• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

FUTURE Houston Happy Hour PLANNING thread...

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Mitch0129

Mitch0129

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 919 posts
  • Cert Level:OW, AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:290

Posted 09 June 2004 - 04:40 PM

Hi Mitch...WELCOME to our little wild and fun place for singles to hang out and have a good time!  It looks like I might need to recruit you, SassyRabbit and Ebony Mermaid to help me do our first Houston Happy Hour! Of course you'll all want to join us at Athens which is only a few hours drive from you all July 23-25 or Sept 24-26 both of which will be LOADS of fun! (Trip details will be posted today!)

Let me know if you'd be interested in helping us 'corral' all of our Houston types for some Happy Hours and to join us at our official regional event...the last Athens event drew divers from Houston and Dallas of course...as well as New Mexico, Lubbock, TX; Arkansas, and Oklahoma! 

Kamala, thanks for you welcome! I would be happy to help you and work with SassyRabbit and EbonyMermaid to put together Houston-area events. I do plan to be at the Athens event in July.

Note: This thead broken off from Mitch's intro thread to allow for a planning thread.

Hey SR, Mitch and EM....here is a planning thread for you all to plan ideas for a Houston based happy hour. I hope we'll get to meet one, two, or all three of you not to mention ANYONE else from Houston this Saturday at Pappas Seafood at I45 feeder to IAH exit. We should be there about 4pm until ???

As for a regular happy hour....we had almost 200 people register at SeaSpace so once we contact them and invite them to join us...I suspect a few more from Houston will materalize! We might want to see how that fleshes out! In the meantime.... plan away!

Some thoughts and ideas:

1. Try to give about 3-4 weeks advance notice unless you are capitalizing on something like SD folks being in Houston departing on a trip!

2. You can plan something impromptu where people just show up or something more formal where we plan to get folks from Austin, Houston and maybe Dallas as well. Or you can plan to do some of both.

3. If doing a Happy Hour...several ideas have been tried and work well....for land locked destinations choosing a weekend night and negotiating Happy Hour prices all night, free food and 20-25% discounts off main courses works well on Tue & Wed evenings...typically slower nights. If doing a diving destination happy hour then combining diving and a happy hour works well like Florida and California.

Let me know what I can do to help and I look forward to seeing you all VERY soon! Kamala aka Wreck Wench

Edited by WreckWench, 10 June 2004 - 05:50 PM.

-Mitch-

#2 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,649 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 09 June 2004 - 08:48 PM

Hi Mitch...WELCOME to our little wild and fun place for singles to hang out and have a good time!  It looks like I might need to recruit you, SassyRabbit and Ebony Mermaid to help me do our first Houston Happy Hour! Of course you'll all want to join us at Athens which is only a few hours drive from you all July 23-25 or Sept 24-26 both of which will be LOADS of fun! (Trip details will be posted today!)

Let me know if you'd be interested in helping us 'corral' all of our Houston types for some Happy Hours and to join us at our official regional event...the last Athens event drew divers from Houston and Dallas of course...as well as New Mexico, Lubbock, TX; Arkansas, and Oklahoma! 

Kamala, thanks for you welcome! I would be happy to help you and work with SassyRabbit and EbonyMermaid to put together Houston-area events. I do plan to be at the Athens event in July.

AWESOME!!! Now to get the gals to say yes and we are on our way! Speaking of which...there is a group of us heading to Bonaire on Sunday early am so are coming into Houston on Sat to do dinner and hook up with friends. You might want to join us...we'll be doing dinner at Pappas Seafood Rest right at the exit for IAH. Not sure of the time yet...probably around 7pm...let me know if you are interested in meeting some of the gang....we'd love to have you or ANY of our new Houston friends join us! -ww

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#3 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,649 posts

Posted 10 June 2004 - 01:00 PM

Kamala/Mitch -

Happy to help pull together a Houston area group. Unfortunately I'll miss the next Athens trip but hope to make it in Sept. However, that won't stop me from getting in on some of the action in Houston!

SR

P.S. I know Ebonymermaid also has some ideas about a HOuston group.....

Awesome! I'm looking forward to meeting you all....and maybe we can meet some of you all at Pappa's Seafood on Saturday when we head to Houston for our Bonaire trip in the morning! Not sure the time yet but it will be Sat afternoon/evening!

We could even talk more about you all organizing some Houston Happy Hours for us! Like that would be "HHH" for short!!! LOL! :D

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!

formerly...

