• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Not Fade Away

• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

#16 annasea

annasea

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 24 July 2006 - 11:48 AM

<snip> However, with surface water temps as high as 78 degrees I'm thinking of returning it to active duty just for the fun of it! However bottom temps have been as low as 50 F and those weren't on my really deep dives so I may have to rethink it.

By bottom temps, I'm hoping you don't mean around 60 ft? :unsure:

<snip> Too bad I'm "too much man" for her.

Yeah, that's the reason why... :D

#17 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 24 July 2006 - 01:42 PM

Annasea, it's cold where you are. That's why I suggested a drysuit. You wouldn't have to worry about the colder temps nearly as much.

What thickness wetsuit are you getting custom cut? And at what shop?

#18 annasea

annasea

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 24 July 2006 - 02:02 PM

Annasea, it's cold where you are. That's why I suggested a drysuit. You wouldn't have to worry about the colder temps nearly as much.

What thickness wetsuit are you getting custom cut? And at what shop?

Ah, Perrone, you must have forgotten... I'm the heathen who has no real interest in diving local, cold waters. :D

Here's my plan: I'm getting a suit based on a temp range of 65 F to 85 F. I figure this will cover me for my September trip to Catalina and any trip back to Florida. (hint, hint)

According to Gregg's computer, the temps were 66 F and 67 F that day we dived Morrison. I remember your temps as being slightly different though. Do you remember what readings you were getting? Since Catalina *should* be mid 60s in September, I'm reckoning if I go with a thickness similiar to what I was wearing at Morrison, I should be OK.

I'm getting a 5mm full wetsuit (front zip) with a 7mm hooded, step-in tunic. It seems none of the big manufacturers make custom wetsuits anymore, but fortunately, I found a local manufacturer that is allowing me to deal with them directly as opposed to ordering the same suit through a LDS. (Not only do I save over $200 on my suit, but I also save 13% tax!)

BTW, I visited the shop that Kim recommended, and sadly, the stock just wasn't there. I tried on a Pinnacle suit and the fit was atrocious! (Ask Eric/6Gill. He was witness to that fashion disaster. :unsure:)

#19 ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts
  • Cert Level:Course Director; CCR Instructor
  • Logged Dives:2000+

Posted 24 July 2006 - 02:22 PM

If Catalina means Catlina Island off of California, when I dove in that neighborhood years ago, it was 66 at the surface in August (which they said was record breaking warm), and 55 on the bottom. These days, no way would I go wet in those conditions. :unsure:
"The most important thing is not to stop questioning." Albert Einstein

"For the diligent diver, closed circuit rebreathers are actually safer than open circuit scuba." Tom Mount

#20 annasea

annasea

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 24 July 2006 - 02:26 PM

If Catalina means Catlina Island off of California, when I dove in that neighborhood years ago, it was 66 at the surface in August (which they said was record breaking warm), and 55 on the bottom. These days, no way would I go wet in those conditions. :unsure:

LOL! Hell, if I lived where YOU live, Howard, neither would I! :D (And, yes, it is THAT Catalina. Wish me luck. :D)

#21 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 24 July 2006 - 03:00 PM

Annasea,

Yes I remembered you told me you were not going to dive locally. Please bear in mind that many divers in this area are diving dry in 70 degree water.

Spring fed systems get WARMER as you go deeper (usually), the ocean does not. You'll be lucky to have 60 degrees at 60-70ft, I'm betting. But with 12mm on the core, you should be fine. You're going to be carrying a ton of lead though.

Have you given any thought to your weigting system or BC?

(As an aside, I did an intro session for Gregg's daughter last night on doubles. Her first doubles dives ever!)

#22 nextariel

nextariel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,531 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:350+

Posted 24 July 2006 - 04:33 PM

I did not own a wetsuit until July of 2003. I was in West Palm Beach for the week and the water temp went from low 80's to 65!!! They had an upswell, and well I bought a wetsuit that night. I had been looking for years but could never find one to fit. Mine is black with bright yellow accents - not an expensive one. I've worn it on most dives since that time, so I would say around 100. I also put it in the washing machine on gentle cycle after every trip, be it a weekend or a week long. I don't think it has faded at all. I'll be happy to share the manufacturer, as I know you would be able to get. With a vest it was OK in Ginnie, but in Crystal River due to the topside temp I was cold.
Laugh at yourself first, before anyone else can. --Elsa Maxwell, September 28, 1958

#23 Guest_Sea Urchin_*

Guest_Sea Urchin_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 July 2006 - 10:09 PM

Caetlonn,

My wetsuit is only 1 mm and it is all black. After 5 years and many trips...it still look spanking new. No fading -- nada. I'm very picky and do take time to rinse it out after each dive (all my roomates can vouch for the time I spend in the bathroom to rinse gear). This remove the icky smell and you won't mind putting it on again the next day. Keeping your wetsuit out of the sun also help with the fading issue.

