• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Why do all the crazy people come after me?!

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#1 scubahoney

scubahoney

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:20ish

Posted 18 June 2004 - 09:09 PM

So, I'm on my way to Braum's for a late-night ice cream fix (with my mom), and this guy totally pulls out in front of me. Had I not noticed, and most people wouldn't have (you wouldn't expect someone with a trailer to pull out in front of you when there are no other cars on the road and you're going 45mph), I would have rear ended him and would have prob been in a huge accident. I should mention that he didn't just pull out in front of me, he also almost completely stopped with NOOOOO brake lights on his trailer. Of course I honked at him...and not just one honk..one of those long angry honks...and drove around him. I admit I do not tolerate stupidty like that on the road (especially at night).
This guy proceeds to follow me to Braums and pinned me into the drive thru so that I could not get out and drive away. Needless to say I was scared because...well...you can only imagine what the guy would do, right?! My mom rolled down her window and told him if he didn't leave she would call the police. In response....HE CALLED THE POLICE ON ME?!?!?!!? WTF!!!??? :2cool:
Now honestly, I was angry, but I KNOW I didn't do anything wrong. I wasn't speeding, I didn't flip him off or curse him...so why did he make me out to be the bad guy?! :fish:

Does this kinda thing happen to anyone else? I'm not talking about typical everyday road rage where someone cuts you off or something. If I had hit him, there is no doubt in my mind that I would no longer have a drivable car and I would prob be in the ER right now. :dltears: (I drive a small clunker, and he was in a truck with a trailer full of heavy equipment). Why do people have to act so inconceivably stupid sometimes?
The greatest resource of the ocean is not material but the boundless spring of inspiration and well-being we gain from her.
~Jacques Cousteau

#2 triggerfish

triggerfish

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,712 posts
  • Cert Level:goddess.
  • Logged Dives:never enough

Posted 18 June 2004 - 09:16 PM

i think that's why car manufacturers passed on the option of SPGs in cars.

i would blown mr. d***less clear back to dumbf*** egypt where he came from.

(ok, so i've had a long day...where were those deep breathing techniques of zen's?.....)

#3 kevininpo

kevininpo

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 18 June 2004 - 09:24 PM

the questions that beg to be asked are these- Why honk at them in the first place? did it make you feel better? have you never made a mistake driving before?
did honking explain what his problem was, or yours? most important, was the end result what you had envisioned as you contemplated honking in the first place.
if it ain't broke, fix it till it is
what if the hokey pokey really IS what it's all about?

#4 scubahoney

scubahoney

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts

Posted 18 June 2004 - 09:25 PM

Geez TF-do you need a hug?! :2cool:
The greatest resource of the ocean is not material but the boundless spring of inspiration and well-being we gain from her.
~Jacques Cousteau

#5 triggerfish

triggerfish

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 18 June 2004 - 09:25 PM

oh you people in seattle.

you NEVER honk cuz it's impolite!!!
i went to visit my grilfriend, and i was driving. a guy cut me off and i honked, and she was MORTIFIED!!!!!

Edited by triggerfish, 18 June 2004 - 09:26 PM.

#6 scubahoney

scubahoney

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts

Posted 18 June 2004 - 09:28 PM

the questions that beg to be asked are these- Why honk at them in the first place? did it make you feel better? have you never made a mistake driving before?
did honking explain what his problem was, or yours? most important, was the end result what you had envisioned as you contemplated honking in the first place.

If I remember correctly..the horn was invented to warn people..and I honked to warn him that I almost hit him...and I wanted him to know that he did a really stupid thing. Of course I've done stupid things while driving...but I have never followed someone and scared the crap out of them becuase they honked at me.
I know honking doesn't solve problems..but its supposed to prevent them...and besides..that's not the issue here. So I honked..who gives a da#@? Did you read the rest of my story?! And besides...do you know anyone that wouldn't have honked in that situation?!
~Jacques Cousteau

#7 kevininpo

kevininpo

• PipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 18 June 2004 - 09:38 PM

l know one person that wouldn't honk...me. l also wouldn't have gotten angry because of someone else. you avoided any crash, good job! not honking has nothing to do with being polite for me, although not many people here use their horns, it has to do with the understanding that people do make mistakes while driving...even really stupid ones. would you yell at a buddy diving who made a really stupid mistake and almost caused you harm? people in cars act so childish because they don't have to be accountable for their actions...USUALLY. him blocking you in changed that real quickly, didn't it.
if it ain't broke, fix it till it is
what if the hokey pokey really IS what it's all about?

