• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Security alert has been raised

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 finGrabber

finGrabber

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,276 posts
  • Board Status:thinkin' about diving
  • Cert Level:DM; TDI Adv Nitrox and Deco Procedures
  • Logged Dives:1200 ish

Posted 10 August 2006 - 11:13 AM

Due to our security status being raised, everyone needs to be aware of new travel restrictions. I saw this on CNN.com this morning:

New security restrictions
"Due to the nature of the threat revealed by this investigation, we are prohibiting any liquids, including beverages, hair gels, and lotions from being carried on the airplane," a DHS statement said.

Increased security means airline passengers around the country should show up at least two hours early for all flights, an official with the Transportation Security Administration told CNN.

British and U.S. security agencies quickly moved to impose strict limits on carry-on items in the wake of Thursday's arrests, causing extended delays at airport security checkpoints.

The British Airports Authority said no hand luggage would be allowed onto planes leaving British airports until further notice.

We should all be more aware than ever and plan to pack most of your stuff in checked luggage

#2 Scubatooth

Scubatooth

I spend too much time on line

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts
  • Board Status:Omnes Qui Errant Non Pereunt!
  • Cert Level:Rec: DM -- Tec: Ext Range
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 10 August 2006 - 11:18 AM

saw this morning on the news and heard it all morning, this is nuts i guess driving is looking more like a option(even with high gas prices).

i have another comment on this but i wont go into it because of a TOS issue

A Novus Dies Has Adveho.... Occupo Dies

Where in the World is Tooth? ... Catch Me It You Can!

Traveling the World, Diving, and Photography, on my days off from saving lives as a Paramedic

#3 annasea

annasea

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 11:21 AM

I just read a thread about this on another board. Here's the LINK to the press release from Homeland Security.

#4 Guest_PlatypusMan_*

Guest_PlatypusMan_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 August 2006 - 03:02 PM

Due to our security status being raised, everyone needs to be aware of new travel restrictions. I saw this on CNN.com this morning:

New security restrictions

The British Airports Authority said no hand luggage would be allowed onto planes leaving British airports until further notice.

We should all be more aware than ever and plan to pack most of your stuff in checked luggage

We also need to make sure whether carry-on luggage will be allowed on either departure or return leg of our flights. Most folks are carrying high-dollar valuable items or medical necessities aboard, in order to assure that these items actually arrive with them on the same aircraft--or at all.

If it weren't for Customs, costs and other potential problems, I would ship my gear to Roatan ahead of time in order to preposition it on site--then do the reverse back to the U.S. when over.

PlatypusMan
...who may have to tell Sparky that he can't go to Roatan, after all...

#5 finGrabber

finGrabber

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,276 posts
  • Board Status:thinkin' about diving
  • Cert Level:DM; TDI Adv Nitrox and Deco Procedures
  • Logged Dives:1200 ish

Posted 10 August 2006 - 03:44 PM

PPM,

I think we are on a wait and see basis right now

But, plan on NOT being able to take carry-on's for now...I hope I'm wrong on this but I'd rather be diving than sitting on a dock of a bay, passing time

#6 Bubble2Bubble

Bubble2Bubble

Arkansas HH Planner

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • Board Status:Surface Interval Starting 08/2009
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver, Medic, Emergency First Responder, CPR/AED-Oxygen, Dry Suit, Nitrox.
  • Logged Dives:500+ Studing for my DM

Posted 10 August 2006 - 04:25 PM

due to current events it might be a good time to revisit this thread.
Renting Gear

B2B
Dive into Life and Live for Diving!
no trees were harmed while posting any of my messages,
however a significant number of electrons were inconvenienced.

Buy Lawn Mower and Chain Saw Parts at...
Amazon.com

#7 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,624 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 10 August 2006 - 05:28 PM

Please read this post from Homeland Security it is very informative.

It does not restrict carry on luggage unless you are traveling from England to the US. It does however preclude carrying any liquids or gels.

An exception is being made for baby formula and medicines but they will need to be checked by TSA.

The next SD trip is August to the Cooper River and then to Roatan over Labor Day. We will monitor this as time goes on but the guidelines are very reasonable as they stand and will most likely remain so as time progresses.

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#8 Scubatooth

Scubatooth

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts
  • Board Status:Omnes Qui Errant Non Pereunt!
  • Cert Level:Rec: DM -- Tec: Ext Range
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 10 August 2006 - 07:32 PM

sorry for the post above i took a article i read the wrong way that said that carry on was barred from all flights in US, which isnt the case for domestic but is barred on all british airways flights going into the UK

A Novus Dies Has Adveho.... Occupo Dies

Where in the World is Tooth? ... Catch Me It You Can!