I think Jaime is right...pick whatever color you like. I've seen some custom made patterns that are pretty awesome but I like black when it comes to diving. You can still match your mask and fin to your BC for accent color. I have three sets of coordinating masks and fins in red, neon-yellow, and purple. At the rate I'm going, I think the neoprene will collapse or get crush before it'll fade. Some of my friends don't pack their wetsuits well and stuff it in with a lot of heavy gear and their wetsuits are never the same.

Getting the right fit (especially at the neck, wrists, and ankles) is more important than the color.

Love ya,
Que :usflag:

Edited by Sea Urchin, 24 July 2006 - 10:11 PM.

#24 6Gill

6Gill

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts
  • Logged Dives:100+

Posted 24 July 2006 - 10:38 PM

The two biggest things that accelerate fading and break down of the suit that I've seen is sun and chlorine.

#25 ev780

ev780

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 08:14 PM

There is an old Harley saying.....Your bike can be clean or ridden but not both.

To paraphrase....Your wetsuit can be bright or "diven" (is that a word?) but not both. Wear the faded colors as a badge of honor that your wetsuit has seen some action.

Fred
"I'd rather die while I am living, than live when I'm dead" Jimmy Buffett and the Coral Reefers

#26 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 25 July 2006 - 09:50 PM

If Catalina means Catlina Island off of California, when I dove in that neighborhood years ago, it was 66 at the surface in August (which they said was record breaking warm), and 55 on the bottom. These days, no way would I go wet in those conditions. :lmao:

66 record breaking warm in August? Someone was pulling your leg. Heck, we've had surface temperatures as high as 78 the past two weeks and it is still July. Saw 81 during one of the El Ninos. Temps at depth (100-160 ft) have been as cold as 50 F. I dive here wet year-round, even when the surface temp is in the 50's.

As I e-mailed you Caetllonn, I've had the colors on my wetsuits last for years despite 250-350 dives a year in the direct sun. Just keep your wet suit out of chlorinated water.

#27 tonyinasia

tonyinasia

Getting started

• Pip
  • 39 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced Open Water
  • Logged Dives:212

Posted 25 July 2006 - 10:26 PM

I tend to view a new wet suit like a brand new pair of blue jeans - they look real nice, but you really don't want to wear them until they are 'broken in'. When I was a newbie, I hated looking like a newbie. I took my first wet suit and tossed it into the dryer (no heat) with a couple of sneakers and old pair of coveralls. The sneakers and metal zipper on the coveralls caused just enough abrasion that the wet suit looked used. Did not feel like such a newbie anymore......

A bit of wear and color fade is a good thing - it means your gear is spending time on your body rather than hanging in the closet. Consider wear and tear a badge of honor.

If you can get a wet suit stitched, add the color sectons in irregular patterns - like an Andy Warhol painting. Black and purple is good, but throw in one piece of an additional color - just to keep everybody guessing. Different is good. Like Flo-Jo's one legged track suit at the 1988 Olympics - it was different, and it kept everybody guessing. Plus, it was pretty darn cool...............

You should not cut the leg off your wet suit however. That would just look funny.

#28 annasea

annasea

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 10:33 PM

I tend to view a new wet suit like a brand new pair of blue jeans - they look real nice, but you really don't want to wear them until they are 'broken in'. When I was a newbie, I hated looking like a newbie. I took my first wet suit and tossed it into the dryer (no heat) with a couple of sneakers and old pair of coveralls. The sneakers and metal zipper on the coveralls caused just enough abrasion that the wet suit looked used. Did not feel like such a newbie anymore......

A bit of wear and color fade is a good thing - it means your gear is spending time on your body rather than hanging in the closet. Consider wear and tear a badge of honor.

If you can get a wet suit stitched, add the color sectons in irregular patterns - like an Andy Warhol painting. Black and purple is good, but throw in one piece of an additional color - just to keep everybody guessing. Different is good. Like Flo-Jo's one legged track suit at the 1988 Olympics - it was different, and it kept everybody guessing. Plus, it was pretty darn cool...............

You should not cut the leg off your wet suit however. That would just look funny.

Good advice, tonyinasia! I've pretty much decided to go with the purple suit and black accents.

:lmao: to SD, BTW! Feel free to post an intro HERE for a proper SD welcome! :lmao:

#29 ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts
  • Cert Level:Course Director; CCR Instructor
  • Logged Dives:2000+

Posted 25 July 2006 - 10:50 PM

66 record breaking warm in August? Someone was pulling your leg. Heck, we've had surface temperatures as high as 78 the past two weeks and it is still July. Saw 81 during one of the El Ninos. Temps at depth (100-160 ft) have been as cold as 50 F.

I don't know if this would matter much: I actually went diving off of Ana Capa. Are the temps much different there?
"The most important thing is not to stop questioning." Albert Einstein

"For the diligent diver, closed circuit rebreathers are actually safer than open circuit scuba." Tom Mount

#30 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 26 July 2006 - 12:19 AM

I don't know if this would matter much: I actually went diving off of Ana Capa. Are the temps much different there?

Yes, the northern Channel Islands are definitely colder than Catalina which is the warmest of the 8 islands in the group. Anacapa is the warmest of the northern islands.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users