• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Dive Computer

• Please log in to reply
100 replies to this topic

#1 Hexkraut

Hexkraut

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 97 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced
  • Logged Dives:1000

Posted 13 July 2006 - 09:27 AM

Since I'll be certified soon, my first gear I'll probably buy is a Dive computer. Here is my question from all you experienced guys and gals. I would like a wrist computer and have checked out some such as the expensive Atomic, Aeris Atmos Elite Wrist and found this one on our site by searching Suunto Vytec. Now what should I look for in a computer? A wireless pressure sensor would be nice and I'd like to be able to download data to my laptop later, but is not a must. Price range should be around $500 including software. Thanks for your input and advice. :cool2:

#2 Latitude Adjustment

Latitude Adjustment

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,658 posts
  • Cert Level:EanX
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 13 July 2006 - 09:32 AM

You want a Nitrox computer because sooner or later you will being using nitrox. My feelings on the hoseless computers with the pressure transmitter is that it's another battery to fail.
I, Latitude Adjustment (insert log in name), do hereby swear, (politely), that I shall not hold SingleDivers, (SD), nor any SD poster, (real or imagined), liable, nor shall I seek legal restitution, (real or imagined), for any perceived, (real or imagined), offenses I may incur, (or Incurrrrrrrrrr on talk like a pirate day), that may or may not be posted on this or any SCUBA related board, (real or imagined), by anyone, (real or imagined), anywhere, (real or imagined). Further, I void any right to privacy, (real or imagined), as it may, or may not relate to any posting, (real or imagined), about me, to me, for me, because of me, all about me, my dog, my cat, my bird, my monkey, my family, (real or imagined), my friends, (real or imagined), or my world, (real or imagined).

By all that is wet, I do hereby swear, (politely), and attest, upon pain of never diving again, (real or imagined), that I understand and affirm, that I agree to the above.

_________________________________________(log in name signature)
Signed and Dated

#3 Hexkraut

Hexkraut

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 13 July 2006 - 09:57 AM

Seems to me the D6 adds a full compass. Is is a good usefull feature in electronic form? However by comparing the D6 to the Vytec the D6 has no user replaceable battery? What is up with that do I need to send it in to Suunto to replace, seems like a inconvenience.

Edited by Hexkraut, 13 July 2006 - 10:04 AM.

#4 ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts
  • Cert Level:Course Director; CCR Instructor
  • Logged Dives:2000+

Posted 13 July 2006 - 10:08 AM

I would stay away from buying a computer until you have sufficient experience in using tables for dive planning or unless you buy two of the same computer in order to have one for a backup. I still think you should wait on it until after acquiring sufficient experience though.
"The most important thing is not to stop questioning." Albert Einstein

"For the diligent diver, closed circuit rebreathers are actually safer than open circuit scuba." Tom Mount

#5 Geek

Geek

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 387 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue, Adv. Nitrox/Deco Procedures
  • Logged Dives:130+

Posted 13 July 2006 - 10:14 AM

Since I'll be certified soon, my first gear I'll probably buy is a Dive computer. Here is my question from all you experienced guys and gals. I would like a wrist computer and have checked out some such as the expensive Atomic, Aeris Atmos Elite Wrist and found this one on our site by searching Suunto Vytec. Now what should I look for in a computer? A wireless pressure sensor would be nice and I'd like to be able to download data to my laptop later, but is not a must. Price range should be around $500 including software. Thanks for your input and advice. :cool2:

The technology in computers changes pretty rapidly, and you do not need an expensive model at the level of diving you are likely to be doing in the near term. There are a few models on the market that are air only which I would ignore, but an inexpensive nitrox computer would be a good choice. If you want a wrist mount, you will want a separate pressure gauge, not a transmitter type computer, so you'll still have the hose. The transmitters don't always work and add to the expense.