Traveling the World, Diving, and Photography, on my days off from saving lives as a Paramedic

#9 ASDmike

ASDmike

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, EAN
  • Logged Dives:700ish

Posted 11 August 2006 - 09:57 AM

I flew twice yesterday and passed through security in both Atlanta and Dallas/Fort Worth. The UK exceptions may affect some folks flying to/from London gateways, but the biggest effect to us will be the tonnes of half-used toothpaste heading to our landfills. :thankyou:

Thinking as a diver heading on a dive trip, the key thing is to doublecheck your carryon bag and remove "sharps" AND now liquids/creams/jels/lotions. So, your dive knife and your .5 ounce tube of o-ring lube must go within your checked bag. (Even chapstick/lipstick was not allowed in carryon luggage)

Until things do settle down again, you do need to consider your departure airports for how bad security may or may not be. Atlanta only has three "-ish" security lines and the "non-Delta" line had some 700 people queued up yesterday morning. I was fortunate to be able to use the premium line-- which only had 50 people. And I was too scared to walk over and look at the lines near Delta... :lmao:

DFW was a snap. I walked right up to the x-ray machine. But then again, I used the "ultra-secret" security point for my American flight (E terminal). :cool2:
'06 - Fireworks on History, Singles Fantasy
'07 - Ancient Egypt/Red Sea Liveaboard
'08 - Bonaire Singles Week ...In STYLE!!!

#10 Terri

Terri

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,819 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:100+

Posted 11 August 2006 - 10:32 AM

DFW was a snap. I walked right up to the x-ray machine. But then again, I used the "ultra-secret" security point for my American flight (E terminal). :lmao:

DUDE!!!!! Don't give away the secret!!!!!!!!! :cool2: ( :thankyou: )
'I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead'...JB

#11 ASDmike

ASDmike

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, EAN
  • Logged Dives:700ish

Posted 11 August 2006 - 11:12 AM

DUDE!!!!! Don't give away the secret!!!!!!!!! :cool2: ( :respect: )

uhhhm... :lmao: well, I try to keep close the important stuff... Like when my bud, Mr. T went to the airport last and found out we now have to walk through a metal detector! :thankyou: Who wudda thunk!

But for my singledivers.com buds, I have no secrets... just stuff that stays on the island :respect:
'06 - Fireworks on History, Singles Fantasy
'07 - Ancient Egypt/Red Sea Liveaboard
'08 - Bonaire Singles Week ...In STYLE!!!

#12 Guest_TexasStarfish_*

Guest_TexasStarfish_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 August 2006 - 11:20 AM

What! No chapstick. I live on the stuff. :lmao:

It's also really a pain for all those contact lens wearers out there. I know that for long flights I would usually wear my glasses and put my lenses in upon arrival. Especially early morning flights.

What else can they take away?? :thankyou:

:cool2:

#13 Cold_H2O

Cold_H2O

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,498 posts
  • Logged Dives:lost count but back to keeping a log.

Posted 12 August 2006 - 04:43 PM

I flew home today from New Orleans.
They took my hand lotion ~ forgot I had some in my purse.
They also took my little tub of lip balm. I was allowed to keep my 2 chapsticks.
Not sure what made my tub of balm look more threatening over the sticks.

The hardest thing was not being allowed to carry a water bottle on the plane.
I always fly with a full 32 oz bottle and usually have it empty when I get off my last flight.

Liquids can go in your checked luggage but not in any carry on bags.
Well Behave Women Rarely Make History ~ Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Formerly known as gis_gal and name tattoo'd for a small bribe!

#14 Basslet

Basslet

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,463 posts
  • Cert Level:OW
  • Logged Dives:150

Posted 12 August 2006 - 05:11 PM

I flew home today from New Orleans.
They took my hand lotion ~ forgot I had some in my purse.
They also took my little tub of lip balm. I was allowed to keep my 2 chapsticks.
Not sure what made my tub of balm look more threatening over the sticks.

The hardest thing was not being allowed to carry a water bottle on the plane.
I always fly with a full 32 oz bottle and usually have it empty when I get off my last flight.

Liquids can go in your checked luggage but not in any carry on bags.

That's good news that they let you keep chapstick. I live on that stuff too. I wonder if they will let me keep it when we leave on Sat. Was your's the solid type that you screw out of a tube or the kind you squeeze out. I like the squeeze kind but I'll buy the other if they let me keep it.
I'll just keep asking the flight attendant for water the whole flight. That's all. You gott remain hydrated.

#15 Desert_Diver

Desert_Diver

Everyone knows me

• Charter Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI AOW, TDI Nitrox (does it really matter to you??)
  • Logged Dives:130 something

Posted 13 August 2006 - 10:18 AM

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain Security will not have, nor do they deserve, either one."
Thomas Jefferson

On average 40,000 die each year in auto accidents in the US. That's been a fairly stable number for well over 30 years.

120 people die in aircraft incidents.

Tell me again why we need TSA and Homeland Security?!? When we allow uncontrolled goons to set ridiculous security policies with NO regard for how much grief it causes the general public, the terrorists have won. Call me disgruntled, but I'd rather take my chances with the stinking terrorists than have 'security policies' set in place that WE have no control over. This latest one on liquids is purely idiotic. I can guess where it came from, but there's no hope in sight that the butt-heads in Homeland Security are gonna relax it anytime soon. That's the fundamental problem with 'security' restrictions.

George Orwell must be disgusted with us. '1984' was supposed to be fiction, and a warning. Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users