• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Senior Tech's Repair Process & Pricing

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#1 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,490 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 14 February 2005 - 06:33 PM

PROCESS:

I forgot to mention several things that you should be aware of when you do go to a local dive shop...a set of questions to interview them so to speak.

I summarized a number of factors in another thread replying to Yoal.

Click here for that discussion.

I will say that a number of steps that I personally follow in the cleaning, maintenance and repair of regulators that I work on exceeds what most technicians do either due to time constraints, equipment/tooling constraints or even knowledge constraints. And most technicians do not have machine shop capabilities.

So in my case I follow the steps below when working on any regulators that come into my repair facility:

1. A pre-disassembly sanitation soak and rinse in cip-quat which is an odorless, tasteless, sanitizing chemical used in the food industry that renders everything soaked in it inert and therefore harmless.

2. I then run the regs thru a warm fresh water rinse.

3. At this point I feel safe in doing a pre-disassembly test and diagnosis. I never do this before I do the sanitation rinse. (You'd be amazed and appalled at what you find in some second stages so much so that I don't care to elaborate beyond that.)

4. Next I carefully disassemble the regulator using proper fitting specialty tools for each individual regulator model, many of which have been designed and built by Peter Wolfinger or myself.

5. In some cases the regs need machine shop preparation and/or polishing and resurfacing certain portions of the regulator, but this is only done as required. Note: There is an additional charge for regulators that require a considerable amount of extra cleaning and preparation, such as those left flooded for extended periods of time or those with extensive salt crystallization in them. An indicator that extra work may be required is a filter that is green and nasty looking and any unit that has not been taken care of properly and/or neglected. (Please refer to the 'bag trick' for proper preventive field regulator care and maintenance.)

6. Next we treat the parts in an ultrasonic cleaner.

7. Then another fresh water rinse.

8. Then each part is blow dried.

9. The regulator parts are then lubricated with and only with, Cristo-Lube MCG-111.

10. After proper lubrication they are reassembled with all appropriate new parts using specialty tools to achieve the optimum tuning of the unit. Final tuning and testing is aided by using intermediate pressure and magnehelic gauges. At this point some regulators can be tuned to be easier breathing than average if the customer so desires.

Note: Be sure to include any consoles or submersible pressure gauges because at no extra charge, I have a signature procedure that I refer to as the 'super slick' treatment which uses proprietary custom designed tools, enabling me to thoroughly lubricate areas not normally accessible in the high pressure swivel. I inject Cristo-Lube MCG-111 deep into normally inaccessible areas, leaving the swivel lubed much more thoroughly than previously possible. The end result is that the swivel is now a lot slicker and smoother than brand new. This also extends the life span of your high pressure swivel o-rings. Plus its just fun to have something that performs so much better than new!

If all this sounds as if I'm getting a little too 'picky'...remember in life support equipment, 'picky' is good!

At this point I would send you your 'coddled and pampered' regulator back to you via UPS. Now remember after we've gone to ALL this effort that you refer to, and follow religiously the 'bag trick'.

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#2 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,490 posts

Posted 14 February 2005 - 06:34 PM

EXCEPTIONS:

There are only a handful of regulators that I do not work on and they are:

1. No Posidens of any vintage

2. No modular series Dacor such as Extreme, Extreme Plus, Enduro or any reg with a 'pancake' styled second stage. (The parts are no longer available for these.) These are not to be confused with the earlier 'Pacer' series regulators such as the 300 series or 900 950 960 first stages and anything that says Pacer on the second stage, as these regs were good then and with some techniques I've developed over the years can be turned into some REALLY nice regulars at no extra charge. And yes I know that the parts have been deleted from the factory but I have lots of them. 

3. And some isolated TSUA & Tabata short run, low end reg. (The parts are no longer available for these.) Please pm me for more information and include your telephone number in case I need to call you along with best time to reach you. Somethings are easier to handle that way.

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!

formerly...

#3 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,490 posts

Posted 14 February 2005 - 07:12 PM

PRICE:

Many of you have pm'd me asking if Senior Tech will repair regs for our members and if so how much will it cost and what do you need to do.

