• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Why You Shouldn't Fill Your Own NITROX Tank!!

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 FlIrishman

FlIrishman

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, NTIROX - 500 DIVES, East Florida Coast wreck, reef and beach diving
  • Logged Dives:500

Posted 23 May 2006 - 04:45 AM

One reason why you shouldn't fill your own NITROX Tank - especially if you don't know what your doing.
This is a TRUE Story and happend 22-May-2006.

http://www.irishmans...r_own_tanks.htm

There's more to come on the story about this person!!

#2 Lubold8431

Lubold8431

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor. Do most of my diving in NE. I love wreck diving.
  • Logged Dives:Over 1500...

Posted 23 May 2006 - 04:49 AM

I can NOT wait to hear the story on this one...
The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will.
--Vince Lombardi

#3 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 23 May 2006 - 04:50 AM

Why would that be any different from filling someone else's tanks if you don't know what you're doing?
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#4 Latitude Adjustment

Latitude Adjustment

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,658 posts
  • Cert Level:EanX
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 23 May 2006 - 05:35 AM

And he probably did this to save money on fills :D
I, Latitude Adjustment (insert log in name), do hereby swear, (politely), that I shall not hold SingleDivers, (SD), nor any SD poster, (real or imagined), liable, nor shall I seek legal restitution, (real or imagined), for any perceived, (real or imagined), offenses I may incur, (or Incurrrrrrrrrr on talk like a pirate day), that may or may not be posted on this or any SCUBA related board, (real or imagined), by anyone, (real or imagined), anywhere, (real or imagined). Further, I void any right to privacy, (real or imagined), as it may, or may not relate to any posting, (real or imagined), about me, to me, for me, because of me, all about me, my dog, my cat, my bird, my monkey, my family, (real or imagined), my friends, (real or imagined), or my world, (real or imagined).

By all that is wet, I do hereby swear, (politely), and attest, upon pain of never diving again, (real or imagined), that I understand and affirm, that I agree to the above.

_________________________________________(log in name signature)
Signed and Dated

#5 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 23 May 2006 - 05:44 AM

Looks like it SHOULD say:

Don't pump oxygen into an unclean tank.

This is why partial pressure filling is such a dangerous game. And why I insist on doing my OWN visual inspections. Not a job I intend to leave to the shop lackey since I do partial pressure fills.

Edited by PerroneFord, 23 May 2006 - 05:47 AM.

#6 TekDiveGirl

TekDiveGirl

• PipPipPipPip
  • 242 posts
  • Cert Level:Technical Divemaster - trained through advanced wreck and Advanced Tri-mix
  • Logged Dives:A whole bunch - I don't know excactly as my logbook was destroyed... )-; It's a long story -- you really don't want to know...

Posted 23 May 2006 - 06:28 AM

Looks like somebody did not respect the rules we generally follow on filling gas.

You seem to be amused by this little disaster there IrishDude -- why not fill in the blanks here.

Perrone -- when did you take your PSI course? Very cool.
Kimber

Pink ~~~
It's the New Black!!!

#7 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 23 May 2006 - 06:44 AM

My doubles went of out vis this May. Local shop said they would fill it once (first weekend in May), but they would need to do a vis to fill it again. Went to my instructor at his shop, he said we honor them until the end of the month, but since you're here, lets show you how to do visual inspections!

Six hours later, I was filling them up again! Corrosion between the steel bands and the Al tanks was a PITA. My instructor was adamant about getting to bare metal too. I'll condemn the dang tanks before I go through that again!

So I did the whole white light, UV light, straigtedge, Christolube, O-ring, re-surfacing, deal on both tanks. JOY! Oh, and I taped the dang bands to make sure that foolishness doesn't get any worse.

I'll convert these to stages at their hydro and just start over cleanly. I bought these used and have learned a valuable lesson.

#8 TekDiveGirl

TekDiveGirl

• PipPipPipPip
  • 242 posts
  • Cert Level:Technical Divemaster - trained through advanced wreck and Advanced Tri-mix
  • Logged Dives:A whole bunch - I don't know excactly as my logbook was destroyed... )-; It's a long story -- you really don't want to know...

Posted 23 May 2006 - 06:53 AM

Ah -- so no PSI class. Gotcha.

