• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

The 400 to 800 contest!!!

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,684 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 02 June 2004 - 11:03 AM

Hey gang....I can hardly believe 3 short months ago we started this wild and crazy zoo we call our "Surface Interval" between dives! When we opened the cages on March 1, I would have never imagined we'd have 100 inmates or is that 'primates' by April 1. We thought what the heck...lets see if we can double that number to 200 in the next 30 days. Somehow we did and we proliferated to over 200 by May 1. Then we got cocky...and ventured out to (or was that 'vultured' out???) to double that number to 400! Well we must have some good rabbits in the litter cuz on June 1 we hit 414 members!!! So now the question looms can we do it again? Can we go from 400 to 800 members in the next 30 days???? :hugs:

To make it more fun in the attempt and of course I love any excuse to have a contest....we've concocted the following contest (or is that cockateeled the following contest???) for your web enjoyment and entertainment.

Contest:

1. Who can come up with the most creative and ok not so creative ways to increase, expand, widen and encourgage more membership to Single Divers.

2. Who can actually RECRUIT the most new people to Single Divers in the next 30 days??? Double credit for recruiting women.

Fine Print & Rules:

1. Contest open to all but myself.
2. All methods of madness are open to you EXCEPT for spamming someone which can be as simple as an email inviting someone to check out SD if you don't know them and they don't know you. (You can invite them to a really cool site for single divers and then when they ask you what it is you can tell them but unless they ask...giving them unsolicited info is spamming and will get our site shut down and the offender slinking off into oblivion for getting us all into trouble!!! :mauswhip:)
3. Contest will end on July 1 midnight for the second part and if the ideas keep pouring in I may extend it for the first part.
4. Winners will win either a free premier membership or a limited edition SingleDivers tee-shirt rapidily becoming a collectors item in my own mind!! LOL!!! :D
5. And any other rules that may apply regardless of when they finally occur to me. Just joking!

So many of you have pm'd me saying you just know we can double the madness...double the fun...and double the inmates/primates around her in 30 days but I'm not so sure. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE prove me wrong!!! :-D

Thanks and have fun...I can't wait to see what you all come up with!!! :cool2:

-Kamala aka Wreck Wench

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#2 canuckdiver

canuckdiver

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 555 posts
  • Cert Level:Decompression procedures
  • Logged Dives:>120

Posted 02 June 2004 - 11:15 AM

well, the first thing that comes to mind to me Kamala:

Start a thread on the "other" boards, inviting all divers, single or otherwise, to come on over and check us out....

working on other ideas as well.
"what works, works" - shek exley

"the WW Approved 'Unofficial' guardian angel"

#3 Diverlady

Diverlady

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 856 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW w/ specialties & drysuit user
  • Logged Dives:175 - as of Sep 18, 2004

Posted 02 June 2004 - 11:18 AM

Start a thread on the "other" boards, inviting all divers, single or otherwise, to come on over and check us out....

I think they call that SPAM. SPAM would also include sending unsolicited PMs on "other" boards. Let's be careful out there. We don't want to tick anyone off!!

However, adding an SD website clicky link to your signature on "other" boards would be helpful. Some of us already do that.

DL
FAILURE IS NOT AN OPTION!! It comes bundled with the software.

What do you mean "it doesn't come in PINK"?!?!

#4 canuckdiver

canuckdiver

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 02 June 2004 - 11:23 AM

I think they call that SPAM.

However, adding an SD website clicky link to your signature on "other" boards would be helpful. Some of us already do that.

DL

Yep, I do that as well.

Didn't realize that would be considered spam, I was just thinking a thread like "hey all, I found a good site..."

my bad..

#5 Diverlady

Diverlady

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 856 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW w/ specialties & drysuit user
  • Logged Dives:175 - as of Sep 18, 2004

Posted 02 June 2004 - 11:25 AM

here's your spankin'! canuckdiver --> :lam:

Just teasin' ya! Actually it's a good thing you mentioned this as it allows for us to remind all our members about the evils of SPAM.

Hugs CD!! :puma:

DL
FAILURE IS NOT AN OPTION!! It comes bundled with the software.

What do you mean "it doesn't come in PINK"?!?!

#6 canuckdiver

canuckdiver

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 02 June 2004 - 11:26 AM

:lam:

LOL, that's JUST what I was thinking!!!

