• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Medical Conditions and Diving

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

Poll: Diving with Medical Conditions (30 member(s) have cast votes)

Do You Have a Medical Condition that should keep you from Diving

1. Yes (4 votes [13.33%])

Percentage of vote: 13.33%

2. No (23 votes [76.67%])

Percentage of vote: 76.67%

3. None of your business (3 votes [10.00%])

Percentage of vote: 10.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Bubble2Bubble

Bubble2Bubble

Arkansas HH Planner

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • Board Status:Surface Interval Starting 08/2009
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver, Medic, Emergency First Responder, CPR/AED-Oxygen, Dry Suit, Nitrox.
  • Logged Dives:500+ Studing for my DM

Posted 07 August 2006 - 11:11 AM

I have a Medical Condition that should keep me from being a Diver. But I choose to dive anyway.
The List of things that should keep people from being a diver is Long.........

so I'm not going to risk missspelling any medical terms here.

The sub-title says anonymous, but you can add your thoughts if you want.

Got a Medical Condition ?
1. Yes
2. No
3. None of your business

B2B

Edited by Bubble2Bubble, 07 August 2006 - 11:16 AM.

Dive into Life and Live for Diving!
no trees were harmed while posting any of my messages,
however a significant number of electrons were inconvenienced.

Buy Lawn Mower and Chain Saw Parts at...
Amazon.com

#2 6Gill

6Gill

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts
  • Logged Dives:100+

Posted 07 August 2006 - 11:34 AM

Something to consider is not only how this medical condition will effect you but the people you dive with(buddy, divegroup,charter operters)along with family ect.There is both a physical and mental danger to those diving with or around you along with the charter people.I know a number of people that have had to deal with a death or major situation created by people lying about their medical condition.
That being said not all medical conditions limit diving but might limit the type of diving one does.
I feel that what ones does is fine and noones buisness but if you put people at risk they have a right to know and decide for themselves.

#3 Guest_TexasStarfish_*

Guest_TexasStarfish_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 August 2006 - 01:09 PM

I had a scary experience as an instructor. NAUI does not certify anyone who has asthma, no matter how slight. I had a woman lie on her medical release form. During one of our pool sessions she had an asthma attack at 12ft and I had to bring her to the surface. She was lucky we were only in a pool and I was able to realize what was happening and get her to the surface in time.

It's just something to think about and I hope I never have to be put in that situation again.

:cheerleader:

#4 cdtgray

cdtgray

Getting started

• Pip
  • 41 posts
  • Cert Level:Recreational: NAUI Instructor, Technical: Full Trimix
  • Logged Dives:A few hundred-ish but most are not LOGGED.

Posted 07 August 2006 - 02:44 PM

Medical conditions aside, I have no problem with the person who knowingly engages in something dangerous provided that the individual is willing to accept all of the associated risks and that the individual's actions do nothing to put others at risk. It is simply a matter of personal responsibility and respect for others. Unfortunately it seems in many cases that both responsibility and respect are lacking in our society.

Certainly in Victoria's case, the diver with asthma didn't respect Victoria enough as an instructor to inform her of the condition. I also have little doubt that if something more serious happened the woman with asthma would have initiated a lawsuit (or her family posthumously).

#5 Bubble2Bubble

Bubble2Bubble

Arkansas HH Planner

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver, Medic, Emergency First Responder, CPR/AED-Oxygen, Dry Suit, Nitrox.

Posted 07 August 2006 - 03:06 PM

We can start a thread on If you have a medical condition and dont tell anyone about later :P

DIVING MEDICAL EXAM OVERVIEW FOR THE EXAMINING PHYSICIAN

1. Tympanic membrane perforation or aeration tube [7]
2. Inability to auto-inflate the middle ears [6,7,8]
3. External ear exostoses or osteomas adequate to prevent external ear canal pressure equilibration [4]
4. Meniere's Disease or other chronic vertiginous conditions, status post-surgery, such as subarachnoid endolymphatic shunt for Meniere's Disease [11]
5. Stapedectomy and middle ear prosthesis [9]
6. Chronic mastoiditis or mastoid fistula [5]
7. Any oral or maxillofacial deformity that interferes with the retention of the regulator mouthpiece [43]
8. Corrected near visual acuity not adequate to see tank pressure gauge, watch, decompression tables, and compass underwater. Uncorrected visual acuity not adequate to see the diving buddy or locate the boat in case corrective lenses are lost underwater [13]
9. Radial keratotomy or other recent ocular surgery [14]
10. Claustrophobia of a degree to predispose to panic [15,16]
11. Suicidal ideation [16]
12. Significant anxiety states [16]
13. Psychosis [18]
14. Severe depression [16]
15. Manic states [16]
16. Alcoholism [19,20]
17. Mood-altering drug use [19,20]
18. Improper motivation for diving [16,17,18]
19. Episodic loss of consciousness [1,22]
20. History of seizure. History of seizure in early childhood must be evaluated individually [21]
21. Migraine [20]
22. History of cerebrovascular accident or transient ischemic attack [23]

