• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Not Fade Away

• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

#31 drbill

drbill

I spend too much time on line

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 26 July 2006 - 12:21 AM

<snip> However, with surface water temps as high as 78 degrees I'm thinking of returning it to active duty just for the fun of it! However bottom temps have been as low as 50 F and those weren't on my really deep dives so I may have to rethink it.

By bottom temps, I'm hoping you don't mean around 60 ft? :unsure:

<snip> Too bad I'm "too much man" for her.

Yeah, that's the reason why... :P

No, more like 125 to 180 feet... you won't be going that deep!

Isn't that what you told me, my dear?

Edited by drbill, 26 July 2006 - 12:21 AM.

#32 annasea

annasea

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 26 July 2006 - 04:49 PM

<snip>

Have you given any thought to your weigting system or BC?

(As an aside, I did an intro session for Gregg's daughter last night on doubles. Her first doubles dives ever!)

Well, since I'm a fusspot with limited funds, a BC (and reg for that matter) aren't on the horizon anytime soon. Neither are fins. My plan is to rent a variety of equipment while in Catalina so I have a better idea of what is comfortable and what my needs are. I'll be sure to forward my report on Jet fins to you! :lmao:

Regarding weights, I thought I'd just rent a weight belt wherever I go.

(Good for you! And Gregg's daughter! Where did you go for the dives?)

#33 BeachBunny

BeachBunny

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts
  • Cert Level:Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:Not enough but I am working on it!

Posted 26 July 2006 - 05:33 PM

Renting a BC is a great idea IMHO if you can try a variety of 'em. I bought a Zeagle Zena after I finished my OW cert and while it is sooooo comfortable and can be customized (big bust, little bust, big shoulders, tiny shoulders, you get the idea) I have issues emptying all the air out and have floated past a few safety stops. Not generally a good idea but fortunately they were drift dives so I had been coming up slowly anyway.

As far as fins go I think it is also a great idea if you get to try the ones you want. I love my split fins but I wonder if maybe I would have been happier with something else. Never satisfied I suppose!!!

If I could only choose one item to buy it would be my wetsuit, there is nothing better than a great fitting suit and if it is stylish all the better!
"In order to be irreplaceable one must always be different" CoCo Chanel

beachbunny@singledivers.com

"Be the change you wish to see in the world"
Ghandi

#34 BeachBunny

BeachBunny

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts
  • Cert Level:Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:Not enough but I am working on it!

Posted 26 July 2006 - 05:38 PM

I did not own a wetsuit until July of 2003. I was in West Palm Beach for the week and the water temp went from low 80's to 65!!! They had an upswell, and well I bought a wetsuit that night. I had been looking for years but could never find one to fit. Mine is black with bright yellow accents - not an expensive one. I've worn it on most dives since that time, so I would say around 100. I also put it in the washing machine on gentle cycle after every trip, be it a weekend or a week long. I don't think it has faded at all. I'll be happy to share the manufacturer, as I know you would be able to get. With a vest it was OK in Ginnie, but in Crystal River due to the topside temp I was cold.

You can wash it on gentle???? I have been handwashing the dang thing and I am never sure if I get all the soap out! Do you use woolite or regular detergent?
"In order to be irreplaceable one must always be different" CoCo Chanel

beachbunny@singledivers.com

"Be the change you wish to see in the world"
Ghandi

#35 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic
  • Logged Dives:too many logged, too many not logged...:)

Posted 26 July 2006 - 05:45 PM

The two biggest things that accelerate fading and break down of the suit that I've seen is sun and chlorine.

I agree with Eric here. If you care for your suit, you can expect some longevity. My all black 3mm turned gray and finally gave out - but I primarily dove it in the pool while teaching and did my best to care for it, but it finally succumb to the chlorine wear and tear.

I also put it in the washing machine on gentle cycle after every trip, be it a weekend or a week long. I don't think it has faded at all.

You can wash it on gentle???? I have been handwashing the dang thing and I am never sure if I get all the soap out! Do you use woolite or regular detergent?

I have put suits on occassion in the washing machine with gentle detergent (no perfumes, no dyes) on the gentle cycle. I don't do it all the time, but after a long diving excursion, yes.
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#36 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 26 July 2006 - 06:10 PM

Buy a weight belt that fits you well (over your wet suit). Bring it with you, put the rental weights in it. Rental weight belts are almost always too big. You want a weight belt you can ditch easily. If it's too big, it won't be easy to ditch. I'd suggest getting a belt with pockets. You can use any weights with it.

