• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Diving the San Juans over Thanksgiving

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Brinybay

Brinybay

I spend too much time on line

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:580

Posted 03 August 2006 - 10:16 PM

This is just an idea that I wanted to run up the flagpole and see who salutes. Nov 22-25. San Juan Island, WA. Get a place that has rooms/cabins with a kitchen that we have access to. Go diving, have Thanksgiving dinner together, go diving again, travel back Sunday the 26th. There is a dive charter in Friday Harbor, shore diving nearby, or skiffs to rent for a day, or a combination thereof. The best part is I looked up the tides/currents for those days in that area. FLAT EXCHANGES STARTING AT SUNRISE FOR SEVERAL DAYS!!

When you think about it, Nov is not really that far away and something like this would take some planning. I'm looking at some B&B places that have full access to kitchens, such as this one: http://www.rockislan...~wayfarersrest/

What do you think? I know it's only August, and it's lacking details, but I just wanted to see if anybody would even consider spending Thanksgiving with a bunch of fun-loving SD diving folks instead of boring ol' relatives and in-laws.

Edited by Brinybay, 04 August 2006 - 08:49 PM.

"The cure for anything is saltwater--sweat, tears, or the sea." - Isak Dinesen

"A good marriage is like an interlocking neurosis, where the rocks in one person's head fill up the holes in the other's."

#2 fbp

fbp

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 764 posts
  • Cert Level:Dive Master - Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:1000+

Posted 04 August 2006 - 09:36 PM

Hmm.... sounds like fun.

I normally go up to the Sunshine Coast, Porpoise Bay for the last 7yrs, but might have a problem with time off this year... so might consider it a fun option...

thanx...
fpoole
Diving & Gliding..
Hiking & Camping.
Shooting (photos) the Great Nor'West

www.poolesweb.com/

#3 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,626 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 04 August 2006 - 10:25 PM

Dang it...I would LOVE to dive the San Juans as an SD local PNW event...but I'm already doing the Sea of Cortez for Thanksgiving...

Any chance you can make it another time????

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#4 fbp

fbp

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 764 posts

Posted 04 August 2006 - 10:35 PM

No problem-O sunshine... :teeth:

I'll do the Sea of Cortez and you can take my spot up here...
Problem solve.. heheh...
How Kewl is that eh??? :evilgrin:

Doing the Nautilus??

See how I'm willing to sacrifice just for you... :thankyou:

Edited by fbp, 04 August 2006 - 10:36 PM.

fpoole
Diving & Gliding..
Hiking & Camping.

www.poolesweb.com/

#5 Brinybay

Brinybay

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts

Posted 06 August 2006 - 02:01 AM

No problem-O sunshine... :D

I'll do the Sea of Cortez and you can take my spot up here...
Problem solve.. heheh...
How Kewl is that eh??? :wavey:

Doing the Nautilus??

See how I'm willing to sacrifice just for you... :)

Was she addressing you or me?

This isn't a done deal, I'm just putting the feelers out. I don't even know how to go about makeing the arrangements, I would definitely need help with that.

Edited by Brinybay, 06 August 2006 - 02:04 AM.

"A good marriage is like an interlocking neurosis, where the rocks in one person's head fill up the holes in the other's."

#6 fbp

fbp

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 764 posts

Posted 06 August 2006 - 08:49 AM

She was addressing you Greg, ma friend... I was just trying to be "Funny"

but being the Gentleman that I am... :)
I was just offering a solution for her dilemma..

I'm not sure I can make anyway, but just wanted to keep it as an option if I can't get of for Porpoise Bay.. Work has a screwy system where you have to bid for time time off on popular holidays..

there are plenty of B&B in the area, downtown Friday harbor, walking distance to the docks, dive boat... the problem would be booking for that weekend... probably booked up by now...

Currents are the big deal out there, I've dove on the west side and the top, east side (shore diving). "Kelpy and currentity.." from the shore.. Last boat review from a friend that dove with them, was not positive... I'm sure it's changed since then, apx 9 month?? ago... but...??

Good luck...

I don't know why, but I keep getting double spaced and have to go back in to re-edit... the paragraphs...