23. History of spinal cord trauma with neurologic deficit - whether fully recovered or not. [23]
24. Any degenerative or demyelinating CNS process [25]
25. Brain tumor with or without surgery [24]
26. Intracranial aneurysm or other vascular malformation [24]
27. History of neurological decompression sickness with residual deficit [23,24]
28. Head injury with sequelae [21]
29. History of intracranial surgery [24]
30. Sickle cell disease [34]
31. Polycythemia or leukemia [34]
32. Unexplained anemia [34]
33. History of myocardial infarction [28,29,20]
34. Angina or other evidence of coronary artery disease [29]
35. Unrepaired cardiac septal defects [32]
36. Aortic stenosis or mitral stenosis [32]
37. Complete heart block [31]
38. Fixed second-degree heart block [31]
39. Exercised-induced tachyarrhythmias [31,32]
40. Wolf-Parkinson-White (WPW) Syndrome with paroxysmal atrial tachycardia or syncope [31]
41. Fixed-rate pacemakers [33]
42. Any drugs which inhibit the normal cardiovascular response to exercise tolerance [31]
43. Peripheral vascular disease, arterial or venous, severe enough to limit exercise tolerance [33,41]
44. Hypertension with end-organ finding - retinal, cardiac, renal or vascular [30]
45. History of spontaneous pneumothorax [36]
46. Bronchial asthma. History of childhood asthma requires special studies [7,35]
47. Exercise or cold air-induced asthma [36,37]
48. X-ray evidence of pulmonary blebs, bullae, or cysts [36,37]
49. Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease [37]
50. Insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus. Diet or oral medication-controlled diabetes mellitus if there is a history of hypoglycemic episodes [38]
51. Any abdominal wall hernia with potential for gas-trapping until surgically corrected [41]
52. Paraesophageal or incarcerated sliding hiatal hernia [39]
53. Sliding hiatus hernia if symptomatic due to reflux esophagitis [39]
54. Pregnancy [1,45]
55. Osteonecrosis. A history consistent with a high risk of dysbaric osteonecrosis
56. Any condition requiring ingestion of the following medication: antihistamines, bronchodilators, steroids, barbiturates, phenytoin, mood-altering drugs, insulin

Thats the Top 56 reasons anyway.

I'm not promoting unsafe diving at all !
I just want people to be honest with themselves and give us an Idea of how many people have a Medical Condtion. we all dive under the water, But no one Walks on it :cheerleader:

B2B

Amazon.com

#6 cdtgray

cdtgray

Getting started

• Pip
  • 41 posts
  • Cert Level:Recreational: NAUI Instructor, Technical: Full Trimix
  • Logged Dives:A few hundred-ish but most are not LOGGED.

Posted 07 August 2006 - 03:16 PM

Ooops, didnt mean to drift a little off of the topic. No medical contradictions to diving on my end, just occupational ones lately.

#7 Bubble2Bubble

Bubble2Bubble

Arkansas HH Planner

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 07 August 2006 - 05:27 PM

No Worries Dave

Theres no right or wrong posts here.

I had to confess to one of these conditions so I could post this poll.

I have been craving pickles and ice cream lately so I must be #54 :cheerleader:

B2B

Amazon.com

#8 ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts
  • Cert Level:Course Director; CCR Instructor
  • Logged Dives:2000+

Posted 07 August 2006 - 05:50 PM

What are the numbers in brackets?
"The most important thing is not to stop questioning." Albert Einstein

"For the diligent diver, closed circuit rebreathers are actually safer than open circuit scuba." Tom Mount

#9 Hipshot

Hipshot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,391 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver/Asst. Instructor
  • Logged Dives:>500

Posted 07 August 2006 - 05:56 PM

Approximately 15 years ago, I had a virus-induced cardiomyopathy that almost killed me. I was medically cleared for diving and made my first dive of 1992 less than six months after being released from the hospital. I have observed a 60-foot floor since that time, and I have an automated internal defibrillator that will be damaged from pressure if I go much past 100 feet.

This year, for the first time, I feel impaired. Consequently, after this season, I'm hanging up my regulator for good. Besides the cardiomyopathy, I've developed arthritis, and between the two of them, diving is just too much.