If you finally decide to go with a weight integrated BC, you won't have spend much money on the belt, but in the mean time, you'll have been safer and more comfortable.
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#37 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic

Posted 26 July 2006 - 06:26 PM

Buy a weight belt that fits you well (over your wet suit). Bring it with you, put the rental weights in it. Rental weight belts are almost always too big. You want a weight belt you can ditch easily. If it's too big, it won't be easy to ditch. I'd suggest getting a belt with pockets. You can use any weights with it.

If you finally decide to go with a weight integrated BC, you won't have spend much money on the belt, but in the mean time, you'll have been safer and more comfortable.

Great point Walter. XS scuba has some versatile belts we use for our rental fleet that come in different sizes (2, 3 or 4 pockets on each side for smaller bodies or to handle differing amounts of weight - click here for more info). They have held their own in rental situations, so I am very happy with them thus far. Walter may have even better suggestions.
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#38 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 26 July 2006 - 07:45 PM

Black, blue or yellow? I think she's gonna want purple.
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#39 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts

Posted 26 July 2006 - 07:50 PM

Dang it! Annasea - you'll have to make friends with the vendor! :birthday:

#40 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 26 July 2006 - 08:31 PM

(Good for you! And Gregg's daughter! Where did you go for the dives?)

Went right to the pool.

Hopefully you have a positive experience renting regs, BC, and fins.

#41 annasea

annasea

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 26 July 2006 - 08:41 PM

Hopefully you have a positive experience renting regs, BC, and fins.

"Hopefully"? Why? You think I may not? :P

I called both dive shops in Avalon and between the two of them, they have 6 to 7 different fins to rent. I didn't enquire about the BC or regs, but I'm reckoning they're workable, generic types, similiar to what I was using during my OW course. As long as they have an XS BC, I'm good to go! :D

#42 annasea

annasea

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 26 July 2006 - 08:46 PM

<snip> XS scuba has some versatile belts we use for our rental fleet that come in different sizes (2, 3 or 4 pockets on each side for smaller bodies or to handle differing amounts of weight - click here for more info). They have held their own in rental situations, so I am very happy with them thus far. <snip>

Thx for the link, Dive_Girl! :P

Well, with a predominately purple wetsuit, it'll probably be too much. I like the yellow; it'll match my shell-collecting bag! :D

#43 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 26 July 2006 - 08:54 PM

I've heard that some people have been less than pleased with rental gear.

You're going to be in for quite a shock if you ever get to dive a BC that actually fits you properly. A well fitting wetsuit is a great start though. Can't argue that. I just hope it's warm enough. I hope you get a hood.

-P

"Hopefully"? Why? You think I may not? :P

I called both dive shops in Avalon and between the two of them, they have 6 to 7 different fins to rent. I didn't enquire about the BC or regs, but I'm reckoning they're workable, generic types, similiar to what I was using during my OW course. As long as they have an XS BC, I'm good to go! :D

#44 annasea

annasea

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 26 July 2006 - 09:01 PM

I've heard that some people have been less than pleased with rental gear.

You're going to be in for quite a shock if you ever get to dive a BC that actually fits you properly. A well fitting wetsuit is a great start though. Can't argue that. I just hope it's warm enough. I hope you get a hood.

-P

Oh, I'm getting a hood! It'll be attached to the tunic -- 7mm. Since I managed quite nicely temperature-wise at Morrison with just a beanie, I'm sure I'll be snug as a bug with my 7mm hood. :P

#45 Desert_Diver

Desert_Diver

Everyone knows me

• Charter Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI AOW, TDI Nitrox (does it really matter to you??)
  • Logged Dives:130 something

Posted 26 July 2006 - 10:05 PM

The lighter the color, the worse the stains will get. Your suit will look like it has a bunch of rust stains and oil marks in these areas. It will look great the first time you try it on. However, the more you dive it, the more it will get stains on it. Black hides the best.

My black & purple still looks OK, but it's only had around 20 or so dives on it. Heck, even my black/black drysuit is showing some colors from wrecks, but it's not as nasty looking as the black/yellow suit was. I was game to keep diving it, but it started to delaminate in Bonaire so I tossed it. Sniff.

Caetllonn: here's a suggestion: if they're making you one or more custom suits, ask 'em if they'll do a custom beanie. Find one that fits you nicely, then let 'em use it for a pattern. When I had my suits done, I also had 'em make hooded vests to go with 'em, but that was a disaster. The suit fit was OK, but both of the hooded vests were unuseable (one way too big, one too small). You won't have that kind of issue with a beanie.

And since you're scrawny like me :P , the quote from Perrone is true. It's amazing when you finally get a BC that fits right. The rental ones fit me like I was a kid wearing my dad's jacket.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users