• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Strait to Adventure

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Diverbrian

Diverbrian

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI DiveCon/IANTD Normoxic Trimix.....
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 07 June 2004 - 04:04 PM

This past weekend, I was gone for a reason. I was diving in the shadow of one of the largest suspension bridges in the world (that would be the Mackinaw Bridge).

This area where Lake Huron and Lake Michigan meet has some beautiful shipwrecks. Like Diving Gal's trip these are cold water dives, but worth the cost of the drysuit and training to use it.

I arrived in St. Ignace, Michigan Friday night and checked into the Driftwood Hotel (which also has a Sports Bar and Restaraunt). I met my group Saturday morning. First lesson learned, buy some form of sealant (DONE). I have ripped a pinhole leak in my drysuit the previous weekend and didn't realize it until I was packing to go. Fortunately, one the other divers had some Aquaseal and Hardener and I was off to the races with a repaired drysuit.

We get on the dive boat and pull out. The weather couldn't have been ordered any better. Our group included three Scott's (two of which were from Canada), Jeff from Indiana, Jim (an instructor from Canada, and Deb (from Michigan). Deb and I were dive buddies on Sunday and Jim and I were buddies on Saturday.

First wreck:

Eber Ward, which is an old wooden steamer. It hit ice and sank in 140 ft. of water in 1909. The mooring buoy had be installed as it was removed for the season last year. There was a line that came up about 15 ft. from the surface. I swam out with the mooring buoy and reattached. Meanwhile, my dive group was last to go in so I enjoyed a leisurely swim in my drysuit by the boat while the other two groups went in first. (I didn't feel like climbing back aboard in my doubles for some reason).

The Dive: 126 ft. for 36 minutes. Water temp: 45 degrees F. We went inside and looked for some light fixtures that are known to be there, but we never found them. The three levels that are left have nice artifacts like a bathtub. The mushroom anchor on this wreck has to be seen to be believed as well. Most of the deck machinery is intact, but the bow is demolished. Still this is a great wreck.

Second Wreck:

William Young: This old schooner was found a year or so ago by police divers looking for a rumored jumper from the bridge. The bow is fairly intact right up to having the ship's wheel. This wreck lies in about 120 ft. of water.

The trouble was that we couldn't find a mooring line at all. We could find the wreck on the depth finder and we had the GPS coordinates, but with the currents in the Straits, tying off to her was necessary to dive her.

So, I jumped in on the upcurrent side of where we thought the wreck was and descended to the bottom of the lake. I saw a shadow in the distance and swam towards it. I saw pieces of shaped wood connected to a line. Sure enough, this was the Young. I then tied a reel off a sturdy part of the wreck and shot a lift bag to the surface to mark the spot precisely. Then another diver (Jim) tied a real mooring line off to her after I came up and verified that we were set.

I took my decompression bottle off the boat and proceeded to dive the wreck for fun.

Dive: 112 ft. 46 mins. in 46 degree water. Oh, and 50 ft. visibility (Yay).

Next Day:

We tried to tie off the Eber Ward and dive her again. The mooring line broke loose in the 2-4 footers and heavy winds. We decided to dive the Young again.

This dive on the Young (besides lots of photos which I am working on now):

117 ft. for 37 min. and 43 degree water. Same beautiful condition on this old wooden ship.

Last wreck of the weekend:

Cedarville: This cargo freighter is among the largest shipwrecks in the Great Lakes. It collided with another freighter in the fog with the loss of most of her crew in 1965. This wreck is in about 100 ft. of water and lies on her side. She is 588 ft. long.

Aside from adding some rust coloring to my gear, I was able to poke around the pilothouse and some of the forward end. Cool wreck, but I prefer wooden ones.

Dive: 97 ft for 45 min in 45 degree water.

All in all, this was a great weekend. I hope that everybody had one equally as nice. I'll be in Toby myself in a month. I'll let everybody know what the water temps are then. :wakawaka:

Edited by Diverbrian, 07 June 2004 - 04:05 PM.

A person should be judged in this life not by the mistakes that they make nor by the number of them. Rather they are to be judged by their recovery from them.

