• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

I learned a lesson that I already knew but ignored

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 gcbryan

gcbryan

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts
  • Logged Dives:620

Posted 08 July 2006 - 12:52 AM

I learned a lesson tonight that I already knew but ignored somewhat. I won't do that again. This was my first dive after having the neckseal replaced in my drysuit. I knew it was very tight but didn't want to cut it unless absolutely necessary. Although latex doesn't stretch alot it does stretch somewhat over time. Cutting a neckseal can easily result in an uneven cut that can cause it to tear more easily thus requiring it to be replaced again.

I also picked the wrong dive site to experiment with a tight neckseal. This site was crowded with nondivers so I had to park about 6 blocks from the water. I geared up at my car and made the walk with the tight neckseal got into the water where we had to swim about 1/8 mile over to a no longer used oil pier. We dropped down and within 10 minutes I was feeling queezy. I knew my body wasn't getting enough oxygen and that I wasn't feeling well so I called the dive. It wasn't until I was on the long swim back that I fully realized that the neck seal was on so tight that it was choking me. Of course at this point I still had a very long swim back and a long walk back to my car.

Even after I got all the gear off and on the drive home I still felt as if I were being choked.

Lesson learned...if it feels like your new neck seal is too tight, it is.

#2 blacklatexozdiver

blacklatexozdiver

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 742 posts
  • Board Status:-
  • Cert Level:OW, Drysuit, Underwater Naturalist
  • Logged Dives:16 (pretty hard to dive where there's no water...)

Posted 08 July 2006 - 01:20 AM

Good advice. :)
"Gravitation cannot be held responsible for people falling in love." Albert Einstein

SD's Aussie Connection.

#3 peterbj7

peterbj7

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:over 4000

Posted 08 July 2006 - 08:30 AM

I use neoprene neckseals nowadays. I've never found latex comfortable, andas I've always had to trim the seal I have experienced the fragility of latex. Although off-the-peg neoprene seals have reportedly not always been a good watertight fit, a made-to-measure one should be totally watertight, nice and warm round the neck, very comfortable, and long lasting. No contest, in my mind.

I'm one of those people who find it difficult to achieve a good wrist seal, with neoprene or latex, but made-to-measure neoprene leaks no more than latex and is much more durable. I know several people who've nicked wrist seals on sharp bits of wreck and had very wet dives, followed of course with having to replace the seals. Ever since I switched to neoprene I've had no problems, and they're so much more COMFORTABLE.

#4 ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts
  • Cert Level:Course Director; CCR Instructor
  • Logged Dives:2000+

Posted 08 July 2006 - 11:29 AM

I might be at the other end of the spectrum. My seal felt fine when I trimmed it about a year ago. (I made sure to stretch it for 24 hours before cutting to allow for some stretch over time.) I had no problems with leaking, and it didn't feel too tight.

However, now, when I reach across my chest too far, I can feel water leaking in below my Adam's Apple. This is improved if I move the top of the seal up a bit on my neck in the front. However, I am starting to toy with the idea of putting on a new seal with one less ring trimmed.

Luckily, since I have ZipSeals, it won't be a big deal to change it out. However, I don't want it to be too tight like yours. So, I haven't yet made the change. Decisions, decisions. :)
"The most important thing is not to stop questioning." Albert Einstein

"For the diligent diver, closed circuit rebreathers are actually safer than open circuit scuba." Tom Mount

#5 gcbryan

gcbryan

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts

Posted 08 July 2006 - 05:52 PM

I might be at the other end of the spectrum. My seal felt fine when I trimmed it about a year ago. (I made sure to stretch it for 24 hours before cutting to allow for some stretch over time.) I had no problems with leaking, and it didn't feel too tight.

However, now, when I reach across my chest too far, I can feel water leaking in below my Adam's Apple. This is improved if I move the top of the seal up a bit on my neck in the front. However, I am starting to toy with the idea of putting on a new seal with one less ring trimmed.

Luckily, since I have ZipSeals, it won't be a big deal to change it out. However, I don't want it to be too tight like yours. So, I haven't yet made the change. Decisions, decisions. :D

\
Before I ripped the seal and therefore had to have it replaced I was in your situation. It was fine when I first got it but over time it leaked if I made tried to check my valve or made any large stretches. I just overcompensated with the new seal by not cutting it at all :D

I cut it today and will test it out on another dive tonight.

#6 Brinybay

Brinybay

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:580

Posted 08 July 2006 - 06:56 PM

Did you even stretch it? I've always been told to stretch new neck seals overnight on a tank before trimming it (and I have). If it's still too tight, then trim it carefully.
"The cure for anything is saltwater--sweat, tears, or the sea." - Isak Dinesen

"A good marriage is like an interlocking neurosis, where the rocks in one person's head fill up the holes in the other's."

#7 gcbryan

gcbryan

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts

Posted 09 July 2006 - 01:52 AM

I did stretch it and today I did trim it and dove with it. I left it a little tight but much better than last night.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users