I would like to take that from COVCI sometime. He was in my class doing his instructor trainer class (or was it instructor? - something like that) when I took my Nitrox and TriMix gas blending classes in Ohio a bit over a year ago. Definitely somebody I would learn from.
Kimber

Pink ~~~
It's the New Black!!!

#9 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 23 May 2006 - 07:18 AM

I'll take the PSI class in earnest this fall. Just didn't have the $250 to drop on it now. That's why I like my instructor. He's not above showing you how to do something for your own benefit without taking money out of your pocket.

#10 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 23 May 2006 - 07:41 AM

I agree, Kimber. Not only does Chris know his stuff, but he's also an excellent teacher.
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#11 ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts
  • Cert Level:Course Director; CCR Instructor
  • Logged Dives:2000+

Posted 23 May 2006 - 08:38 AM

I did my PSI training with one of the old dogs from this area. However, for risk management purposes, I usually just pay to have my LDS take care of this for me. I will, however, independently inspect my tanks before turning it over to them. Nothing wrong with using the buddy system here.

A few years ago, I bought a set of double 80s (filled only once but never wet) from someone so that I could break them down, using them for stages. I harvested the bands and valves to use for another set of doubles. Then, I covered the tank inlet covered in plastic to prevent contamination. I left them stored like that for a couple of years.

Last week, I finally went to set them up for use as bailouts for my CCR. After a cursory inspection, I cleaned them for oxygen service since I did not know what the tanks were filled with the one time that they were filled. When I did my full interior inspection, that's when I noticed a chip on the top of the inlet, right where the valve o-ring seats.

Looked like this one tank wouldn't pass to me. So, I brought it to my LDS for a second opinion. In the end, a virtually new tank is now on the scrap heap.

Inspections are both useful and important.

Edited by ScubaDadMiami, 23 May 2006 - 08:45 AM.

"The most important thing is not to stop questioning." Albert Einstein

"For the diligent diver, closed circuit rebreathers are actually safer than open circuit scuba." Tom Mount

#12 Diverbrian

Diverbrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI DiveCon/IANTD Normoxic Trimix.....
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 23 May 2006 - 11:16 AM

I keep intending to take the PSI class and it's the same story. When I have time, I don't have money and vice versa.

The specifics of O2 cleaning were covered in my gas blending course though. I do my own O2 cleaning and know enough to do much as SDM does and give my tanks a "once over" before turning them over to be visually inspected.

I can think of two reasons for this type of incident and likely they are combined. I don't want to "shoot off my big mouth" on that until I read the rest of the story. O2 fires are an ugly experience and I wouldn't want to be involved with the homeowner's insurance on this one.
A person should be judged in this life not by the mistakes that they make nor by the number of them. Rather they are to be judged by their recovery from them.

#13 Brinybay

Brinybay

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:580

Posted 23 May 2006 - 02:33 PM

I can NOT wait to hear the story on this one...

Yes, definitely waiting for the other shoe to drop...
"The cure for anything is saltwater--sweat, tears, or the sea." - Isak Dinesen

"A good marriage is like an interlocking neurosis, where the rocks in one person's head fill up the holes in the other's."

#14 6Gill

6Gill

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts
  • Logged Dives:100+

Posted 23 May 2006 - 10:33 PM

One reason why you shouldn't fill your own NITROX Tank - especially if you don't know what your doing.
This is a TRUE Story and happend 22-May-2006.

http://www.irishmans...r_own_tanks.htm

It might actually be a useful thread if there was information as opposed to inflamitory headlines with no substance.
I agree that someone who doesn't know what they are doing should find another hobby and from what's coming out this person is a Darwin award waiting to happen.
To say that one shouldn't fill nitox is baffeling...alolt of the 'homeblenders' I know are better qualified then the majority of people filling for a living.
Now from your experiance as a blender maybe you could enlighten as to what went wrong.

#15 ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts
  • Cert Level:Course Director; CCR Instructor
  • Logged Dives:2000+

Posted 24 May 2006 - 07:49 AM

Not to mention that it doesn't even state the method. For all we know, this could have been banked 32.

It looks like the fill was done in a garage. Pure oxygen plus stored chemicals or gasoline vapor plus a pilot light from a water heater are not good things to mix.

If you are going to tell us the headlines, why not tell the rest of the story? :cheerleader:
"The most important thing is not to stop questioning." Albert Einstein

"For the diligent diver, closed circuit rebreathers are actually safer than open circuit scuba." Tom Mount

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users