• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Build a Charity!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 TatonkaDive

TatonkaDive

Getting started

• Pip
  • 34 posts
  • Cert Level:Divemaster

Posted 10 December 2004 - 12:02 AM

Aloha y'all!

The first thread that I read after posting my 'newbie-ness', was the one on charities:
http://www.singlediv...opic=1661&st=30
I didn't want to hijack that thread, but it got me to thinking...

It is awesome that this group is considering giving to a charity! If only everyone was like this. Let me state up front that I am not soliciting money (although we could use it), but I'm asking for input. What is it that people on these boards would want in a charity? How do you determine who to give to, or how to give? What are your criteria? What would like to see a charity do, especially one dedicated to helping youth?

I just happen to be helping a non-profit move into its next phase of growth. It is already an established 501c-3 non-profit organization that uses action sports to educate, inspire and prepare youth to create a better future for themselves, their communities and the environment.

We don't really teach kids how to get into a sport (there are enough organizations, clinics and camps to do such things, although we'd be very happy to partner with them for any number of events), but in partnering with athletes and corporations, including both for-profit and non-profit entities, we create and promote unique events for today’s youth, inciting better athletes and better citizens. Youth will never be perfect in every way, but we hope to equip them with the tools to enable them to make better informed decisions throughout life.

We are currently starting with the surfing community, and we have held various types of events (a fundraiser for a cancer victim, and beautification project for a local skatepark, etc), all of which have been successful. But I am a Divemaster and a friend that I talked into helping out is a PADI Assistant Instructor. We both celebrated our recent graduation with MBAs from USC with a dive of the Blue Hole in Belize. So we are definitely interested in incorporating some diving aspects to this organization.

Thus far it's been run largely on the heartstrings, and although we have won a couple of grants before we really get out there asking for money I'd like to be able to ensure the most critical skeptics that we are really doing incredible work. So please post your thoughts!

Oh I would post the name of the organization but I'd like to get some 'unbiased' opinion for a bit. I could PM you the name if you are interested!

Thanks a bunch and stay wet!
Jeff (TatonkaDive)

Edited by TatonkaDive, 10 December 2004 - 12:04 AM.

Stay wet!
tatonkadive

#2 ScubaHawk

ScubaHawk

Midwest HH Planner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,265 posts
  • Cert Level:Dive Master
  • Logged Dives:1000+

Posted 10 December 2004 - 02:52 AM

Yep, you've been in Texas.

I'll throw in my 2 cents.

In a charity I look for something that is non-religous, not top heavy - meaning very little of the money is used for "expenses and payroll" and is something I believe should be supported. It's that simple.
Take an SD trip - See old friends you have never met before!
Every existing thing is born without reason, prolongs itself out of weakness, and dies by chance. - Jean-Paul Sartre
I feel the urge, the urge to submerge! -ScubaHawk - Raptor of the Deep !
WHO DAT!!!!

#3 jextract

jextract

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,210 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor, Divemaster, Nitrox, Rescue, Wreck, ...
  • Logged Dives:120ish

Posted 10 December 2004 - 11:57 AM

... We both celebrated our recent graduation with MBAs from USC ...

Sweet! Congrats ... I earned my MBA (with Beta Gamma Sigma honors) from USC also. Fight on, Trojans!

Great work on the charity. I give to various charities for various reasons, some personal (e.g. Vista del Mar, the orphanage I was adopted through) and others that I believe do valuable work (e.g. Star Parker's Urban CURE, Boys Republic). For any organization to get my dollars (and that isn't limited to charities, by the way):
1) it must hold the same values I do,
2) the vast majority of the money must actually go to satisfy the need rather than the overhead/administration,
3) and there must be a measurable positive impact of the work.

Additionally, you get one chance with me. I used to give to United Way, but after they had that scandal a few years back they will never get another dime of mine, even if/when they clean up their act.
"Because I accept the definition, does not mean I accept the defined." -- ScubaHawk
"Love is blind but lust likes lacy panties" -- SanDiegoCarol
"If you're gonna be dumb, you'd better be tough." -- Phillip Manor
"If I know the answer I'll tell you the answer, and if I don't I'll just respond cleverly." -- Donald Rumsfeld

#4 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 13 December 2004 - 06:48 AM

Great insight! SD is currently looking to sponsor up to 5 charities in 2005. Most will be diving related if possible but not all of them. Thanks for this great criteria!

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users