• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

DAN

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 novicediver

novicediver

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 78 posts
  • Logged Dives:19

Posted 01 August 2006 - 08:36 AM

Undoubtedly, we all agree DAN is a terrific program for divers. But what does it actually provide? I know the plan offers several benefits but the only one that seems important is the availability of hyperbaric chambers and evacuation in the event it is needed. That alone can save lives and a whooping amount of money.
Considering only the preferred plan, since cost are so low, it just does not make sense to have any other. What benefits do you see as most important to DAN members?

#2 Scubatooth

Scubatooth

I spend too much time on line

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts
  • Board Status:Omnes Qui Errant Non Pereunt!
  • Cert Level:Rec: DM -- Tec: Ext Range
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 01 August 2006 - 08:55 AM

Even though i have never had to use my DAN plan i still get the top(master or something like that its $99 a year) level one as it covers just about anything i would need inthe even i get hurt just about anywhere in the world, plus i dont remember the limits but in some cases thats not enough to cover the bills for remote location Evac (I remember reading that a fixed wing evac of more then 1000 miles one way was like some 20-45K+ when its all said and done).

The other one to consider is that your traditional health insurance might not cover any diving injuries (my current insurance has a escape clause on diving activities so DAN for me is a must). There are others out there that do but you have to read the fine print.

for me its piece of mind

FWIW

Tooth

A Novus Dies Has Adveho.... Occupo Dies

Where in the World is Tooth? ... Catch Me It You Can!

Traveling the World, Diving, and Photography, on my days off from saving lives as a Paramedic

#3 BlueSail

BlueSail

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
  • Cert Level:DiveMaster , Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:100+

Posted 01 August 2006 - 09:16 AM

I agree with Scubatooth. The master plan at $99/year is money well-spent.

PS What I meant to say was the Preferred Plan (not the master Plan) at $99/year (including DAN membership), is well worth it.

Edited by BlueSail, 02 August 2006 - 08:47 AM.

#4 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic
  • Logged Dives:too many logged, too many not logged...:)

Posted 01 August 2006 - 09:39 AM

To hold DAN accident insurance, you also pay to become a DAN member. DAN membership benefits include:

24-Hour DAN TravelAssist
Alert Diver, DAN's Award-Winning Magazine
Report on DCI, Diving Fatalities, & PDE

DAN's Preferred diving accident plan covers:

$250,000 (per occurrence) coverage for all covered in-water skin and scuba diving injuries occurring at any depth+, plus up to $15,000 in accidental death and dismemberment benefits resulting from a covered diving illness or injury++, and up to $15,000 in permanent total disability benefits resulting from a diving illness or injury++ incurred at any depth.
$10,000 (maximum lifetime benefit) coverage for eligible charges from the treatment of non-diving accidents outside your home country.
$10,000 (maximum lifetime benefit) coverage for injured person's losses incurred for trip cancellation before departure.
$5,000 (maximum lifetime benefit) coverage for injured person's losses incurred for trip interruptions after departure.
ALSO, you receive additional coverage with the Preferred Plan: if you're involved in a covered diving accident, DAN insurance will pay up to an additional $3,000 accommodations, $2,000 airline ticket and $2,500 lost dive equipment coverage, to ease the sting of these incidental losses.
Plus up to $100,000 DAN TravelAssist benefits*.

+ DAN coverage is secondary coverage. After any other coverage you may have, DAN pays up to 100 percent of reasonable and customary costs of all remaining eligible expenses.

++ This benefit pays for accidental death and dismemberment or permanent total disability caused directly by scuba diving independent of all other causes.

[source: DAN]

There is also a handy chart comparing the 3 DAN policies here.

I like the idea that this policy (my policy) includes trip cancellation insurance, trip interruption insurance, lost diving equipment, and covers accidents at any depth in addition to the accident insurance. The DAN Standard Plan limits coverage to accidents occuring at a maximum of 130'.
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#5 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 01 August 2006 - 10:05 AM

Thanks, Dive Girl, for your post. In view of the fact that I am routinely exceeding recreational depth limits these days it made me review my DAN plan to make sure I have the necessary coverage. Whew! For most of my diving career I adhered pretty closely to the rec depth limit since my research focus, giant kelp, rarely grows below that depth.

#6 Guest_TexasStarfish_*

Guest_TexasStarfish_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 August 2006 - 11:08 AM

I never needed it before, being insured and working through a SCUBA shop on all my diving excursions. :rolleyes: Now that I'm not, I have the master plan through DAN. I wasn't ready to make the full jump, but I wanted something a little more than the standard. Hopefully I'll never need it, but it's a small price to pay.

:wakawaka:

#7 AliKat

AliKat

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,232 posts

Posted 01 August 2006 - 12:08 PM

I never had much use for DAN except that SD required it for their trips. The Navy will pay for all my health care, including flights and chamber rides. However, after hearing that DAN helped some divers get out of Dodge after the tsunami hit Indonesia and Thialand Chirstmas 04, I wouldn't be without it.
"

#8 cdtgray

cdtgray

Getting started

• Pip
  • 41 posts
  • Cert Level:Recreational: NAUI Instructor, Technical: Full Trimix
  • Logged Dives:A few hundred-ish but most are not LOGGED.