I've talked to him and he has agreed to repair our member's regulators and bcds if you want him too. :teeth:

Senior Tech is in the business of repairing regs for shops so in order for him to repair regs for individuals he has asked that SingleDivers.com be the intermediary so that he does not damage his relationship with the dive shops he works with all over the world.

So here is what we have worked out:

1. All regs and/or bcd's will be sent to Senior Tech:

ADDRESS TO BE SUPPLIED ASAP!!!

2. You may send them inbound via UPS or USPS etc. however they will be returned via UPS regular ground only as that is Senior Tech's preferred carrier.

3. The standard pricing is $20 per stage or $60 per regulator set up unless you have an AirII or AirII equivelent and then the price for the regulator set up is $66.

4. Shipping and handling is $20 for shipment in the US. Please contact me for shipping and handling outside of the Continental US. If sending 2 sets of regs, the second reg will cost $10 for shipping and handling. If sending 3 sets of regs, please contact me for the price.

5. Average turn around for a standard regulator repair is 2 weeks including shipping back to you. If for any reason that your regulator falls into a non-standard repair status, you will be contacted before any additional work is performed so that you can make a decision about your regs whether to have the additional work done and/or if you are ok with the additional time needed. Currently Sr. Tech is only doing non-warranty repair work. However the small amount you'll spend on parts combined with doing the bag trick...providing you bought quality regs to start with, yields an investment that will not only last you a lifetime but it will perform in the desired manner when you need it most.

Note: I can personally vouch for the 'extras' that he does to your regs for no extra charge. You can not beat the quality that he provides for a very reasonable price. I am thrilled that he has agreed to do repairs and maintenance for all our members! And this is one "insider's secret" that I am happy to share! :lmao:

formerly...

#4 finGrabber

finGrabber

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,276 posts
  • Board Status:thinkin' about diving
  • Cert Level:DM; TDI Adv Nitrox and Deco Procedures
  • Logged Dives:1200 ish

Posted 14 February 2005 - 07:40 PM

Hey WW,

I have a set of regs that needs to be serviced and will be sending them to you asap. I'm really excited to have Senior Tech work on my regs as he has a great reputation in Dallas and I know that the dive shops here send him regs that they cannot repair themselves.

Kim

ps. in Dallas, you want your regs sent to him because of the quality of work and the freebee's he provides! I can't wait to dive these regs after he's done with them!

#5 Dennis

Dennis

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 895 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Open Water II, & Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 15 February 2005 - 09:16 AM

One of the things I was concerned about when I took the regulator repair course, was that no sanitary precautions were used before disassembly and checkout. If I was to do this for other people, especially people I don't know, I would want to sanitize the regulators before I worked on them. Right now, I only work on my own regs.
DSSW,
Dennis
"Suppose you were an idiot ... And suppose you were a member of Congress ... But I repeat myself." --Mark Twain

#6 Senior Tech

Senior Tech

Getting started

• Pip
  • 27 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor Trainer & Master Repair Technician
  • Logged Dives:Tens of thousands starting in 1950

Posted 15 February 2005 - 09:49 AM

Hey WW,

I have a set of regs that needs to be serviced and will be sending them to you asap. I'm really excited to have Senior Tech work on my regs as he has a great reputation in Dallas and I know that the dive shops here send him regs that they cannot repair themselves.

Kim

ps. in Dallas, you want your regs sent to him because of the quality of work and the freebee's he provides! I can't wait to dive these regs after he's done with them!

Kim...I will be pleased to work on your regs and I promise to do the same 'classic car' or 'hot rod' as Kamala calls it treatment that I did on her regs; at no additional charge of course! I figure it takes an additional couple of hours to get it done just 'right' or more accurately the way I like it, but its worth it to me to have extremely satisfied customers.

