• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

East Timor

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Travelnsj

Travelnsj

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 27 May 2006 - 05:50 PM

Well read this about Timor......http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/tw/tw_2918.html...and then check some of the articles on the internet....I am adverturious....but....not stupid...my trip is planned for September.

Any thoughts?

Edited by Travelnsj, 27 May 2006 - 09:10 PM.

You must endeavor to pursue!

#2 Capn Jack

Capn Jack

I spend too much time on line

• Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts
  • Board Status:Working to fund the next trip
  • Cert Level:YMCA in 65, dove till 79, returned in 2002... now will work for air and/or beer as a DM
  • Logged Dives:not enough

Posted 27 May 2006 - 06:57 PM

Well read this......http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/tw/tw_2918.html...and then check some of the articles on the internet....I am adverturious....but....not stupid...my trip is planned for September.

Any thoughts?

Good news, no crowded resorts.

Bad news, dead is dead.

Lots of other diving spots I'd rather hit. At least in Australia I can more or less read and write the language. It's way too much money, and way too far to lose a few dives because some a***ole blows you up.
No aquarium, no tank in a marine land, however spacious it may be, can begin to duplicate the conditions of the sea. And no dolphin who inhabits one of those aquariums or one of those marine lands can be considered normal.
Jacques Yves Cousteau

#3 Travelnsj

Travelnsj

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 27 May 2006 - 07:14 PM

Well read this......http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/tw/tw_2918.html...and then check some of the articles on the internet....I am adverturious....but....not stupid...my trip is planned for September.

Any thoughts?

Good news, no crowded resorts.

Bad news, dead is dead.

Lots of other diving spots I'd rather hit. At least in Australia I can more or less read and write the language. It's way too much money, and way too far to lose a few dives because some a***ole blows you up.

The "any thoughts?" was somewhat rhetorical...I should ask...any suggestions where else to go? I will be in Bali for three days...then I have another 10 days to go somewhere else in that part of the world.

Suggestions?

#4 Cairo

Cairo

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 68 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:I lost count.

Posted 29 May 2006 - 02:32 PM

My girlfriend says the diving in Egypt was insane. And all she wants to do is go back. Place called Sharm El Shiek or something to that effect. And let me just throw one out there for third world countries, usually not places to go, especially the ones with more left wing Islamic militants than we have Mc Donalds. Just from my experience. Come to think of it is there a third world country thats worth visiting seriously?

Edited by Redsox04, 31 May 2006 - 02:09 AM.

#5 Travelnsj

Travelnsj

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 31 May 2006 - 02:11 PM

Sharm El Sheikh...I have been there and it does have nice corals...the rest OK diving....But it is in a different part of the world...need to find something a bit closer to Bali.

#6 cmt489

cmt489

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,346 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:75+

Posted 01 June 2006 - 07:23 AM

Personally, I have not had the chance to dive in that area yet but I also hear that Malaysia is wonderful. How about Tiamanemen Island in Malaysia? I wasn't a diver when I was there but it was absolutely amazing and from what I saw with the snorkeling alone I would think the diving would be incredible!

#7 Travelnsj

Travelnsj

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 08:02 PM

Personally, I have not had the chance to dive in that area yet but I also hear that Malaysia is wonderful. How about Tiamanemen Island in Malaysia? I wasn't a diver when I was there but it was absolutely amazing and from what I saw with the snorkeling alone I would think the diving would be incredible!

Michelle....Cannot find the Island you are talking about...is it off the main Malaysian island Sarawak or Sabah/Boreno?.....cannot find it.....but it does look good for Irian Jaya/Papua...resort has room just waiting for flight info out of Bali.....But Timor seems to be quieting down...being the UN, Australia, NZ, Malaysia and another one or two have sent troops in...keeping my fingers crossed!

#8 cmt489

cmt489

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,346 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:75+

Posted 01 June 2006 - 08:38 PM

Maybe if I could have remembered how to spell it it would have help! :thankyou: It is Tioman Island. Here is a link to their local tourism website: Tioman Island

#9 ScubaPunk

ScubaPunk

Houston HH Planner + Angel

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,029 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, NITROX
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 03 June 2006 - 09:00 AM

Michelle....Cannot find the Island you are talking about...is it off the main Malaysian island Sarawak or Sabah/Boreno?.....cannot find it.....but it does look good for Irian Jaya/Papua...resort has room just waiting for flight info out of Bali.....But Timor seems to be quieting down...being the UN, Australia, NZ, Malaysia and another one or two have sent troops in...keeping my fingers crossed!

Don't go to Timor :wakawaka: Are you Crazy in the Head??? Don't go! Don't go! Don't go! Or I'm telling your Mom. :diver:

#10 ddierolf

ddierolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts
  • Cert Level:Padi Divemaster
  • Logged Dives:300+

Posted 03 June 2006 - 08:23 PM

Dive Bali, The USS Liberty Wreck is a great dive!

Which end is up?

#11 chinacat46

chinacat46

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,147 posts
  • Cert Level:OWSI
  • Logged Dives:1527(8 in fresh water)

Posted 04 June 2006 - 06:03 AM

It's an okay dive but I wouldn't classify it as great. Plus he is gonna be in Indonesia for well over a week. I think he has the right idea by going to Raja Ampat Islands in Irian Jaya.

#12 ddierolf

ddierolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 04 June 2006 - 10:38 AM

It's an okay dive but I wouldn't classify it as great. Plus he is gonna be in Indonesia for well over a week. I think he has the right idea by going to Raja Ampat Islands in Irian Jaya.

I liked it rather well, the wreck is in bad shape, but it is very close to shore and I did see some very large sea creatures as well as plentiful. I am used to diving in cold and very limited vis so (IN MY OPINION) it was a great dive. By all means do as much research as you can and find a dive you would like to do.

Edited by ddierolf, 04 June 2006 - 10:44 AM.

Which end is up?

#13 Travelnsj

Travelnsj

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 04 June 2006 - 01:37 PM

:birthday: I am spending 2 days diving in Bali and 1 day tour (on the no dive day)....I am diving Nusa Penida and the Liberty Wreck....I do not see that the diving is worth spending an additional week there.

If the violence in Timor does not stop by the end of the month...I probably will go to Irian Jaya..still waiting on flight info from Bali.....Timor is my preference....I have heard the corals, species of fish both big and small abound there...and very few divers have gone...should be great....just hope the bullets stop flying :birthday:

#14 ddierolf

ddierolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 04 June 2006 - 04:49 PM

:birthday: I am spending 2 days diving in Bali and 1 day tour (on the no dive day)....I am diving Nusa Penida and the Liberty Wreck....I do not see that the diving is worth spending an additional week there.

If the violence in Timor does not stop by the end of the month...I probably will go to Irian Jaya..still waiting on flight info from Bali.....Timor is my preference....I have heard the corals, species of fish both big and small abound there...and very few divers have gone...should be great....just hope the bullets stop flying :birthday:

I agree, not worth a week of diving, good luck and enjoy your time there!

Which end is up?

#15 Travelnsj

Travelnsj

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 26 August 2006 - 10:41 AM

:D Well I am headed there...things have calmed down....The Aussies only arrested about 15 people the other day! Overall the e-mails I am getting from people who have moved back to Timor say it is safe.

Only one other problem that has popped up is that due to the violence a few months ago the flights out of Bali have been cut back to 5 days a week....So I will lose another day of diving by having to come back to Bali a day earlier and hang out maybe another tour :P.....plus pay an additional entrance tax...oh well things could be worse.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users