#8 scubahoney

scubahoney

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts

Posted 18 June 2004 - 09:44 PM

What you seem to me missing is that he followed me and pinned me in and was yelling at me...becuase I honked to let him know that I almost hit him...honking was an instant reaction not a response to him turning in front of me.

people in cars act so childish because they don't have to be accountable for their actions...USUALLY. him blocking you in changed that real quickly, didn't it

I hardly call honking at someone childish...maybe what he did... I am really offended that you think I was acting childish in this situation....but to each his own.
~Jacques Cousteau

#9 Lubold8431

Lubold8431

• PipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor. Do most of my diving in NE. I love wreck diving.
  • Logged Dives:Over 1500...

Posted 18 June 2004 - 09:48 PM

THis is in TX, right? Well, in that case, I would have taken the shotgun down from the rack behind the seats in the pickup, and let one round fly right thru the windshield. Let that prick think for a minute, and then shoot another at the front grill of his truck. I guarantee that he'll be moving back then!!! (OK. J/k)

As for the honking thing, you havent heard honking until you driven in Boston or New York. Up here in the NE, its a natural thing. When people do stupid things on the road, its our responsibility to let them know they are stupid. Honk. For a long time. Followed by shouting out the window, and a gesture of kindness in their general direction. If confrontation occurs, throw down. LOL...

Seriously, I hate people that drive stupid. I will and have let them know how I feel. Right up to the point of dragging their dumb ass out the car and beating them silly...
The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will.
--Vince Lombardi

#10 triggerfish

triggerfish

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 18 June 2004 - 09:52 PM

CHUCKIE LIVES!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

you can drive in chicago anytime, honey!!!!!

#11 wrinkles

wrinkles

• PipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts
  • Cert Level:OW

Posted 18 June 2004 - 09:56 PM

Why would you pull over if someone was following you?

Ana

#12 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 18 June 2004 - 09:56 PM

Would this happen in Costa Rica? Belgium? The Maldives?

Years ago I had a guy in a big Mercedes cut me off like that. I mouthed a few expletives deleted inside my car. He must have been a lip reader because he hit the brakes and stopped in front of me on busy Hawthorne Blvd (four lanes each way).

He walked over to my car, obviously pissed off. He demanded I roll down my window (which I did) and told me to get out of the car. He seemned to be patting what might have been a gun under his sports jacket. I thought the guy must have been bonkers or on drugs.

He wanted to fight and looked ready to drag me out of the car. I told him I don't settle things that way and asked him to explain what he was angry about. He said "the words you said." I asked him if he didn't feel he had abruptly pulled right in front of me and nearly caused an accident. He dismissed that. I finally apologized for the language (which he couldn't have actually heard) but felt he had nearly caused an accident.

Now whenever I drive my car in Los Angeles I carry two sidearms (357 and 45) plus have RPG's mounted under my grill to fire if need be (OK, so I'm just teasing about that part).

Doc

#13 scubahoney

scubahoney

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts

Posted 18 June 2004 - 09:58 PM

Lubold-next time I go for ice cream..you are going with me...don't make any plans for next sun night LOL

ana-I didn't pull over...I went to Braums and got in line, a few secs later he pulled up next to me...had I known he was following me I prob would have driven straight to the police station.
~Jacques Cousteau

#14 Lubold8431

Lubold8431

• PipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 18 June 2004 - 09:59 PM

CHUCKIE LIVES!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

you can drive in chicago anytime, honey!!!!!

Yes I do. Maybe I will drive out there to visit you!!! I think I can handle it...
(both the drive and you!!!)
The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will.
--Vince Lombardi

#15 Lubold8431

Lubold8431

• PipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 18 June 2004 - 10:00 PM

Lubold-next time I go for ice cream..you are going with me...don't make any plans for next sun night LOL

Oh cool. I got a date!!!! Now, I just have to get to TX!!!!!
--Vince Lombardi

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users