• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Why do all the crazy people come after me?!

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#31 scubahoney

scubahoney

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:20ish

Posted 19 June 2004 - 07:31 PM

canuckdiver-like the jacket they designed for TF?!
ana-Let me clarify...I didn't drive up next to him to scare him or anything...I honked and went around him...as in-avoided the accident and kept on going on my merry way...no gestures, no yelling, no intimidating stares, no nothing but a honk.

drbill-you can't even handle a red head-how are you gonna manage a gun?! :hugs:

Edited by scubahoney, 19 June 2004 - 07:32 PM.

The greatest resource of the ocean is not material but the boundless spring of inspiration and well-being we gain from her.
~Jacques Cousteau

#32 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 19 June 2004 - 08:18 PM

ScubaHoney- I gave up my guns a long time ago, all three of them. I'm a lover, not a fighter. The chances of my needing a gun out here on Catalina are pretty slim (unless I start hunting my food again).

Doc

#33 triggerfish

triggerfish

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,712 posts
  • Cert Level:goddess.
  • Logged Dives:never enough

Posted 19 June 2004 - 08:41 PM

drbill-you can't even handle a red head-how are you gonna manage a gun?! :fish:

:hugs:

#34 triggerfish

triggerfish

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,712 posts
  • Cert Level:goddess.
  • Logged Dives:never enough

Posted 19 June 2004 - 08:43 PM

Rule # 1 in Ark
Shoot first honk later :hugs:

B2B

mike, if everybody in arkansas were like you, we'd stop making fun of people who live in arkansas!! :fish:

#35 jacsac

jacsac

Getting started

• Pip
  • 26 posts
  • Cert Level:dive master
  • Logged Dives:1000+

Posted 19 June 2004 - 08:54 PM

That's why I drive around with a loaded speargun under my seat. I also can't tolerate stupidity on the road.

#36 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 20 June 2004 - 12:54 AM

TF- Guess you'll just have to ask when you see me "Doc, is that a gun in your pocket or are you just glad to see me?"

Doc

#37 idive2

idive2

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW NITROX
  • Logged Dives:140

Posted 20 June 2004 - 07:34 AM

I hardly call honking at someone childish...maybe what he did... I am really offended that you think I was acting childish in this situation....but to each his own.

I hear everyone down here in FL talk about the terrible driving of the
retirees down here, well after three years down here I can tell you it's
not the retirees it's the younger crowd that exhibits the most horseshit
inconsiderate driving I've ever seen. My guess is that perhaps you were
just a tad over the limit and this person pulling out was a cause for you to slow down which you did not appreciate. Only you know whether the horn was for you or for him. If I encounter driving that is so outrageous as to nearly cause death
or injury I will get a tag number and report vehicle but a horn after the fact rarely
gets results much different than the result you experienced. lots of jerks on the
roads, drive conservatively and you can reduce your encounters with them because rarely will you win the horn honking finger gesturing contests. It
does feel good at the time, but restraint is sometimes in order !

#38 Sophia

Sophia

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced and Rebreather
  • Logged Dives:100?

Posted 20 June 2004 - 07:48 AM

I generally don't mind being honked at. I take it as 'you got too close,' and move on. It is usually because I really was too close(temporary stupidity). If someone really leans on the horn, I assume the person is a psycho and adjust my speed, lane so I am not driving near that car.

#39 canuckdiver

canuckdiver

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 555 posts
  • Cert Level:Decompression procedures
  • Logged Dives:>120

Posted 20 June 2004 - 08:46 AM

I generally don't mind being honked at. I take it as 'you got too close,' and move on. It is usually because I really was too close(temporary stupidity). If someone really leans on the horn, I assume the person is a psycho and adjust my speed, lane so I am not driving near that car.

No Susan, I was only honking in ADMIRATION!! :unsure:
"what works, works" - shek exley

"the WW Approved 'Unofficial' guardian angel"

#40 bandit

bandit

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
  • Cert Level:OWSI
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 20 June 2004 - 09:32 AM

THis is in TX, right? Well, in that case, I would have taken the shotgun down from the rack behind the seats in the pickup, and let one round fly right thru the windshield.

That only happens in California. In Texas, we know everyone is armed, so shooting will only draw fire. Seriously, you really never hear of traffic shootings here. Now honking will get your a$$ whipped at times.
Beatings for the crew will continue until moral improves...

#41 bandit

bandit

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
  • Cert Level:OWSI

Posted 20 June 2004 - 09:35 AM

Scubahoney, the guy was obviously drunk, stoned, or crazy. He should have been asking for a date.
Beatings for the crew will continue until moral improves...

#42 mechanical31

mechanical31

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:40

Posted 20 June 2004 - 09:48 AM

SH you did the right thing. Hell if it had been me I would have been rolling around in the parking lot with the guy. Childish for a 36 year old...yeah...so. I may not be very big, but god forgot to instill fear in me and morons just make me lose my cool. Stupidity sucks.Don't get me wrong I'm a very laid-back kind of person, but sometimes war does solve things. Maybe if this guy had his melon bruised a few time it would modify his behavior or maybe just some electro shock,I.E. stun gun, therapy. I've seen how much the little voltage dance helps someones attitude.
I'mA riddle so strong, you can't break me.
Alice in Chains

#43 divecutie

divecutie

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 709 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:20

Posted 21 June 2004 - 09:11 AM

How did i miss this SH?
I rarely honk.. mostly if i do its by accident! I cant really bring myself to do it, even under the worst circumstances.. if someone honks at me, i usually laugh which usually pisses them off more! If someone pulls in front of me and I'm with one of my friends, almost always they will tell me to honk at the person, or go ahead and lean over and honk themselves cause they know i wont. Fortunately i know my friends and will quickly pull out my stun gun to get them under control... :(

Edited by divecutie, 21 June 2004 - 09:12 AM.

Why not seize the pleasure at once? How often is happiness destroyed by preparation, foolish preparation!
Jane Austen

#44 Marvel

Marvel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,057 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox

Posted 21 June 2004 - 10:00 AM

The time to honk is BEFORE the incident occurs, not after. Now, having said that, I have to admit that there are times that I have honked in reaction to a really stupid move but since living in FL for 13 years I've become accustomed to geriatrics pulling out in front of me or moving into my lane without looking. I'm far less apt to honk because they are just totally oblivious to their surroundings while driving & wouldn't get it. I just shrug it off & drive on.

My pet driving peeve is actually people not staying to the right unless passing on a highway & excessively slow highway entrances & exits. Then there are the people who will just stop in the middle of the road when they realized that they're in the wrong lane for their turn & tie up traffic rather than continuing on & turning around. I've seen many a near miss occur because of that sort of thing.

SH, as to the guy following you & confronting you, well MY cell phone would have been dialing 911 immediately. Glad you're OK though, Girlfrien'
Marvel

"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C. S. Lewis

Posted Image

#45 sapphire

sapphire

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts

Posted 21 June 2004 - 10:19 AM

In southern California, with all the traffic and road rage incidents, I rarely use my horn. I have tried to train my daughter not to get angry and use HER horn when people do stupid stunts (intentional or not). I agree with Marvel, the time to use it is ro prevent something from happening, and then just one quick beep of the horn...

Otherwise, I am with Kevin. I have been driving the freeways for so long... I just try to avoid any accidents and be mellow. Even though I HATE tail-gaters and people who cut you off... you can't let it get to you because it happens a million times a day here!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users