I think Kamala posted my rates above and she has agreed to help me facilitate the process. I look forward to helping in anyway that I can.
"People ask how long I've been repairing regulators...that's easy...ever since there was only one brand and model commercially available." -JC

#7 Bubble2Bubble

Bubble2Bubble

Arkansas HH Planner

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • Board Status:Surface Interval Starting 08/2009
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver, Medic, Emergency First Responder, CPR/AED-Oxygen, Dry Suit, Nitrox.
  • Logged Dives:500+ Studing for my DM

Posted 15 February 2005 - 05:14 PM

To JC our Senior Tech
I would love to send you my Regs for service next time they need it.
You wouldnt beleive how hard it is to find an LDS in my area. I have
been getting used to sending them off to Who Knows Where and get
them worked on by who? . I'm glad to see we have
an in house service tech :P

Furthermore I hope to see you on some of our dive trips in the future.

B2B
Dive into Life and Live for Diving!
no trees were harmed while posting any of my messages,
however a significant number of electrons were inconvenienced.

Buy Lawn Mower and Chain Saw Parts at...
Amazon.com

#8 dustbowl diver

dustbowl diver

"Charlie"

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,028 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:139

Posted 25 March 2005 - 11:32 AM

Hey WW,

If I bring my regs to the Dallas Happy Hour, can I get them sent off for service??

DBD
"Yesterday's gone, tomorrow never knows, today will never be the same again!"-Jibe

#9 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,490 posts

Posted 27 March 2005 - 11:45 PM

Hey WW,

If I bring my regs to the Dallas Happy Hour, can I get them sent off for service??

DBD

Absolutely DBD! Sr Tech is the repair tech's tech! But now he is our exclusive repair technician and we are thrilled! :welcome:

Bring your regs to the Dallas HH and he'll have them done in about 3-4 days. He will mail them back to you. I'll give you a repair tag/reciept for them at the Happy Hour.

Fingrabber recently had him service her regs...anyone else? I now use him EXCLUSIVELY!

He has given so much valuable information to our readers and his prices are very reasonable regardless of where you live in the country or the world! Yes he repairs regs for people ALL over the world.

Please consider giving back to those that give to us! Thank you, Kamala

p.s. you can easily mail him or myself your regs and we'll get them repaired and returned to you within a very short period of time! -ww

formerly...

#10 Cold_H2O

Cold_H2O

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,498 posts
  • Logged Dives:lost count but back to keeping a log.

Posted 27 March 2005 - 11:58 PM

I dive a poseidon. Love the reg :welcome: but Senior Tech doesn't do them. :dltears:
But, If I ever change... I know where to send em and who I want working on them.
Well Behave Women Rarely Make History ~ Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Formerly known as gis_gal and name tattoo'd for a small bribe!

#11 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,490 posts

Posted 13 April 2005 - 06:10 PM

Just got FinGrabbers and DustBowl Diver's regs back...and I'm told that they perform better than new. Fingrabber said her regs LOOKED brand new and she had never seen them look that good.

Thank you both for supporting Senior Tech...I know you'll love your 'new' regs!!! -ww

formerly...

#12 finGrabber

finGrabber

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,276 posts

Posted 13 April 2005 - 07:57 PM

After seeing the reworked regs, I can't wait to dive them!

My primary and octo had quite a few scratches and what not on them...they look brand new, out of the box

I can't wait to dive these in Saba and will give a full report when I get back...I suspect I'll have a glowing report, though, based on what he told me he did to these

Kim

#13 dustbowl diver

dustbowl diver

"Charlie"

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,028 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:139

Posted 13 April 2005 - 09:13 PM

fingrabber,

If I may ask, what type/brand do you use???

DBD
"Yesterday's gone, tomorrow never knows, today will never be the same again!"-Jibe

#14 finGrabber

finGrabber

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,276 posts

Posted 14 April 2005 - 08:51 AM

DBD,

I sent you a pm

fG

#15 Ariesno1

Ariesno1

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:600

Posted 28 April 2005 - 05:47 AM

I have ScubaPro regs and it’s hard to find someone to work on them. I did find someone local to service my regs before I went on the Saba trip. It was a waste of money, because my 1st stage broke down.

fingrabber showed me her regs that were just serviced by Senior Tech. Wow, they look like new.

I am very excited to have my regs fixed by Senior Tech since he is someone with so much experience especially with ScubaPro regs. I am very much looking forward to dive with my “new regs”.

Doris

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users