• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Security alert has been raised

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#16 rkymtwy

rkymtwy

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:250+

Posted 13 August 2006 - 10:48 AM

As of today you can't take mascara on board either! I know all you guys are broken up about that.

I have a business trip that this week, which I never check luggage for, now I have no choice. Hope my luggage gets to the same place I'm heading.

If they ban laptops as they are talking and IPod, cell phones etc. It will make business travel almost impossible. Like I'm going to check my laptop.

It's really very sad to see what is happening to our world.

#17 JackBSwift

JackBSwift

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 92 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, EANx
  • Logged Dives:60

Posted 13 August 2006 - 11:32 AM

If they ban laptops as they are talking and IPod, cell phones etc. It will make business travel almost impossible. Like I'm going to check my laptop.

It's really very sad to see what is happening to our world.

I am leaving on a business trip this week as well. It has caused me to rethink what i pack and look up the local walgreens so I can get deoderant, contact lens solution, toothpaste, etc. that I will just throw away the next day. If I cant travel with my cell phone or laptop, then I wont travel.

I think the airlines need to step and say something as well. Just because these guys have found a way around the latest in TSA guidelines, given a will...there's a way.. They will just have to come up with something else to do it.. The more you tell a child no, the more they want to do it.

Oh well, I guess my days of racking up frequent flyer miles is now on the decline.
"Love What You Do.....Do What You Love."

#18 Guest_PlatypusMan_*

Guest_PlatypusMan_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 August 2006 - 12:02 PM

Hope my luggage gets to the same place I'm heading.

That's my main concern: you aren't allowed to lock your bags, and that leads inevitably to theft during transit. Want to bet how many folks who suddenly had to put high-dollar items into their checked baggage have found that they didn't get there in those bags on arrival?

It's what prompted my question to DAN Diver on the new DAN forum here. I'm eagerly awaiting their reply as to whether a loss of that type is covered under my equipment insurance policy.

I've spoken to quite a few business travelers who are sweating that one out because their laptops are company-provided and cannot leave their possession because of proprietary information on them. What are these folks to do--since that laptop is vital to conducting their business?

PlatypusMan

#19 Scubatooth

Scubatooth

I spend too much time on line

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts
  • Board Status:Omnes Qui Errant Non Pereunt!
  • Cert Level:Rec: DM -- Tec: Ext Range
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 13 August 2006 - 01:50 PM

Stan

i would agree with you, to me TSA hasnt really improved security at all. all they have done is add expense and hassle to travel, with no real improvement in security. Perfect example for carryons is that there is no consistancy in how the rules are followed, ie at DFW i can get my film and photo gear hand inspected, but at RDU last fall they said that it all had to be X-rayed, for which i pulled out the TSA guidelines and manufactures reccomendations on X-raying film

Then fact that they in the event of anything go wrong with a persons lugguage point fingers at the airline, which the airline points fingers at TSA, which leaves things wide open and ripe for thieves to get away with it.

as for the liquids thats total BS(whats next no powders, or compounds of any type) and it will only survive till the first person who becomes ill becuase of not being able to bring a water bottle with them to stay hydrated gets taken off of the aircraft by paramedics. As we all know that the airlines are so gracious in providing of adequate amount of fluids on board (same goes for food)unless we pay for it. alleast let someone bring a waterbottle onboard and have them do the same thing for baby formula/food. It seems like common sence in TSA is lacking as i still can buy fingernail clippers, files and eyeglass screwdrivers as well as other items on the banned list in the shops in the secure area (i have noticed this at DFW, RDU, Regan, BWI, Dulles,Norfolk, alanta, and JFK)

Platy

i would agree with you whole heartedly because for my my laptop is vital to me(for school, and business) especially when im traveling as even on the plane im working. then the fact that i travel with photo gear adds to this emmencely and i wont be checking my computer/photo gear unless i get signed agreement of liability/insurance from the airlines.

needless to say im watching this very carefully and if it continues i will be looking for other methods of getting to my destination(train, bus, POV) or driving as the exposure to loss is to great for me as losses couldnt be immeadiatelty replaced.

Platy i also have a inquiry into my insurer on coverage from theft in luggauge as well and awaiting word.

