• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Travel Tip of the Day - June 22, 2006

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 TravelBunny

TravelBunny

SD Travel Team

• PipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts
  • Cert Level:Have been recreational diving in Mexico a handful of times.

Posted 22 June 2006 - 11:02 AM

Items in Your Pockets

Almost comical to watch the stuff being thrown into those bins at security checkpoints.

The typical traveler has pockets bulging with metal: coins and money clips; keys and key chains; pens and mechanical pencils; metal-framed glasses; and even chewing gum and cigarette packs with metallic wrappers; not to mention the wireless phones, pagers and all the other pocket-size gadgets we keep close to our hearts.

You can reduce minutes at the security checkpoint by using a resealable plastic sandwich bag. Rather than placing all these items into those plastic containers one item at a time, put them in the bag before you go through security. Then just put the plastic bag in your carryon or toss it in the container, go through the screening, and grab the bag when it comes through the X-ray machine.
SD Travel Services...Let us meet or beat your best deal!

I specialize in ALL non-diving travel and SD's NEW special dive travel packages!

"I look forward to seeing you there and getting you there!" - Linda

Please Contact me directly at TravelBunny@SingleDivers.com or via pm!

Think PINK!.... TAKE THE PINK CHALLENGE!!! Help Kimber aka TekDiveGirl here! Thank You!!!

#2 Guest_TexasStarfish_*

Guest_TexasStarfish_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 June 2006 - 01:03 PM

What gets me is that I always have to take out my laptop while holding my boarding pass and license. Then I have to remove my shoes. Do you know how many times I've almost lost my license in an airport? I can't leave it in my purse because I have to put that through the machine and I usually don't have any pockets, especially in business attire.

Has anyone found a good solution?

#3 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 22 June 2006 - 01:33 PM

Hmmm,

What I used to do was leave change at home. When I arrived at the airport and checked anything I needed to, I stopped, and put everything from my pockets into the top pocket of my roll-on. I also wore sandals when traveling.

So my keys, phone, etc, breezed through in my roll-on, I had nothing to beep at the metal detector, and I just grabbed my gear and moved on. If you have a purse, or a laptop, shove that in the roll-on as well if you can. If they want to take it out, they can.

As for a pocket, I use an identity pouch. It goes around the neck, holds my cards, some cash, dive cards, and anything I "REALLLY" don't want to lose. Stays around my neck tucked into my shirt. When I have to show ID, I just pull it up, and show it. Then tuck it back away. No pockets.

I got the idea because I am a coach, and often have to have security credentials to get into stadia and on the fields. And sometimes coaching shorts don't have pockets.

The sandals make life easy because they are easy to come out of. I use slides rather than thong sandals (which I hate). If your feet get chilly on planes, wear silk liners under your normal socks or wear wool socks. When I have to fly into cold zones, I keep a pair if sturdy shoes in my carry on and wear wool socks and sandals. After landing, I put the sandals in the bag, and put on my shoes, then I am ready for the snow.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users