• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Deep diving regulators

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 finGrabber

finGrabber

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,276 posts
  • Board Status:thinkin' about diving
  • Cert Level:DM; TDI Adv Nitrox and Deco Procedures
  • Logged Dives:1200 ish

Posted 28 June 2006 - 02:34 PM

as some background,

I have 2 ScubaPro Mk10's with G250 as the primary

I've been reading the Nitrox thread and am wondering if I can use these regs for mixes over 40%...I'm not sure if it is just a conversion? Or will I need to invest in newer regs? and can I convert a yoke reg to DIN?

Comments?

#2 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic
  • Logged Dives:too many logged, too many not logged...:)

Posted 28 June 2006 - 02:41 PM

I've been reading the Nitrox thread and am wondering if I can use these regs for mixes over 40%...I'm not sure if it is just a conversion?

I don't know off the top of my head and don't trust just looking it up on the Internet - I will follow-up with my shop SP technican.

can I convert a yoke reg to DIN?

My SP tech said a MK10 can be converted
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#3 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 02:48 PM

Can't convert ALL yoke regs to DIN, but you certainly can with ScubaPros. I don't know anyone using the mk10s, so I don't know if they can be oxygen cleaned. Generally ScubaPros are a safe bet. I wouldn't dive it in very cold water though.

#4 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic

Posted 28 June 2006 - 02:52 PM

My SP tech is looking into the O2 cleaning for that first/second stage - he said there is no issue with diving a MK10 in cold water. I didn't ask about how it perfoms at deeper depths becuase you indicated you might be using it for high O2%, which means you'd probably be looking at depths 70' or less? Do you want me to ask?
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#5 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 28 June 2006 - 03:23 PM

A Mark 10 is an excellent reg for deep diving.
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#6 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 03:38 PM

Thanks Walter!

#7 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 28 June 2006 - 04:37 PM

You're welcome, of course, I've never personally had one much deeper than 200 feet...............
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#8 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 04:42 PM

You're welcome, of course, I've never personally had one much deeper than 200 feet...............

lol - well in that case - Fingrabber we're going to have to call the 300 footer!

#9 6Gill

6Gill

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts
  • Logged Dives:100+

Posted 29 June 2006 - 01:56 AM

as some background,

I've been reading the Nitrox thread and am wondering if I can use these regs for mixes over 40%...I'm not sure if it is just a conversion? Or will I need to invest in newer regs? and can I convert a yoke reg to DIN?

Comments?

Great regs...
They can be O2 cleaned,converting to DIN is quick and easy and good at depth.As a side note when using trimix your regs will breath real easy.

#10 finGrabber

finGrabber

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,276 posts

Posted 29 June 2006 - 12:57 PM

My SP tech is looking into the O2 cleaning for that first/second stage - he said there is no issue with diving a MK10 in cold water. I didn't ask about how it perfoms at deeper depths becuase you indicated you might be using it for high O2%, which means you'd probably be looking at depths 70' or less? Do you want me to ask?

Yes, please ask!

I'm looking into taking the Adv Nitrox and Deco Procedures classes from TDI, then Extended Range, then Beginning Trimix

I'm really trying to find out if I need to change my regulators now or if the ones I have can be upgraded. I'm not overly familiar with the conversions that regs need to handle an oxygen content over 40%...mine can go to 40% now

of course, I love my SP regs!

and Walter has the same setup I do, so it's great to know you've dove them to 200 feet without issues

#11 finGrabber

finGrabber

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,276 posts

Posted 29 June 2006 - 12:58 PM

as some background,

Comments?

Great regs...
They can be O2 cleaned,converting to DIN is quick and easy and good at depth.As a side note when using trimix your regs will breath real easy.

how do you convert them?

#12 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts

Posted 29 June 2006 - 01:13 PM

how do you convert them?

It's a kit your SP teech can order and then change out the parts. I had this done with a reg and watched while the tech turned a DIN into yoke. I kept my DIN parts too - and turned in back to DIN about 4 years later.

#13 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts

Posted 29 June 2006 - 01:16 PM

Yes, please ask!

Will do and post when I get back from NC. Sound slike this is a non-issue though from what Walter posted.

I'm looking into taking the Adv Nitrox and Deco Procedures classes from TDI, then Extended Range, then Beginning Trimix

I'm really trying to find out if I need to change my regulators now or if the ones I have can be upgraded. I'm not overly familiar with the conversions that regs need to handle an oxygen content over 40%...mine can go to 40% now

of course, I love my SP regs!

Also talk with your TDI instructor. When I talked with my "tech" instructor, that was the best hands on training and thought process I had put into gear in a long time - becuase of both his knowledge & experience base as well as mine, which helped me to understadn and make better informaed decisions. My instructor dives APeks and I stayed with my MK25 and purchased two more. Two go on my doubles, one is my deco reg.

#14 finGrabber

finGrabber

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,276 posts

Posted 29 June 2006 - 02:22 PM

I've talked to my local Course Director who will have a TDI instructor on staff about these courses

from what I've read, I should have matched regs for all my stages

is that what you did, Dive Girl?

#15 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts

Posted 29 June 2006 - 02:43 PM

from what I've read, I should have matched regs for all my stages

is that what you did, Dive Girl?

Ultimately it is your choice what you do. I personally matched all my regs because I can interchange parts (above and below) and only need to have one type of repair kits to work with. I started my training with my shop owner's Poseidons (doubles regs and deco regs) and moved to MK25s once I purchased the additional two I needed, since I excitedly already owned one and was pleasantly surprised that it would work for my extended diving. I like gear you don't grow out of!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users