It also makes me wonder what businesses will do to as if the BA type of restictions may cause them to change or terminated there travel agreements with the airlines, IE more airlines out of business.

not trying to start a fight or anything but when is it all going to end as ben franklins famous quote really applies here

A Novus Dies Has Adveho.... Occupo Dies

Where in the World is Tooth? ... Catch Me It You Can!

Traveling the World, Diving, and Photography, on my days off from saving lives as a Paramedic

#20 Diverbrian

Diverbrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI DiveCon/IANTD Normoxic Trimix.....
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 13 August 2006 - 02:01 PM

While the opinions here can be understood, the fact of the matter is that there isn't a heck of lot that we can do about them but play by the rules given.

So, bearing that in mind... we should think about how to comply with those regulations as needed without sacrificing too much.

For instance, I know that DHL, FedEx, and UPS may get more of my business if I have to fly into a location. Let me ship the stuff in as I trust the shipping companies more than the airlines to handle my dive gear and cameras. That gets me around the weight restrictions and these rules.

I understand the sentiment about the water, but the flight attendants are going to be kept quite busy if I am on the plane bringing me water then. I could go through the list, but I don't fly much anymore so the frequent fliers will have better ideas of things to do.

As to the laptops... well teleconferencing not requiring someone to fly to a location may start to look more attractive to some companies. And TSA has not gotten around to regulating laptops as of yet.

The fact of the matter is that if you need to travel, you need to know how to do it without violating these restrictions and still keep yourself as comfortable as possible.
A person should be judged in this life not by the mistakes that they make nor by the number of them. Rather they are to be judged by their recovery from them.

#21 Scubatooth

Scubatooth

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts
  • Board Status:Omnes Qui Errant Non Pereunt!
  • Cert Level:Rec: DM -- Tec: Ext Range
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 13 August 2006 - 02:09 PM

Brian

its funny that you mentioned shipping gear to destinations as i finished a article for here on this possibility im just waiting for the review before its posted. as for the rest only time will tell.

Dan

A Novus Dies Has Adveho.... Occupo Dies

Where in the World is Tooth? ... Catch Me It You Can!

Traveling the World, Diving, and Photography, on my days off from saving lives as a Paramedic

#22 Desert_Diver

Desert_Diver

Everyone knows me

• Charter Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI AOW, TDI Nitrox (does it really matter to you??)
  • Logged Dives:130 something

Posted 13 August 2006 - 02:54 PM

They haven't said, but I'm presuming the 'liquids' restriction was 'cos the terrorists in England were planning on bringing concentrated acids onboard. Decent liquid binary explosives aren't something they can make or buy. Die Hard 2? was just a movie...

They've already had DFW shut down for a while 'cos something that HAD been carried in the pressurized cabin got tossed in the unpressurized hold, and it started smoking. Guess what's gonna happen if you can't get the air bubble out of your bottle of shampoo, when the pressure drops to 40K AGL? I imagine there's already a lot of distressed passengers over this latest fiasco.

I'm also looking at Fedex International for *some* of my stuff. The price is insane, though. All of my dive gear will stay with me for now.

And although we're a Democratic Repubic, we DO have some say-so when the government goes berserk. I strongly suggest EVERYONE write their congressmen and complain about letting TSA and Homeland Security run amok. I'll bet our congressmen don't appreciate the liquids restriction, either, nor will they be willing to check their laptops and cellphones.

Sorry 'bout the rant earlier, but 'personal liberty' is one of my biggest hot buttons, and this post-911 police state has me severely on edge. I'm barely able to restrain myself when someone says "Oh, well, the government must know what's best for us..." :P

#23 Basslet

Basslet

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,463 posts
  • Cert Level:OW
  • Logged Dives:150

Posted 13 August 2006 - 03:45 PM

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain Security will not have, nor do they deserve, either one."
Thomas Jefferson

On average 40,000 die each year in auto accidents in the US. That's been a fairly stable number for well over 30 years.

120 people die in aircraft incidents.

Tell me again why we need TSA and Homeland Security?!? When we allow uncontrolled goons to set ridiculous security policies with NO regard for how much grief it causes the general public, the terrorists have won. Call me disgruntled, but I'd rather take my chances with the stinking terrorists than have 'security policies' set in place that WE have no control over. This latest one on liquids is purely idiotic. I can guess where it came from, but there's no hope in sight that the butt-heads in Homeland Security are gonna relax it anytime soon. That's the fundamental problem with 'security' restrictions.