#7 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 02 June 2004 - 06:55 PM

We're tossing in a new wrinkle to make it more fun. The winner will be the member who scores the most points. You get 1 point for each adult male (age 18 or older) you recruit. You get 2 points for each adult female you recruit. Make sure your recruits list your screen name in the section where it asks "how did you hear about us?" If they don't, I can't give you credit. I do want you to get credit.

Remember, you get twice as many points when you recruit a woman as when you recruit a man. If you do a great job of recruiting women, we may have to reverse the point system on our next push. Make us reverse it next time.
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#8 WisconsinGal

WisconsinGal

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:70+ and counting

Posted 02 June 2004 - 07:20 PM

Make sure your recruits list your screen name in the section where it asks "how did you hear about us?"

Walter I don't mean for this to be a silly question, but if they give the person's real name will it be accepted?

The reason I ask is because I handed out some biz cards this weekend and put real my name because they know me as that.

WG

#9 nextariel

nextariel

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,531 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:350+

Posted 02 June 2004 - 07:26 PM

Remember, you get twice as many points when you recruit a woman as when you recruit a man.

What's up with this? You haven't given us the stats lately, is that the reason?
Laugh at yourself first, before anyone else can. --Elsa Maxwell, September 28, 1958

#10 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts

Posted 02 June 2004 - 08:01 PM

We're growing so fast I don't know the exact breakdown right now, but we do have more men than women. That's expected since men outnumber women in this sport.

DSSW,

WWW™

#11 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts

Posted 02 June 2004 - 08:12 PM

Walter I don't mean for this to be a silly question, but if they give the person's real name will it be accepted?

I'll give credit to everyone I can, but I don't know everyone's real name.

DSSW,

WWW™

#12 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,684 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 04 June 2004 - 08:22 AM

Make sure your recruits list your screen name in the section where it asks "how did you hear about us?"

The reason I ask is because I handed out some biz cards this weekend and put real my name because they know me as that.

WG

I always use my real name and aka WW so they know both! We know you Marla so it should be fine! Try to get them to use your screen name as well! ww

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#13 Sophia

Sophia

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced and Rebreather
  • Logged Dives:100?

Posted 04 June 2004 - 09:10 AM

We're growing so fast I don't know the exact breakdown right now, but we do have more men than women. That's expected since men outnumber women in this sport.

I knew there was a reason I like this place so much
Susan

Unfortunately, all the divers I know are too poor.

#14 drbill

drbill

I spend too much time on line

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 04 June 2004 - 09:15 AM

WHOA...........

Why are we assuming that rapid growth is good for SD? One of the things I like about SD is its intimacy. Sure, it would be great to have hundreds or thousands of other singles on-line with us, but there are drawbacks as well. We lose the intimacy that has been SD's trademark in its early months. We may get flooded with some of the nonsense that permeates a few other boards I visit (with decreasing frequency I should add).

And I'm not sure I understand why the points awarded are different for the two genders. While I favor having an SD with just myself and a thousand divas on-line, I think the thousand divas might have other thoughts on the issue! Afte all, I may be able to "handle" four at a time, but certainly not a thousand (see TF's post on names not being changed if you miss the reference).

I would think that points should be awarded on an equal basis if we want to be gender neutral and ensure both sexes have a good range of potential buddies. If we don't promote membership that satisfies both, how long will we maintain a balance that keeps both genders interested in the site?

Hmmm... what is the current gender mix? It would be interesting to see the gender, age and other stats.

Just my two cents worth.

Dr. Bill

PS- Just saw Walter's response re: the inequity between the gender mix so the point system makes a bit more sense. Of course if it were up to me, I'd offer 5 points for every new female diver (10 if she is brunette, 20 if she is also wealthy enough to support my research and dive travel and 50 if she has high intelligence to boot). And the winner would get an all expenses paid (her expense of course) trip to soCal to dive with none other than moi!

Edited by drbill, 04 June 2004 - 09:21 AM.

#15 harleyman

harleyman

Getting started

• Pip
  • 34 posts
  • Cert Level:Dive Master
  • Logged Dives:200

Posted 04 June 2004 - 09:47 AM

I found out about this Website and Group from one of the Instructors at my Scuba Shop - You could put pamphlets at all the shops - something that is 3 folded and stands on end. This way it could be displayed near the checkout counter.

Also, my shop does a lot with Colleges in the area, so you could advertise, or have flyers put out there also.

Great Idea, and looking forward to meeting new members.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users