• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Lembeh Strait & Bunaken Marine Park???

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#31 chinacat46

chinacat46

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,147 posts
  • Cert Level:OWSI
  • Logged Dives:1527(8 in fresh water)

Posted 04 November 2006 - 05:30 PM

Robin,

No worries about the wine I'm going on the trip to dive :birthday: not to drink. Just like to have a glass or three in the evening. I like a nice red so if you are a white wine fan there will be plenty of that left over. :respect: Will talk with my Doc in Jan. about getting some meds for Raja Ampat.

- Chuck

#32 Travelnsj

Travelnsj

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 04 November 2006 - 05:42 PM

Robin,

One thing about the Golden Dawn, I have talked to Craig before and he books out up to two years in advance. I have talked to a couple of people who have been on the Golden Dawn and they have dove Palau, Cocos, Scorros and Wakatobi....Nothing compares to the Eastern Fields....problem for me is I get seasick walking in rain :respect: ....and his trips are mostly 10 day to 2 weeks......I'm still thinking about it one of these days :birthday: .....If you ENT people would come up with a cure for us wimps.....LOL...and before you ask I have even tried Witch doctor stuff.....Mechlizne is the only thing that works...and makes me sleeply and very stupid....LOL
You must endeavor to pursue!

#33 chinacat46

chinacat46

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,147 posts

Posted 04 November 2006 - 06:08 PM

Well it probably won't be till 2009 or 10 before I do my 3-4 week trip to PNG so that will give me enuff time to book a berth on the Golden Dawn. That whole area down there Indonesia, PNG, Philippines and Micronesia just has the best diving in the world to bad it's not as close as the caribbean. Scott as for your seasickness having you ever tried cutting off your head? :respect:

#34 Travelnsj

Travelnsj

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 01:08 PM

Scott as for your seasickness having you ever tried cutting off your head? :birthday:

:teeth: Thought about that when I’m in that fetal position praying everyone to get back on the boat so we can take off….but hard to swim without it…cannot see much :birthday: !….and I did not stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night!…LOL :birthday:

#35 chinacat46

chinacat46

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,147 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 03:03 PM

Well it's the thought that counts!

#36 Travelnsj

Travelnsj

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 06 November 2006 - 12:35 AM

Robin,

Just read a trip report from a Sandra who stayed at the Kasawari resort (that opened in August of this year) in the Lembeh area. They have previously stayed at KBR and Lembeh.....They raved about it....for your info.

I am looking at doing my trip in December of 07......They reported water temps of 77 to 79....does it get warmer in Dec?

Scott

#37 secretsea18

secretsea18

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:1062

Posted 07 November 2006 - 06:34 PM

Robin,

Just read a trip report from a Sandra who stayed at the Kasawari resort (that opened in August of this year) in the Lembeh area. They have previously stayed at KBR and Lembeh.....They raved about it....for your info.

I am looking at doing my trip in December of 07......They reported water temps of 77 to 79....does it get warmer in Dec?

Scott

Scott, I will look at the report from Sandra ( where would this report be located????).
I only know about Kasawari from a pilot nudibranch dive fiend friend of mine that it was started by two of the DMs from KBR. I have been waiting to hear from him... he went last month.

Anyway, as far as water temp, I have only been there in Dec. Water was fine!!!!! Wore just a 3mm suit, 4 dives a day. Lovely.

You might want to email them for the info at KBR.

Robin

Edited by secretsea18, 07 November 2006 - 06:46 PM.

#38 Travelnsj

Travelnsj

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 07 November 2006 - 07:56 PM

Robin here is the thread here... good info...sounds like a great resort.

#39 Travelnsj

Travelnsj

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 13 November 2006 - 12:41 PM

Robin & Chuck

Thanks for all the input…Made my decision!!… Sept 27 thru Oct 10th…. booked my flight LAX to Bali…Will spend 5 nights and 3 days diving in Amed Bali…this is a remote area with black sand beaches and about 30 minutes from Tulamben where the Liberty wreck is. I really enjoyed the Tulamben area when I dove in Sept. Amed is supposed to be Remote and Pristine diving……Then to Wakatobi :sleepy:...for 10 days!!! :P :thankyou: :unhappy: ….WOO....HOO.

Chuck…..I need a dive buddy…the Wakatobi single supplement is 75% (cannot afford that)….and I think the term used by you to describe the diving is “Brilliant”!….so Chuck???…this is the only Garden Room left!…..Also I am thinking about 2008….doing my annual trek to Palau in March, instead of doing 10 to 12 days in Palau….I may do 6 days in Palau and then fly to the Philippines and do Malapascua.....for 6 days…any interest? Best time of the year to go :P

Robin….did you read Sandra’s report about Kasawari?….let me know what you think.

