• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Memorial Day Weekend in San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 ArizonaDiver

ArizonaDiver

Getting started

• Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Board Status:Just working
  • Cert Level:AOW (NITROX) / Working on Rescue Diver
  • Logged Dives:68

Posted 06 June 2004 - 10:45 PM

Wow, what a great weekend. Memorial Day Weekend started for me on Friday morning as I crossed the U.S./Mexico Border at about 7:00 A.M. with a full tank of gas, and two full scuba tanks. I made it to San Carlos by about noon and that includes a side detour of getting lost in Hermosillo due to traffic and trying to take a short cut. Made it to the beach and met up with a buddy from California. We made two beach dives that day from Lalo's Cove. My buddy is a dive instructor for PADI and was training four new open water students, so I buddied up with his mother-in-law and his wife. Not even into five feet of water and still on my snorkel I spotted an octopus. This was followed up by many skates, and wonderful fish. On the way in we spotted a seahorse in about 20ft. of water. Had to surface due to air supply and attempted to locate it on our second dive but were unable to.

The night was spent with wonderful carne asada and a good nights sleep. Early to rise on Saturday and a quick breakfast burrito at Jax Snax (yes that is how it is spelled) and off to the marina. Gary's Dive Shop is where the group of us (37 from the local dive shop here) were going out on. The boat was loaded and ready to go, and a short ride out to seal island. This is known for an aboundance of see life, always a few green moray's and if your lucky a spotted morey or two! Our trip included about five spotted morey's and only two green morey eals. And of course the sea lions were there and in full force. Still waiting for the pictures to get devolped hopeing they came out good. If you just sit there it is wonderful, they just come right at you, and it seems as though if you just ignore them, they will come right at your mask and then at the last minute turn. Really wild. The other great thing about this dive company is when you come up from your first dive, fresh hot and ready to go fish tacos are waiting for you with all the fixings. Two tanks later and we were on our way in to the docks.

A nice four hour nap and then it was off to dinner at Cabachos in Guaymos and two orders of shrimp a cocktail and appetizer all for less than $20 U.S.. Then off to Club 1910 for a few drinks and dancing. Wow can those mexican women move their hips.

Once again early to rise on Sunday morning and off to the boat. First stop was esanada bay, and bad news. I got lucky I was wearing a full suit, others were not, and encountered many burners in the water and jelly fish. Good thing we had plenty of vinegar and alcohol on the boat. Quickly moved from there to the other side of the bay and enjoyed our fish tacos on the way. No burners or jelly fish to be seen and into the water we went. Saw one of the biggest blow fish I think I have ever seen, about the size of my thigh. :D After this dive it was into the marina for a quick nap and return to the boat by 7:00 P.M. for the night dive. On the Night Dive we encounted box crabs out running around by the dive ancor, a few lobsters were out and about. In to the marina by 10:00 P.M. and off for Carne Asada.

Monday was a speed day, all local dives, a quick boat ride 30 min. or less and we were at our first dive sight known as the islands. Easily 80 to 100ft. depth and all kinds of stuff to find from dive masks to dive lights and weight belts to even an anchor or two. My buddy and I only made it to 80, and stopped because our computers were saying we needed to, and we maintained about a 70 foot or so depth, so great moreys completely out of the rocks and swimming around. Back up to the boat, (after a saftey stop of course) and fish tacos it was. Around the corner and back down for a shallow 35 foot dive along a cliff and just tons of fish especially baby fish in the area. Alot of skates and then back up to the boat.

Back to the marina by 12:00 back to the hotel for a shower and quick cleaning of the gear, and checked out by 1:00. On the road by 2:00 and at the border by 7:45. Had to wait in line at the border for about an hour and half, and once back into the United States stopped and got a Mountain Dew, (can't seem to find them anywhere in Mexcio).

What a weekend. Hopefully I can do it again on July 4th weekend, but if not, I will be sure to report on my trip to Indonesia in July.

Brett
Anyone near by Arizona and ever wants to make a trip to San Carlos, let me know I am always ready. :cool1:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users