• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

You sound funny!

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 raizyr

raizyr

Getting started

• Pip
  • 27 posts
  • Cert Level:none yet, open water planned this summer

Posted 04 May 2004 - 10:46 AM

Okay, one of the intro posts evolved into a discussion of the syrupy sweet southern drawl and it got me thinking.

One my roommates hates accents, even though his girlfriend is a bit southern at times. I on the other hand love accents, most all of them be it southern, british, german, russian, whatever.

I dont know what it is exactly, I just like to hear people with accents speak. I think my favorite is probably Austrailian accents, though Czech accents are pretty neat too (in women at least).

What does everyone here feel about people who "sound funny"? :bye:

#2 Diverbrian

Diverbrian

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI DiveCon/IANTD Normoxic Trimix.....
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 04 May 2004 - 10:48 AM

Sounds funny,

Maybe they are trimix divers! :bye:

Seriously, I always liked the British and Australian accents myself. I still say "aboot" myself without realizing it and "blame" that on my close proximity to another country.

Edited by Diverbrian, 04 May 2004 - 10:50 AM.

A person should be judged in this life not by the mistakes that they make nor by the number of them. Rather they are to be judged by their recovery from them.

#3 mischievous

mischievous

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,304 posts
  • Cert Level:0
  • Logged Dives:0

Posted 04 May 2004 - 10:55 AM

i don't like asian accents, sorry just biased against them. i tried to walk out of the theatre during THE TRANSPORTER because they made that gorgeous chick struggle with english instead of letting her say things in madrian and subtitle it. took away from her easy charm. i have enjoyed someone rumbling japanese musings in my ear with a deep bass murmur <hmmm...nice...oops, snapping out of it!>, but overall the only accents that i prefer are from romance languages, the stereotypical southern propagated by rich plantation owners, and anything with a wild burr like irish or scottish. it just needs to sound natural, not forced, to be sexy. for example, i know i don't sound sexy when i'm speaking in madrian because i don't sound at ease. madonna's english accent...toss it in the gutter, it sounds so fake.

#4 jextract

jextract

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,210 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor, Divemaster, Nitrox, Rescue, Wreck, ...
  • Logged Dives:120ish

Posted 04 May 2004 - 11:13 AM

As long as it's genuine, I think it can be charming. Well, except for that New Yorker/New England one. Yikes ... makes me want to jam ice picks in my ears!
"Because I accept the definition, does not mean I accept the defined." -- ScubaHawk
"Love is blind but lust likes lacy panties" -- SanDiegoCarol
"If you're gonna be dumb, you'd better be tough." -- Phillip Manor
"If I know the answer I'll tell you the answer, and if I don't I'll just respond cleverly." -- Donald Rumsfeld

#5 Marvel

Marvel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,057 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox

Posted 04 May 2004 - 11:15 AM

I adore hearing mosts accents with the exception of a few- one regional American accent in particular. I must confess to having a terrible weakness for Swedish accents!! :anna:
Marvel

"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C. S. Lewis

Posted Image

#6 Diverbrian

Diverbrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI DiveCon/IANTD Normoxic Trimix.....

Posted 04 May 2004 - 11:19 AM

As long as it's genuine, I think it can be charming. Well, except for that New Yorker/New England one. Yikes ... makes me want to jam ice picks in my ears!

Hey, that NE accent that I had from being stationed in Groton, CT at the time got me medical info without BS up here. The nurse must have thought that I was "making her an offer that she couldn't refuse."

I hate it when the ICU people try to sugarcoat information and my patience was thin. I didn't even realize that up here that sounded like someone from the syndicate threatening to leave her a present next to her until all the sudden I heard medical terms instead of "Well, no guarantees..., but..., ".
A person should be judged in this life not by the mistakes that they make nor by the number of them. Rather they are to be judged by their recovery from them.

#7 Diverlady

Diverlady

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 856 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW w/ specialties & drysuit user
  • Logged Dives:175 - as of Sep 18, 2004

Posted 04 May 2004 - 11:36 AM

I still say "aboot" myself without realizing it and "blame" that on my close proximity to another country.

Hey now!! I don't say 'aboot'!! :bye: That must be an east coast thing! (Blame the Newfies!!)

I sometimes can't hear the British accent since both my parents have it and I guess I'm just used to it.

Diverlady
FAILURE IS NOT AN OPTION!! It comes bundled with the software.

What do you mean "it doesn't come in PINK"?!?!

#8 Oral

Oral

Getting started

• Pip
  • 31 posts
  • Cert Level:Dive Master - Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:650 plus

Posted 04 May 2004 - 12:12 PM

I find a Cajun, better know as "Coon-ass" accent accompanied by a female is totally attention getting.

Oral
"Jets and Sex and Rock and Roll"

#9 chinacat46

chinacat46

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,147 posts
  • Cert Level:OWSI
  • Logged Dives:1527(8 in fresh water)

Posted 04 May 2004 - 01:56 PM

Having spent a lot of time in NZ and Oz I'm kinda partial to their accents and some of their expressions. They way they say "Good on you" I thought they were telling me Good Onion. I finally asked somebody what Good Onion meant and they all just laughed at me. Brit accents are cool to but I'll take a Kiwi accent anytime.

- Chuck

#10 jeadiver

jeadiver

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 60 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:300+

Posted 05 May 2004 - 07:02 AM

I didn't know the South had an accent! Except for foriegners, the only accents I ever heard were from the Jersey. We were taught to stay away from those folks, they were supposed to have something bad in those carpet bags they carried.

I do like an Irish lilt and most Romance language accents. Of course form a pretty lady, even American English can be captivating.

#11 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 05 May 2004 - 07:09 AM

I didn't know the South had an accent!

It doesn't. There are many different accents in the south. Georgia is different from Carolina, which is different from Virginia, which is different from...........
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#12 jextract

jextract

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 05 May 2004 - 10:43 AM

I didn't know the South had an accent!

It doesn't. There are many different accents in the south. Georgia is different from Carolina, which is different from Virginia, which is different from...........

True. I've also noticed that there are many, many different accents within Florida alone.
"Because I accept the definition, does not mean I accept the defined." -- ScubaHawk
"If I know the answer I'll tell you the answer, and if I don't I'll just respond cleverly." -- Donald Rumsfeld

#13 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,592 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 05 May 2004 - 03:23 PM

True. I've also noticed that there are many, many different accents within Florida alone.

Oh my gawd...like California has like...so many more...you know...like accents and all!!!

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#14 jextract

jextract

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 05 May 2004 - 03:55 PM

Hmmmm.... like, I'm SOOOO busted, you know?

#15 wrinkles

wrinkles

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts
  • Cert Level:OW

Posted 06 May 2004 - 04:44 PM

True.  I've also noticed that there are many, many different accents within Florida alone.

Oh my gawd...like California has like...so many more...you know...like accents and all!!!

Like, that is totally like, unfair of you to like, group all of us like, together. :thankyou:

Ana

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users