I've been diving since 1969, and I've had a good, long run. However, as in any sport, one has to know when to get out. I'll still assist with classes, including pool work, but my open water days are coming to a close.

Rick

I’ll never be considered one of the all-time greats; maybe not even one of the all-time goods. But I’m one of the all-time survivors.--Jim Kaat

#10 Guest_TexasStarfish_*

Guest_TexasStarfish_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 August 2006 - 06:46 PM

8. Corrected near visual acuity not adequate to see tank pressure gauge, watch, decompression tables, and compass underwater. Uncorrected visual acuity not adequate to see the diving buddy or locate the boat in case corrective lenses are lost underwater [13]

I might be guilty of this one :cool1:

#11 ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts

Posted 07 August 2006 - 09:58 PM

I might be guilty of this one :whistle:
:P

That's what masks and backup masks are for. :) Shouldn't that be enough?

"For the diligent diver, closed circuit rebreathers are actually safer than open circuit scuba." Tom Mount

#12 ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts

Posted 07 August 2006 - 10:00 PM

I've been diving since 1969, and I've had a good, long run. However, as in any sport, one has to know when to get out.

I only hope that I can be so brave if that day ever comes. You are the tops! :P

#13 Starfish Sandy

Starfish Sandy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,323 posts
  • Cert Level:aow, nitrox
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 08 August 2006 - 08:13 AM

I've been diving since 1969, and I've had a good, long run. However, as in any sport, one has to know when to get out.

I only hope that I can be so brave if that day ever comes. You are the tops! :P

DITTO!!!
Known puker

#14 Scubatooth

Scubatooth

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts
  • Board Status:Omnes Qui Errant Non Pereunt!
  • Cert Level:Rec: DM -- Tec: Ext Range
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 08 August 2006 - 08:47 AM

Before going into the list, i do have a medical condition that CAN affect my diving but if its active im not going to feel well enough to dive (Crohns), and my meds can factor into this. Those that i know and dive with are aware of my condition and status. Then if i have problems i will know whats going on and what the steps to be taken are.

But those that lie about conditions to dive are putting others at risk and exposing them to unneeded liabilty if something where to happen. IE student has a asthma or heart condition,etc and has a problem underwater and gets severly injured or killed first blunt reaction afterwards is going to round up names and sue.

personally i would rather know in advance of something(even if its not reccomended you dont dive) so if something where to happen i would have a clue as whats going on/do, or even the ability to opt out of the event(because of the cert i hold, nad whats expected of me with holding those(duty to act, etc)) .

now for the list

We can start a thread on If you have a medical condition and dont tell anyone about later :P

35. Unrepaired cardiac septal defects [32]
36. Aortic stenosis or mitral stenosis [32]
37. Complete heart block [31]
38. Fixed second-degree heart block [31]
39. Exercised-induced tachyarrhythmias [31,32]
40. Wolf-Parkinson-White (WPW) Syndrome with paroxysmal atrial tachycardia or syncope [31]
41. Fixed-rate pacemakers [33]

with being in the cardiology section of my paramedic training we have had extensive lectures on these conditions.

on number 35 most people who have this dont know about it till they get bent because of it, or they go looking for it. its commonly called a PFO.

36. didnt know that about the stints but good to know.

as for 37,38 those conditions for the most part if those persons have those they are going to be in the hospital or closely monitored as 37, and 38 can be fatal if not treated by a cardiologist and had a pacemaker inserted.

39-41 interesting but i those people wouldtn be diving as there doctor wouldnt recomend it, especially 40 as having runs of SVT (supra ventricular tach, same as paroxysmal atrial tach) is normally a precurser to other more serious disrhythmias.

56. Any condition requiring ingestion of the following medication: antihistamines, bronchodilators, steroids, barbiturates, phenytoin, mood-altering drugs, insulin

hmm the i can understand most of this list but why is steriods listed on this? because for the first 2 years i dove i was on high dose steriods to control my condition and didnt have any bad effects or reactions. Is there some research that i missed online ?

FWIW

Tooth

Edited by Scubatooth, 08 August 2006 - 09:01 AM.

A Novus Dies Has Adveho.... Occupo Dies

Where in the World is Tooth? ... Catch Me It You Can!

Traveling the World, Diving, and Photography, on my days off from saving lives as a Paramedic

#15 Basslet

Basslet

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,463 posts
  • Cert Level:OW
  • Logged Dives:150

Posted 08 August 2006 - 09:19 AM

My doctor has cleared me to dive so while I may have a condition, it is under control.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users