Posted 01 August 2006 - 12:09 PM

I have maintained insurance with DAN since I started taking scuba trips outside of the country. While the Army is good enough to protect it's investment with full medical coverage for emergency situations, outside of the US or US bases, getting that coverage can be difficult. Having DAN gives me the piece of mind that I will be taken care of should something happen.

Once I started doing technical diving, I changed to the master plan to provide more appropriate coverage.

Edited by cdtgray, 01 August 2006 - 12:12 PM.

#9 peterbj7

peterbj7

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:over 4000

Posted 01 August 2006 - 06:54 PM

Even though I live in the Americas I'm not eligible for the DAN Americas Preferred Plan - you have to live in the USA for that. I have DAN personal and dive center insurance, but they're both with DAN Europe (which most Americans won't be eligible for). DAN Americas has no professional plan, but DAN Europe's is one of the best around.

#10 Brinybay

Brinybay

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:580

Posted 01 August 2006 - 10:51 PM

Undoubtedly, we all agree DAN is a terrific program for divers. But what does it actually provide? I know the plan offers several benefits but the only one that seems important is the availability of hyperbaric chambers and evacuation in the event it is needed. That alone can save lives and a whooping amount of money.
Considering only the preferred plan, since cost are so low, it just does not make sense to have any other. What benefits do you see as most important to DAN members?

Most employer-provided medical plans do not cover hyperbaric chambers. So, yes, it's good to have.
"The cure for anything is saltwater--sweat, tears, or the sea." - Isak Dinesen

"A good marriage is like an interlocking neurosis, where the rocks in one person's head fill up the holes in the other's."

#11 6Gill

6Gill

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 01 August 2006 - 11:34 PM

Most employer-provided medical plans do not cover hyperbaric chambers. So, yes, it's good to have.

In British Columbia it is covered under provincial health plan but this will vary from province to province.My employer medical plan entitles me to covarage when out of the province(rest of Canada or international)

#12 Divegirl412

Divegirl412

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 817 posts
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 01 August 2006 - 11:44 PM

Anecdote... first dive injury in Maui last month... sea urchin spine under fingernail. Really hurt so I wanted at least the under nail portion out. Maui only seems to have Kaiser clinics (called them, would not see me because I am not Kaiser) and a "doctors on call service" for the hotels. Saw the doctor on call. he did his bit of work. It was a little clinic/ urgent care setting. Paid him and submitted to my regular medical insurance. They say they will only pay if it was in an EMERGENCY room!!! Unless it was a designated location in San Diego. Therefore, I am S-O-O-L if I get hurt when I am not in San Diego or near an actual ER. Urgent care and clinics do not count for reimbursement. And I am a doctor at the very facility my plan is administered through!!! DAN preferrred will pay my full bill once I get my official rejection letter from my health plan. So it is a very good back up to have, even if you think you have a decent medical plan. You'd be surprised at the caveats. And most of us travel far outside the US.

Also, don't forget that most life and accidental death policies do not cover scuba diving as a covered risk, or they have stringent limits on depth etc and can very easily deny a claim for a diving related incident.

#13 Terri

Terri

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,819 posts

Posted 02 August 2006 - 08:22 AM

Thanks for starting this thread! It reminded me that my DAN insurance expires at the end of August - so I went online and renewed last night....

I have two trips coming up - would hate to think I'd be DAN-less!!!
'I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead'...JB

#14 Hexkraut

Hexkraut

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 97 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced
  • Logged Dives:1000

Posted 08 August 2006 - 09:12 AM

Diver insurance seems to be discussed often, now I will need some honest advice here. I am insured through my employer. I called my insurance yesterday and asked what about if I have a diving accident either in the US or abroad. I was told there is no restriction on my insurance plan, no matter how a accident occurs. However when overseas I would most likely have to foot the bill and then mail the bill to my insurance company when back home. Another thing I can't just get checked out only if an emergency issue arises such as a accident if I have to make a emergency ascent.
How does DAN work? Considering I have no credit cards because I don't believe in credit rather pay my stuff in either cash or debit/credit cards, I would have serious issues paying any emergency transport up front. Would DAN pay for it if I presented my DAN insurance card overseas?
Thanks all for your kind advice.

#15 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,615 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 08 August 2006 - 09:26 AM

Diver insurance seems to be discussed often, now I will need some honest advice here. I am insured through my employer. I called my insurance yesterday and asked what about if I have a diving accident either in the US or abroad. I was told there is no restriction on my insurance plan, no matter how a accident occurs. However when overseas I would most likely have to foot the bill and then mail the bill to my insurance company when back home. Another thing I can't just get checked out only if an emergency issue arises such as a accident if I have to make a emergency ascent.
How does DAN work? Considering I have no credit cards because I don't believe in credit rather pay my stuff in either cash or debit/credit cards, I would have serious issues paying any emergency transport up front. Would DAN pay for it if I presented my DAN insurance card overseas?
Thanks all for your kind advice.

The chamber can bill DAN so you don't have to pay the bill. Otherwise you won't be released until you pay the bill. Even if you had credit cards you'd have to have very high limits...most chamber rides run into thousands of dollars and if you add airvac to that you are usually over $10k.

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users