#2 Marvel

Marvel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,057 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox

Posted 07 June 2004 - 04:15 PM

Wow! Between you & DivingGal, I'm starting to think "drysuit'.....
Marvel

"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C. S. Lewis

Posted Image

#3 scubahoney

scubahoney

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:20ish

Posted 07 June 2004 - 04:48 PM

No! Marvel..don't go to the dark side!!!
LOL
The greatest resource of the ocean is not material but the boundless spring of inspiration and well-being we gain from her.
~Jacques Cousteau

#4 triggerfish

triggerfish

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,712 posts
  • Cert Level:goddess.
  • Logged Dives:never enough

Posted 07 June 2004 - 07:35 PM

Aquaseal and Hardener

you didn't really think i'd pass on THAT, didja?? :wakawaka:

#5 triggerfish

triggerfish

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 07 June 2004 - 07:38 PM

so, brian....you warmed up yet??

sounds like you had some fun....i'm still waiting for my lake plunge!!!!

#6 Diverbrian

Diverbrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI DiveCon/IANTD Normoxic Trimix.....

Posted 07 June 2004 - 07:53 PM

so, brian....you warmed up yet??

sounds like you had some fun....i'm still waiting for my lake plunge!!!!

Believe it or not, I never got real cold (except on my (ahem) extended safety stops). But, if someone offers to help me warm up, I certainly welcome it. I was wondering if someone would catch on to my comment on the epoxy used to repair my drysuit. I should have guessed that it would be you, TF.

And yes, I had a great time. I hope that you come to Brockville when we get it going for your first Northern wreck exploration.
A person should be judged in this life not by the mistakes that they make nor by the number of them. Rather they are to be judged by their recovery from them.

#7 triggerfish

triggerfish

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 07 June 2004 - 08:55 PM

you betcha.

let's see....i got about 30 lbs of ice in the freezer....i can put it in the tub and sit in there for a day or so....
yeah...that should prepare me!!!!!

#8 Marvel

Marvel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,057 posts

Posted 07 June 2004 - 09:36 PM

No! Marvel..don't go to the dark side!!!
LOL

But I'm hearing the call especially when the talk is about wrecks... :teeth:
Marvel

"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C. S. Lewis

Posted Image

#9 triggerfish

triggerfish

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 07 June 2004 - 09:43 PM

sistuh, next time i go practice in our LQ (local quarry) i'll have my buddy tape me. you will learn a LOT about butt-first ascents, strange attitudes in the water trying to dump air outta the suit (cuz you can't position the stupid dump valve), getting the suit inflator hose caught in your bc hose, and generally feeling like you're in a pair of pantyhose you not only put on BaCKWARDS but TWISTED as well.

yeah, boy.

can't wait to spend a few grand on THAT!!!!!

(actually, it's not QUITE that bad. the twisted pantyhose loosens up when your butt ascends)

#10 Marvel

Marvel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,057 posts

Posted 07 June 2004 - 09:47 PM

(actually, it's not QUITE that bad. the twisted pantyhose loosens up when your butt ascends)

Something to look forward to... :teeth:
Marvel

Posted Image

#11 triggerfish

triggerfish

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 07 June 2004 - 10:21 PM

mmmm...and add a crotch strap to the bp/w.....we're talkin ECSTACY here!!!!!!!

#12 DivingGal

DivingGal

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 359 posts
  • Cert Level:Divemaster.... love looking at critters, but enjoy wrecks when I can't
  • Logged Dives:300+

Posted 08 June 2004 - 04:25 AM

Now you have me wishing the summer away (not really) as I'm heading to the straights at the begining of August. Our gang is also staying at the Driftwood.

Glad you had a great trip... now to get this gang to Brockville! (Where the water is already 53F and will warm up even more by September)
Sometimes, you just gotta be

#13 hnladue

hnladue

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue/Adv Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:enough

Posted 08 June 2004 - 11:30 AM

hehe... he said hardener!!! hehehehehe

Edited by hnladue, 08 June 2004 - 11:31 AM.

Sempar Partus!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users