, too many not logged...:)

Posted 02 May 2006 - 01:49 PM

Grunt Sculpin
Rhamphocottus richardsonii
only member of the fish family Rhamphocottidae

Description: Cute! Large head with an elongated snout; stocky body, covered with prickles; lower bright orange/yellow pectoral rays free of membrane.

Color: Cream colored body with brown spots and patterns, White and orange banded tail. Bright orange/yellow tail fin and pectoral fins.

Size: Very small. Length only up to 8cm! A lot of divers miss these, so you have to go SLOW!

Habitat: Grunt sculpin hide in small shelters, including empty giant barnacle casings and even discarded cans and bottles.

Behavior: When they venture out they often "crawl" along the bottom using their long bright orange/yellow pectoral fin rays. They move so erratically, they'll almost appear flitting around like a bumble bee. Aquarium observations have revealed the mating habits of this species: the aggressive female chases a male until he is cornered among the rocks, and keeps him trapped while she lays her eggs. Grunt sculpin feed on crustaceans, fish larvae, and zooplankton. This neat little fish is widespread and moderately common in Puget Sound, but can be elusive.

Range: Grunt Sculpins are native to temperate coastal waters of the North Pacific, from Japan to Alaska and south to California.

Depth: It is primarily a coastal species most often found in shallow water along rocky beaches, but it has been observed at depths up to nearly 600' (the Photic Zone).

Interesting Fact: The common name is inspired by the grunting noise this fish makes when removed from water. :birthday: Don't take it from the water!

Posted Image
Grunt Sculpin Photo © Ken Blauvelt, All Rights Reserved
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#2 Cold_H2O

Cold_H2O

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,498 posts
  • Logged Dives:lost count but back to keeping a log.

Posted 02 May 2006 - 01:52 PM

DG ~ You have selected one of my favorite PNW finds.
I love these little guys. You must go slow and look for them.
They are great at hiding. But when you do find one it makes all your efforts worthwhile.
Well Behave Women Rarely Make History ~ Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Formerly known as gis_gal and name tattoo'd for a small bribe!

#3 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic

Posted 02 May 2006 - 01:53 PM

GG, I absolutely agree!!! :birthday: One of our open water classes got to see one at Mike's Beach this past weekend. This was not the first time we've spotted them there! At least one of our instructors with students are seeing them on almost every open water dive weekend!
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#4 Dennis

Dennis

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 895 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Open Water II, & Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 02 May 2006 - 02:07 PM

Nicolle,

Thanks for the information. I like these write-ups.
DSSW,
Dennis
"Suppose you were an idiot ... And suppose you were a member of Congress ... But I repeat myself." --Mark Twain

#5 Cold_H2O

Cold_H2O

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,498 posts
  • Logged Dives:lost count but back to keeping a log.

Posted 02 May 2006 - 02:56 PM

I can't think of anything that I don't like about these little guys.
I love watching them move about. Love their orange fins and tails.

I look for them on every dive. I am sure there are more pictures out there.
Does anyone have a full body shot of one?
Well Behave Women Rarely Make History ~ Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Formerly known as gis_gal and name tattoo'd for a small bribe!

#6 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 03:00 PM

There are some EXCELLENT photos on the Phillip Colla Photography / Oceanlight.com site. (click to link directly to the Grunt Sculpin photos)

#7 6Gill

6Gill

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts
  • Logged Dives:100+

Posted 02 May 2006 - 08:47 PM

I friend of mine(a real one not a voice) gave me a blown up shot of a head on view of a grunt thats 2x3ft for helping him do some u/w pics.The detail you see when it's enlarged is amazing.

#8 fbp

fbp

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 764 posts
  • Cert Level:Dive Master - Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:1000+

Posted 03 May 2006 - 08:09 AM

yeah, these are my favs too..

When I first saw one, thought it was a new species...heheh...
Doh!!! :banghead:

This one was off the Keystone Jetty at the end..

Attached Images

• KeyStn032903_44ms.jpg

Edited by fbp, 03 May 2006 - 08:15 AM.

fpoole
Diving & Gliding..
Hiking & Camping.
Shooting (photos) the Great Nor'West

www.poolesweb.com/

#9 Dennis

Dennis

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 895 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Open Water II, & Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 03 May 2006 - 08:36 AM

He's a cute little guy, isn't he. It almost makes me want to dive in cold water, well, not really.
DSSW,
Dennis
"Suppose you were an idiot ... And suppose you were a member of Congress ... But I repeat myself." --Mark Twain

#10 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts

Posted 17 May 2006 - 11:32 AM

Sometimes luck shines! I am happy to report that on cmt489's and my first dive this past Sunday at North Wall in Puget Sound (WA), we spotted a teeny tiny Grunt Sculpin (about an inch/2.5 cm in length) hiding in a sandstone crevice! It was cmt489's first Grunt Sculpin!

We spotted this month's critter of the month! :banghead:

#11 gcbryan

gcbryan

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts
  • Logged Dives:620

Posted 17 May 2006 - 12:19 PM

It seems to be a seasonal thing doesn't it. I have seen 2 in the last week. One at Cove 2 and one at the Junkyard.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users