• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Jean-Michel Cousteau's PBS Special on Sharks

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 drbill

drbill

I spend too much time on line

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 12 July 2006 - 10:06 PM

Just left the tube after watching Jean-Michel's PBS documentary on sharks. Personally, I thought this was the best of the three I've seen so far in this series. The footage was very good, the story told well, and some very positive take home messages given to the viewer.

Of course watching old friends doing these dives and knowing that others I've worked with in the past were involved behind the camera and topside made it more personal for me. But I was also thinking... all these friends from our early days still doing these shows. I wanna too! Dive to 200 ft, no big deal. Ride on the dorsal fin of a great white... um, let me think about that one for a while!

PS I just e-mailed JMC and Nan, Don Santee, Dick Murphy and Pam Stacey (the writer) saying the only thing that would have made it better for me was to be there with them! We'll see if that gets any favorable response! I could use a new adventure.

Edited by drbill, 12 July 2006 - 10:20 PM.

#2 annasea

annasea

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 12 July 2006 - 10:08 PM

I just saw this as well! I found some of the tanks they were diving to be quite interesting... what kind were they? I'd never seen them before.

#3 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts

Posted 12 July 2006 - 10:14 PM

I just saw this as well! I found some of the tanks they were diving to be quite interesting... what kind were they? I'd never seen them before.

If we're thinking along the same lines, you were seeing a hard shell around a set of tanks used to improve hydrodynamics, etc. They've dived with some form of these tank shells for several decades

#4 gcbryan

gcbryan

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts
  • Logged Dives:620

Posted 12 July 2006 - 10:22 PM

I just saw the show. Finally a decent diving documentary with no excess drama, scarey music, awful diving technique, etc.

Under those circumstances I think I would do the Great White dives but it wouldn't take much to talk me out of it :cheerleader:

#5 annasea

annasea

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 12 July 2006 - 10:26 PM

If we're thinking along the same lines, you were seeing a hard shell around a set of tanks used to improve hydrodynamics, etc. They've dived with some form of these tank shells for several decades

Yes, that's it! :cheerleader:

#6 Capn Jack

Capn Jack

• Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts
  • Board Status:Working to fund the next trip
  • Cert Level:YMCA in 65, dove till 79, returned in 2002... now will work for air and/or beer as a DM
  • Logged Dives:not enough

Posted 12 July 2006 - 10:31 PM

I just saw the show. Finally a decent diving documentary with no excess drama, scarey music, awful diving technique, etc.

Under those circumstances I think I would do the Great White dives but it wouldn't take much to talk me out of it :cheerleader:

Agree about a good show. I've had my fill of adrenaline though, so I'll give my fin ride to someone else.

Watching the attacks on seals where they come out of the water made me think the guy who was laying on the dive platform, tapping them on the snout to get the full mouth gape effect, was NUTS.

Have to admit the sight of all those fins choked me up though. Terrible, absolutely terrible.
No aquarium, no tank in a marine land, however spacious it may be, can begin to duplicate the conditions of the sea. And no dolphin who inhabits one of those aquariums or one of those marine lands can be considered normal.
Jacques Yves Cousteau

#7 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts

Posted 12 July 2006 - 10:51 PM

Have to admit the sight of all those fins choked me up though. Terrible, absolutely terrible.

I had a long discussion with a mainland Chinese buddy of mine about shark fin soup. She saw nothing wrong with it, and felt the growing Chinese middle class should have the benefit of eating the soup now that more of them could afford it. Can't say it was the friendliest discussion she and I had.

Edited by drbill, 12 July 2006 - 10:52 PM.

#8 gcbryan

gcbryan

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts
  • Logged Dives:620

Posted 13 July 2006 - 12:07 AM

Regarding the shark fin soup...one can only hope that increasing education catches up to one's increasing wallet one day.

#9 Basslet

Basslet

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,463 posts
  • Cert Level:OW
  • Logged Dives:150

Posted 13 July 2006 - 07:31 AM

Maybe the fact that the fins are full of mercury will deter them when they start giving birth to deformed children.
I thoght the show was pretty good. I wish there were fewer shots of "the stars" and more of the critters though. I'm glad he emphasized conservation.

#10 CaptSaaz

CaptSaaz

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,194 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:88

Posted 13 July 2006 - 08:59 AM

Very enjoyable to watch. JMC does it right whereas the grandkids leave me shaking my head at their stupidity. I like the mix of exploring and discover with the conservation message. Sometimes I think, when it comes to our oceans... out of sight, out of mind... thus we are destroying them.
We all must believe in something... I believe I'll have another beer

#11 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts

Posted 13 July 2006 - 07:57 PM

Very enjoyable to watch. JMC does it right whereas the grandkids leave me shaking my head at their stupidity. I like the mix of exploring and discover with the conservation message. Sometimes I think, when it comes to our oceans... out of sight, out of mind... thus we are destroying them.

This is the primary reason I write my "Dive Dry with Dr. Bill" nerwspaper column and produce my daily TV show... to reach the many who never experience the underwater world we do in hopes they will learn to love it and protect it. One of Jean-Michel's motivations as well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users