You may outgrow a computer such as I am suggesting, but you are more likely to replace it because the technology has changed than because you are missing functions you need. There are lots of models in the $250 price range that meet these criteria. If you are prepared to spend more, don't. You would be better off spending the extra money on better regulators or some other piece of gear.

Edited by Geek, 13 July 2006 - 10:15 AM.

#6 Hexkraut

Hexkraut

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 13 July 2006 - 10:23 AM

here is my take from my dive shop: Every diver should own a dive computer. They are all a little different and have some complex capabilities. Dive computers provide safety because you know exactly how much time you have left to dive. They help you get the most out of your dive because you can dive longer than if you had to rely on tables or the PADI dive wheel.

#7 JackBSwift

JackBSwift

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 92 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, EANx
  • Logged Dives:60

Posted 13 July 2006 - 10:46 AM

I just bought my back-up computer, but have been diving with an Aeris Versa Pro. I have found the Versa Pro totally sufficient for all of the diving I am doing since it has Nitrox capabilities.

My backup is now a Suunto D9 air integrated watch computer. I paid almost 3 times what I paid for the Aeris. what does it really get me? I havent quite figured that one out yet, except for the possibility of eliminating my console altogether (the D9 has a compass as well). I am still in the testing and calibrating mode of my D9 vs. Versa Pro

It is my personal opinion that any beginning diver should stick with an average Nitrox capable dive computer. That computer should be just fine for all of the diving a beginner will do. If the desire is to get a more expensive watch computer (or backup), then it can be done at your convenience. Or, if you ever upgrade to tech diving, then you can make the move to a new computer.

There is no need to waste a lot of money on your first dive computer.
"Love What You Do.....Do What You Love."

#8 Scubatooth

Scubatooth

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts
  • Board Status:Omnes Qui Errant Non Pereunt!
  • Cert Level:Rec: DM -- Tec: Ext Range
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 13 July 2006 - 11:24 AM

here is my take from my dive shop: Every diver should own a dive computer. They are all a little different and have some complex capabilities. Dive computers provide safety because you know exactly how much time you have left to dive. They help you get the most out of your dive because you can dive longer than if you had to rely on tables or the PADI dive wheel.

The dive shops reasoning behind that is to sell a new diver as much as they can before they learn to much and look elsewhere for gear.

my personal take on computers is that you should have enough experince and be able to run the tables(or wheel) in your head or be able to run your profile and pressure groups and Residual times in water(ie on the hangline) and know prior to exit. When you get to that point then think about a dive computer.

personally i run a dive computer but that doesnt mean i checked my brain and the gate and jumped. normally i carry all of my tables(air, 36,32, but need to cut ones for 40, and 30) on a ring and tuck it into my hip on my bc, and then when im hanging at 10 or 20 feet (depending if its a quarry or other) i do the math. in North Carolina i didnt do that because i had enough to keep track of with my camera rig and that i was running dual computers on the trip because i was trying out a new cochran 20H.

your first dive computer your born with, a external dive comuter is the one you buy, in my case i have cochran gemini as a back up to my brain.

FWIW

Tooth

A Novus Dies Has Adveho.... Occupo Dies

Where in the World is Tooth? ... Catch Me It You Can!

Traveling the World, Diving, and Photography, on my days off from saving lives as a Paramedic

#9 Diverbrian

Diverbrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI DiveCon/IANTD Normoxic Trimix.....
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 13 July 2006 - 11:41 AM

I am in concurrence with most of the group here. I dive a computer as well, but do most of my dive planning with other tools and my bailout dive plans are on a slate (much like a set of tables). If you can't guess out what the computer is telling you before you look at it, you should wait and dive tables for while until you get start running out of bottom time based on NDL's instead of your gas management. Spend the money on a better reg or back plate and wing :cool2: .

If you are really in a mood to use one, get a simple nitrox model with the bells and whistles. Something a Suunto Vyper would be perfect for a first computer.

