• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Under Antarctic Ice

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic
  • Logged Dives:too many logged, too many not logged...:)

Posted 26 June 2006 - 11:33 AM

Just caught Under Antarctic Ice on OPB (Oregon Public Broadcasting) last night. I have known of Nortbert Wu's Antarctic travels and photography before, but hadn't caught the actual film footage. It was simply breathtaking and interesting to watch.

My favorite part was when one of the divers was exiting the ice hole at the same time a large seal was coming for the hole to take a breath. Apparently male seals will fight over holes and the diver starts repeating, "Please don't bite me - please don't bite me". I'll bet he couldn't get out of the hole quick enough and you knew the camera man below knew what the diver was thinking!

It was also interesting to note the equipment used by the divers - I am familiar with these expeditions and most of the equipment because I actually looked into diving Antarctica, which is on my to-dive list, and have made equipment purchases accordingly - my gear buying philosphy is not to buy for today, but buy what you won't grow out of. That was one of the main reasons I purchased a DUI TLS 350 drysuit.

Click here for PBS programming info on Under Antarctic Ice. The site features many goodies like: a video clip of a diver under the Antarctic ice; an interview with Norbert Wu as he talks about filming in the frozen seas; what scientists are finding in Antarctica; and even middle school lesson plans for teachers!

Click here for the The National Science Foundation Office of Polar Programs site with detailed information regarding the underwater photography team dive project which lead to the film footage and photos over the course of two years.
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#2 drbill

drbill

I spend too much time on line

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 26 June 2006 - 11:26 PM

Familiar with Norbert Wu's still photography there and look forward to seeing this film. One of my dive buddies was there last February. Her dry suit flooded on one dive. Based on that, I'm saving Antarctica as my last continent to dive... just in case it really is!

#3 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic
  • Logged Dives:too many logged, too many not logged...:)

Posted 27 June 2006 - 12:15 AM

One of my dive buddies was there last February. Her dry suit flooded on one dive.

Holy cow! What did she say about that!!??
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#4 Cold_H2O

Cold_H2O

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,498 posts
  • Logged Dives:lost count but back to keeping a log.

Posted 27 June 2006 - 07:20 AM

DG ~ That is facinating.
Thanks. :cheerleader:
Well Behave Women Rarely Make History ~ Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Formerly known as gis_gal and name tattoo'd for a small bribe!

#5 finGrabber

finGrabber

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,276 posts
  • Board Status:thinkin' about diving
  • Cert Level:DM; TDI Adv Nitrox and Deco Procedures
  • Logged Dives:1200 ish

Posted 27 June 2006 - 07:46 AM

I saw the clips for the show Saturday but I didn't get to watch last night :cheerleader:

D_G - have you considered doing one of his expeditions?

#6 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 27 June 2006 - 08:03 AM

Holy cow! What did she say about that!!??

I think her exact words were "Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr" (spoken through chattering teeth). However, she was back in the water next chance she got. Karen is a trooper. She also took two trips to PNG within the last year or so... she and her BF (a dive boat captain) ended up captaining the dive boat and taking it to Australia for the owner when the regular captain jumped ship!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users