George Orwell must be disgusted with us. '1984' was supposed to be fiction, and a warning. Posted Image

Maybe you don't care, but maybe the children of parents who are flying might care if their parents are blown up. Maybe the economy that is dependant upon air travel would care if 10 planes were blown up. A lot of people suffered economically after 9/11 when the travel industry tanked for a while.
Frankly, I don't see how putting liquids in my carry-on is denying me my freedom. And today I bought hand wipes to carry on board instead of Purell. I can see Orwell shivering now at the indignity of that.
I just hope that the airlines will supply as much water as asked for during the flights.

#24 ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts
  • Cert Level:Course Director; CCR Instructor
  • Logged Dives:2000+

Posted 13 August 2006 - 08:07 PM

The situation is what the situation is. I am going to make the best of it.
"The most important thing is not to stop questioning." Albert Einstein

"For the diligent diver, closed circuit rebreathers are actually safer than open circuit scuba." Tom Mount

#25 annasea

annasea

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 13 August 2006 - 08:18 PM

I read what I thought was a very good suggestion on another board -- allow carry-ons onboard but lock the overhead carry-on compartments and I guess, allow nothing (or very little) under the seats. No, passengers won't have access to their articles during the flight, but at least they'll be able to secure their expensive items. :)

#26 Basslet

Basslet

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,463 posts
  • Cert Level:OW
  • Logged Dives:150

Posted 14 August 2006 - 08:58 AM

I read what I thought was a very good suggestion on another board -- allow carry-ons onboard but lock the overhead carry-on compartments and I guess, allow nothing (or very little) under the seats. No, passengers won't have access to their articles during the flight, but at least they'll be able to secure their expensive items. :P

I think that would only work if there was a universal lock that could unlock them all at the same time. Can you imagine the delay getting off waiting for the attendants to unlock each one individually?

#27 Diverbrian

Diverbrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI DiveCon/IANTD Normoxic Trimix.....
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 14 August 2006 - 09:31 AM

I read what I thought was a very good suggestion on another board -- allow carry-ons onboard but lock the overhead carry-on compartments and I guess, allow nothing (or very little) under the seats. No, passengers won't have access to their articles during the flight, but at least they'll be able to secure their expensive items. :lmao:

I think that would only work if there was a universal lock that could unlock them all at the same time. Can you imagine the delay getting off waiting for the attendants to unlock each one individually?

Easily done, but imagine the delay if that lock malfunctioned :P . Still it may be the only way for business travellers who have to account for their laptops. Another nasty thought. What about those people (like most of us with new cars anymore) who have our keyless entry remotes ON the car key? Are the TSA going to tell us to check our car keys with checked baggage because of the potential to use these devices as detonators? I think that we need to face the facts that the old looser security restrictions are not coming back.
A person should be judged in this life not by the mistakes that they make nor by the number of them. Rather they are to be judged by their recovery from them.

#28 TonyL

TonyL

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:100

Posted 15 August 2006 - 11:38 AM

That no liquids policy began while I was on my way back home with no checked baggage. I was a little upset about the $5 worth of soap, shaving cream, and deoderant that I had to throw away but not nearly as incovenienced as the people around me who also got to enjoy my three days of air travel with no laundry and limited washing facilities. I did get to see some ladies throwing away expensive cosmetics.

Regarding the hassle of more intensive searches at the airports - it is the price we pay to not get killed. We tend to complain about things like that but we are currently in a war and there are many people who are more inconvenienced by it than just extended wait times.

#29 jextract

jextract

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,210 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor, Divemaster, Nitrox, Rescue, Wreck, ...
  • Logged Dives:120ish

Posted 15 August 2006 - 05:25 PM

Hey, even the French are raising their terror alert level!

Attached Images

• French.jpg

"Because I accept the definition, does not mean I accept the defined." -- ScubaHawk
"Love is blind but lust likes lacy panties" -- SanDiegoCarol
"If you're gonna be dumb, you'd better be tough." -- Phillip Manor
"If I know the answer I'll tell you the answer, and if I don't I'll just respond cleverly." -- Donald Rumsfeld

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users