Still, your brain is the best dive computer and the technology is second.
A person should be judged in this life not by the mistakes that they make nor by the number of them. Rather they are to be judged by their recovery from them.

#10 Guest_TexasStarfish_*

Guest_TexasStarfish_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 July 2006 - 12:50 PM

A lot of good points on the thread.

Another addition is if you go with a Nitrox compatable computer... which I highly recommend... you'll be diving on the stuff eventually.... See what % O2 it resets to after each dive or if it doesn't reset at all.

I can speak from experience that it is a pain to reset it each time... and if you forget, you are sitting out the rest of the day. :twist:

Personally, I like something with big numbers and I wasn't much into wrist computers until this past trip. I demoed the Cochran as well. I suggest something simple and inexpensive to start with and keep the pressure gauge on the hose. You can also get the compass and gauge together and its a lot cheaper than integrating it into the computer.

:cool2:

#11 Capn Jack

Capn Jack

• Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts
  • Board Status:Working to fund the next trip
  • Cert Level:YMCA in 65, dove till 79, returned in 2002... now will work for air and/or beer as a DM
  • Logged Dives:not enough

Posted 13 July 2006 - 12:53 PM

I am in concurrence with most of the group here. I dive a computer as well, but do most of my dive planning with other tools and my bailout dive plans are on a slate (much like a set of tables). If you can't guess out what the computer is telling you before you look at it, you should wait and dive tables for while until you get start running out of bottom time based on NDL's instead of your gas management. Spend the money on a better reg or back plate and wing :cool2: .

If you are really in a mood to use one, get a simple nitrox model with the bells and whistles. Something a Suunto Vyper would be perfect for a first computer.

Still, your brain is the best dive computer and the technology is second.

Totally agree.

In other good news, because of the phenomena of divers buying a computer and then moving on to what they really needed, you can probably find folks on the board willing to part with their first computer for a reasonable price.

Before you buy though, I really strongly urge you to dive a few times on tables to make sure you understand what's going on. You won't miss too many dives driving yourself on tables, you're very likely to find you are supply limited as a new diver rather than hitting the NDL on your table.
No aquarium, no tank in a marine land, however spacious it may be, can begin to duplicate the conditions of the sea. And no dolphin who inhabits one of those aquariums or one of those marine lands can be considered normal.
Jacques Yves Cousteau

#12 Geek

Geek

• PipPipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 13 July 2006 - 01:22 PM

Yes they are all a little different, but skip the complex capabilities. You do not know how much time you have left whether you have a computer or not. Your air consumption changes depending on how hard you are working, whether you get excited by something, depth, etc. The computer can make a guess at the time you have left. Diving a computer can permit a slightly longer dive on multi-level dives because it can take into account the varying levels. On a square profile to one depth, it shouldn't make a significant difference.

To summarize:

You say you want wrist mount and perhaps the transmitter type.

The folks here advise:

Do a few more dives on tables, whether you are wearing a computer or not.
Skip the transmitter
Get a nitrox capable computer
Do not overspend
If your eyesight is limited, pay attention to the display size.

If you need to compare prices, check out LeisurePro. Be prepared to spend a little more at the LDS, as service and convenience are worth something, but don't get gouged.

#13 Hexkraut

Hexkraut

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 13 July 2006 - 01:29 PM

THanks all. I think a Suunto Viper would serve me just fine for recreational diving. what are your opinions?

#14 Hexkraut

Hexkraut

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 13 July 2006 - 01:31 PM

And yes I agree I will learn and use the manual tables for the first few dives anyway. As one stated correctly your brain is your best computer.

#15 Geek

Geek

• PipPipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 13 July 2006 - 01:44 PM

THanks all. I think a Suunto Viper would serve me just fine for recreational diving. what are your opinions?

You seem to be looking at the Suunto line, so I assume that your LDS carries it. Check out the Gekko. It has the features we are talking about for $100 less. Use the extra $100 on your regulators when you buy those.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users