#4 Mitch0129

Mitch0129

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 919 posts
  • Cert Level:OW, AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:290

Posted 10 June 2004 - 04:49 PM

Kamala/Mitch -

Happy to help pull together a Houston area group. Unfortunately I'll miss the next Athens trip but hope to make it in Sept. However, that won't stop me from getting in on some of the action in Houston!

SR

P.S. I know Ebonymermaid also has some ideas about a HOuston group.....

Well, I am thinking that the Houston contigient of SD.com might think about a dive day by the end of June so we can meet each other, maybe the weekend of June 19-20th at Twin Lakes. If we do that, I will probably have to come on Sunday.

I also know that the Bay Area Divers club is having their dive picnic on the weekend of the 26th at Blue Lagoon, guests are welcome if anyone wanted to do that. I do have the details which I will be glad to post.

As for a happy hour, well, I would like to get a feel of where you would like to meet up. I know some organizations like to meet at City Streets which is at Richmond and Loop 610 in the Galleria area but trying to get in that area these days came be a nightmare due to the construction on the West Loop.

I was thinking maybe at one of the places on the South Loop feeder between Kirby and Buffalo Speedway near Reliant Stadium. Right off-hand, I know there is a Joe's Crab Shack, Pappasito's, and a Pappadeau's. What do you think?
-Mitch-

#5 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,649 posts

Posted 10 June 2004 - 05:45 PM

Hey SR, Mitch and EM....here is a planning thread for you all to plan ideas for a Houston based happy hour. I hope we'll get to meet one, two, or all three of you not to mention ANYONE else from Houston this Saturday at Pappas Seafood at I45 feeder to IAH exit. We should be there about 4pm until ???

As for a regular happy hour....we had almost 200 people register at SeaSpace so once we contact them and invite them to join us...I suspect a few more from Houston will materalize! We might want to see how that fleshes out! In the meantime.... plan away!

Some thoughts and ideas:

1. Try to give about 3-4 weeks advance notice unless you are capitalizing on something like SD folks being in Houston departing on a trip!

2. You can plan something impromptu where people just show up or something more formal where we plan to get folks from Austin, Houston and maybe Dallas as well. Or you can plan to do some of both.

3. If doing a Happy Hour...several ideas have been tried and work well....for land locked destinations choosing a weekend night and negotiating Happy Hour prices all night, free food and 20-25% discounts off main courses works well on Tue & Wed evenings...typically slower nights. If doing a diving destination happy hour then combining diving and a happy hour works well like Florida and California.

Let me know what I can do to help and I look forward to seeing you all VERY soon! Kamala aka Wreck Wench

formerly...

#6 scubahoney

scubahoney

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:20ish

Posted 15 June 2004 - 09:07 PM

Hey guys, I will be attending Houston Happy Hours soon....make room for me!!! I can't wait to meet those of you who i haven't met yet.
ZD-I'll kick you if you don't go when I am down in Houston!
The greatest resource of the ocean is not material but the boundless spring of inspiration and well-being we gain from her.
~Jacques Cousteau

#7 zendiver

zendiver

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,082 posts
  • Cert Level:AI
  • Logged Dives:1011

Posted 16 June 2004 - 08:02 AM

Sounds like a HOOT to me. You can definitely count me in and I will help all that I can.

SH - you know darlin that I will be there.
[color=blue]Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body;
But rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming--"WOW--What a ride!"

#8 scubahoney

scubahoney

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts

Posted 17 June 2004 - 09:05 PM

ZD- promise to hold my hand? It will be my first ocean dive, you know
The greatest resource of the ocean is not material but the boundless spring of inspiration and well-being we gain from her.
~Jacques Cousteau

#9 zendiver

zendiver

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,082 posts
  • Cert Level:AI
  • Logged Dives:1011

Posted 17 June 2004 - 09:18 PM

SH - better yet, if I can get on a trip as a stow away, I will be your dive buddy for the trip. Deal?
[color=blue]Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body;
But rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming--"WOW--What a ride!"

#10 scubahoney

scubahoney

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts

Posted 17 June 2004 - 09:27 PM

am I gonna be a stow away too?!
~Jacques Cousteau

#11 TheSassyRabbit

TheSassyRabbit

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts
  • Cert Level:Divemaster/Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:>750

Posted 19 June 2004 - 06:00 PM

SH-

Will you be visiting us in HOuston, or moving to Houston??

SR

#12 scubahoney

scubahoney

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts

Posted 19 June 2004 - 07:39 PM

SR-I am actually moving to Galveston...close enough to Houston to not be visiting, I think...hopefully I will be going to all of your future hhour events after june.
Look forward to meeting you and everyone else out that way!
~Jacques Cousteau

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users