• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

DAN

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#16 cmt489

cmt489

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,346 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:75+

Posted 08 August 2006 - 10:11 AM

Most employer-provided medical plans do not cover hyperbaric chambers. So, yes, it's good to have.

In British Columbia it is covered under provincial health plan but this will vary from province to province.My employer medical plan entitles me to covarage when out of the province(rest of Canada or international)

I also checked with my extended health plan and they cover as well. Kicker is that I don't want to have to pay first, get reimbursed later, so I also carry DAN.

Eric, also remember that if MSP pays, they only pay what they would pay here which will likely result in undercoverage - kind of like a hospital stay when travelling in the US. They cover, just not the full amount which, as my mother found out, can be a huge difference!

#17 Hexkraut

Hexkraut

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 97 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced
  • Logged Dives:1000

Posted 08 August 2006 - 11:00 AM

I went ahead and signed up with DAN preferred member insurance plan. It also adds some peace of mind.
Hope I will not need it but in case something happens I know someone will be there to assist. You guys are great here with info. Love it.

#18 sunshinediver

sunshinediver

People are starting to get to know me

• Professional
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor trainer with SEI and CMAS; HSA (divers with disabilities) and DAN instructor; tech
  • Logged Dives:2312

Posted 23 September 2006 - 07:11 PM

I have been a longtime member of DAN, and I did end up finally needing it last year. Diver's Alert Network was great...they helped pay for surgery on my hand following an exit injury on a SCUBA dive. I highly recommend them and hope that I never need them for anything bigger, but there is definitely peace of mind in having the highest level of insurance at a very reasonable price. Kudos to DAN for all that the organization does! :usflag:

#19 ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts
  • Cert Level:Course Director; CCR Instructor
  • Logged Dives:2000+

Posted 23 September 2006 - 10:19 PM

I thought I was bent once after a dive. Off to the chamber I went. Three treatments later with no improvement. At least I didn't have to worry about paying for it.

I later found out that I had a disk issue in my neck, and that was the cause of the numbness in my arms after the dive. Standing around in tanks for hours before the dive aggravated the condition.
"The most important thing is not to stop questioning." Albert Einstein

"For the diligent diver, closed circuit rebreathers are actually safer than open circuit scuba." Tom Mount

#20 netmage

netmage

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts
  • Cert Level:Tech & Cave
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 24 September 2006 - 09:20 AM

I thought I was bent once after a dive. Off to the chamber I went. Three treatments later with no improvement. At least I didn't have to worry about paying for it.

I later found out that I had a disk issue in my neck, and that was the cause of the numbness in my arms after the dive. Standing around in tanks for hours before the dive aggravated the condition.

I've been a DAN member for 3 or 4 years, had to use it twice, 1st a visit to the ER, 2nd a full blown extravaganza half-way around the world, chamber, medivac, etc still waiting for the paperwork to clear out on that one... I'll definately maintain my DAN membership, however I'm contemplating moving my insurance to DiveAssure if I do another big trip. The travel benefits are more comprehensive and the fact that they act as primary insuance.

Edited by netmage, 24 September 2006 - 09:20 AM.

"I aim to misbehave...."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users