My last trip for 2007 will be December-January 2007 and that will be Irian Jaya and the Lembeh Strait…unless Rangiora knocks my socks off this December :cool2:

#40 secretsea18

secretsea18

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts

Posted 13 November 2006 - 04:08 PM

Robin

Robin….did you read Sandra’s report about Kasawari?….let me know what you think.

My last trip for 2007 will be December-January 2007 and that will be Irian Jaya and the Lembeh Strait…unless Rangiora knocks my socks off this December :dance:

Yes I did see that report. I also saw the booth for Kasawari at DEMA this past weekend. It looks very nice indeed. I think that you would have excellent diving, accomodations and dining at any of the three places in Lembeh. Kasawari, KBR and Lembeh Resort.

Don't know if there is a "season" at Malapascua. I remembered to remind you that their is no fresh water at any place on the island for showering, all brackish (just like it was when I went to Wakatobi my first visit) and that includes the "rinse tanks" .... even for cameras. After I learned that, I improvised one of my travel totes (plastic box) into a fresh water rinse tank for my camera and computer, using purchased fresh drinking water. You buy a liter bottle and then pay for refills out of a large tank. Something like 50 peso per liter. Otherwise, and remember to bring drinking water onto the dive boat, and diving towels. None are provided there. (And yes, it is considered the "best" resort on the island). :D

For Raja Ampat diving, there are many choices, all the best seem to be on liveaboards. There are many to look at. Since Undercurrent is coming out in a month, it will be interesting to see what is said about some of the newer ones.
:cool2:

#41 Travelnsj

Travelnsj

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 14 November 2006 - 10:43 PM

Well....Robin....thanks for sharing about the brackish water....I can somewhat take luke warm water for a shower in the AM.....but planning on 10 days of taking showers in salt water :hugs: ....Hmmmm .....maybe my idea in 08 Palau and Malapascua... cut that to about 5 days for Malapascua....next you are going to tell me Exotic has no Hot Water :dance: ....LOL....they say the weather is perfect in March and waters are about 28C or about 82F.

Regarding Raja Ampat diving...I saw a new liveaboard (at the Long Beach scuba show) I think it was called the Odyssey and had rooms with a moderate single supplement charge...was tempted.....but that motion sickness thing :diver:........I'll do resorts in Irian Jaya and the Lembeh Strait....for Dec 07...I'll keep a lookout for the Undercurrent review.

Edited by Travelnsj, 14 November 2006 - 10:47 PM.

#42 Travelnsj

Travelnsj

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 14 November 2006 - 10:45 PM

Scott as for your seasickness having you ever tried cutting off your head? :dance:

Hey Chuck....just wondering how your weather is where you live??? :lmao: .....80 here tomorrow :diver: :fish: :hugs:

Edited by Travelnsj, 14 November 2006 - 10:49 PM.

#43 secretsea18

secretsea18

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 06:20 AM

Well....Robin....thanks for sharing about the brackish water....I can somewhat take luke warm water for a shower in the AM.....but planning on 10 days of taking showers in salt water :hugs: ....Hmmmm .....maybe my idea in 08 Palau and Malapascua... cut that to about 5 days for Malapascua....next you are going to tell me Exotic has no Hot Water :dance: ....LOL....they say the weather is perfect in March and waters are about 28C or about 82F.

Regarding Raja Ampat diving...I saw a new liveaboard (at the Long Beach scuba show) I think it was called the Odyssey and had rooms with a moderate single supplement charge...was tempted.....but that motion sickness thing :diver:........I'll do resorts in Irian Jaya and the Lembeh Strait....for Dec 07...I'll keep a lookout for the Undercurrent review.

My room at Exotic did have hot water shower, and AC but I always booked the most expensive room there and the full board meal plan. I think the lower rate rooms may not have hot water, but I would check their website to be certain if that is important to you. Not trying to burst your balloon, but I was very surprised re the water when I went the first time and actually not so happy that I did not know about it. I was worried about what I was going to do about the camera rinse foremost and my showering second. (As I said, that was also my first experience at Wakatobi ... brackish water from the tap and shower .. but then they put in the water maker, and voila ... fresh water showers and a much better trip.) Ocean temps are good (I was there Nov) and had beautiful sunny sky with small wind.

#44 chinacat46

chinacat46

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,147 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 07:52 PM

Scott as for your seasickness having you ever tried cutting off your head? :-D

Hey Chuck....just wondering how your weather is where you live??? :respect: .....80 here tomorrow :P :respect: :P

Scott the weather here has been fine. Not 80 but mid 40's. You probably heard about all the snow but that has been in the mountains not where I'm at(about 9 miles east of Boulder). So the skiing should be great. Might even go skiing the day after turkey day. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users