Edited by fbp, 06 August 2006 - 11:10 AM.

fpoole
Diving & Gliding..
Hiking & Camping.

www.poolesweb.com/

#7 Brinybay

Brinybay

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts

Posted 06 August 2006 - 10:55 AM

Yeah, that's why I wanted to try to get a feeling of interest now while there's still time to make reservations for accomodations. As I said, the currents for those few days are phenomenal, flat exchanges for several days starting at sunrise. This would be nice if planned right and enough interest, but I can't do it alone.

So, Frank's out, Kamala is a maybe. I've had one other interest from a local yesterday who's not an SD'r. None of the other SD folks have said a word yet.

#8 gcbryan

gcbryan

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts
  • Logged Dives:620

Posted 06 August 2006 - 01:00 PM

I probably won't be available in any event but just to throw out another suggestion for you to consider if you aren't getting enough interest...

If it's not already booked perhaps you could book DeepSea Charters out of Anacortes for Thanksgiving Day. Those with less time could drive up for the day and everyone could dive together and those who want to drive up the night before or stay the night after are free to do so. Anyone staying overnight could get together for dinner/drinks with the others.

In my opinion shore dives on San Juan Island aren't that great except for Lime Kiln Lighthouse although it is a great place to camp and dive when the weather is warmer in the summer months. DeepSea Charters is a much better charter than the one you are talking about as well.

To qualify my comments regarding shore dives there...in my experience the shore dive sites are shallow except for Lilm Kiln and don't offer nearly as much variety as San Juan boat dives.

Just some suggestions in case you need to modify your original plan.

#9 Brinybay

Brinybay

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts

Posted 06 August 2006 - 04:38 PM

Thanks. Nothing is booked, this is just an idea. From the sounds of it, I'll probably scale back the plan and just book a boat dive up there sometime during those dates.

#10 Diver_C

Diver_C

Getting started

• Pip
  • 38 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver
  • Logged Dives:115

Posted 10 August 2006 - 08:03 PM

A strong maybe. I normally have a big smoked turkey dinner party on that Saturday, but some people can't make it, so I am postponing it a week. Was planning on going to Snowbird/Alta, Utah for Thanksgiving, but if that doesn't happen, San Juans diving sounds fun. Deep Sea Charters is a great charter out of Anacortes. Would be cool to be actually in the San Juans, and not just based out of Anacortes for the trip.

Rich
Go Fast, Turn Left. http://www.apbanw.com - http://www.goboatracing.net
Wa. state family law attorneys http://www.danceycassady.com

#11 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic
  • Logged Dives:too many logged, too many not logged...:)

Posted 15 August 2006 - 01:09 PM

If plans land me in town, I would be interested in joining everyone. It's too tentative to plan for right now as I am often out of town taking advantage of the 4 days off from work.

It is a wonderful idea for a local dive and HH, BrinyBay. I have pinned this topic in the Western Seaboard SD Events sub forum of our SD Events forum!
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#12 Brinybay

Brinybay

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts

Posted 22 August 2006 - 02:41 PM

If plans land me in town, I would be interested in joining everyone. It's too tentative to plan for right now as I am often out of town taking advantage of the 4 days off from work.

It is a wonderful idea for a local dive and HH, BrinyBay. I have pinned this topic in the Western Seaboard SD Events sub forum of our SD Events forum!

I'm going to have to bow out of any planning for this event. Nothing has been planned actually, it was just an idea. Things are changing at work and I don't know what will be happening work-wise around that time. If someone else wants to run with it, fine.

#13 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic
  • Logged Dives:too many logged, too many not logged...:)

Posted 22 August 2006 - 03:54 PM

I thought it was a great idea. I more than understand when work takes over. I hope you didn't feel pressured to plan anything, however. I find events are easy to plan when you say "HEY! I am going to be diving here at this time, whoever comes - well it'll be an event!" :unsure:

I'll unpin the topic unless another PNW picks up the ball. Please keep in mind cmt489 will be looking at putting together a Vancouver BC Happy Hour and possible dive event before the end of the year!
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users