• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Lessons learned on the Oriskany

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 15 August 2006 - 07:07 PM

The setup:

Four divers plan to charter a boat to dive the USS Oriskany. A sunken Aircraft carrier off the coast of Pensacola, FL. Three of the divers are familiar with each other, have trained together, and have been diving together. One diver, me, is new to the group. Two of the regulars are doing a decompression dive to approximately 160ft. The other two divers are planning a "recreational" profile.

Pre-meeting communication:

Attempts to contact my recreational dive plan buddy were problematic, and the first real communication was 2 days prior to meeting face to face for the first time. No real dive plan was laid out. My dive plan would have to be done without my partner, and then discussed the night before the dive.

At the fill station:

Since the dive was to be recreational the gas choice was EAN32. This would allow for fewer bubbles, and more bottom time inside NDL. EAN32 has a 1.4 pp02 at 111 and 1.6 at 132ft. The large flight deck of the Oriskany lies at 135ft. Mix choice was not changed understanding that if things went south, the deck could be used temporarily if need be.

Pre-Dive:

Profile of the ship was discussed. Island starts at approximately 70ft, control deck is at about 110ft, flight deck at 135, hangar deck at 160, sand is at 212. Dive plan was put forth to limit soft bottom at 100ft, and hard limit of 110 was set. MOD 132ft. During dive planning, dive buddy's opinion was solicited, but no discussion was forthcoming. It was determined that dive buddy had not done gas planning, or deco stop planning. Intended plan was to "dive his computer". I acknowledged that plan, and left my plan in place as a backup or bailout. Other two divers did their dive plan on tables.

Dive day:

Trip to the Oriskany was uneventful, taking about 55 minutes from engines fired to preparation to tie in. Captain announced once on site, that he would be splashing with the recreational divers. This was not discussed prior. Waivers divers were asked to sign indicated that no free descent or ascent would be possible, and that divers were to keep hands on the line all the way down and all the way up.

Dive conditions:

Air was about 86F degrees, surface temps were in the lower 80s. Temp at max depth was about 78F. Surface current was brisk and swimming against it difficult. Current was strong but manageable at 75ft.

Chain of errors:

1. Dive buddy learns during pre-dive, that he has forgotten his computer. He now has no depth or time measuring ability and will be reliant upon his buddy for that information. (Yellow Flag 1)

2. Captain splashed with the recreational divers though he had done no planning with the team. Effectively turning a buddy recreational dive into a loose team of three. (RED FLAG 1)

3. Upon descent to the island, captain proceeds to begin a strong flutter kick into the current to swim around the island. He does NOT check to see the position of the divers behind him. (Red Flag 2)

4. My dive buddy elects to try to match pace with the captain while I am keeping a slow and steady pace. I quickly realize that if I do not keep up, I am going to be a solo diver at 100ft. I choose to try to keep pace. (Yellow Flag 2)

5. After working above my comfort, I signal hold to the team to catch my breath. We are now at 110ft. After about 10 seconds, the captain takes off again, down to the railing. My buddy turns and leaves me yet again to follow the captain. I follow them around the back side of the island and around to the swim through that the captain wants to take us through. I call hold again. Check my gas, and check my depth. I am now at 121ft. I debate thumbing the dive. I elect to continue the dive, but pass on the swim through. I have now violated my soft and hard limit for the dive (Red Flag 3), I have violated recommended MOD (Red Flag 4), but do not worsen my situation by entering an overhead while tired, and mildly narced.

6. I elect to meet the divers on the other end of the swimthrough, so I am solo for a short time.

7. Upon meeting up with the divers again, we begin our ascent. We move up at a safe pace to the 70ft line, and spend a bit of time there swimming to the ascent line. I check my gas again. My dive buddy has not yet asked about my gas supply and has not checked on my welfare. MY mask has flooded at least 5 times in the 20 minutes we've been underwater at this point, and he's seen it a few of those times. (Yellow Flag 3).

8. On ascent, I ignore the hand over hand on the line instruction because the vertical position is making my mask flood. For the first time in the dive, I am actually relaxed and in full control. I slow my ascent at 20ft and we head to the tag line at 15ft. We do our safety stop there, getting moved around a bit by the current/surge.

9. We struggle our way to the ladder which has become unhinged and make our exit. As I sit on the stern of the boat, I ask the DM to take certain pieces of gear so I can just relax a moment before doing anything strenuous.

10, I sit down in the boat, open the large cooler in the back, and see there are only a couple of waters. At this time I realize that the captain had not brought anything for the divers to drink. (Red Flag 5). Fortunately, I have brought my own gallon of Gatorade. I am feeling a bit nauseated, and a bit tired. I collect my thoughts and do a quick post dive analysis in my head. I make the decision not to splash any more that day. After about 45 minutes on the surface, I communicate this decision to my dive buddy and the captain.

I proceeded to simply sit in the boat for the remaining 3 hours we are onsite. I further reflect on my dive, what I did wrong and what I could have done better.

Takeaways from the dive:

1. Doing a dive that will push the recreational limits with someone who is "riding a computer" is a challenge. It obfusticates proper planning and protocol. There was no way I could attempt to teach someone about deep stops, slow ascents, profile shape, spending time shallow, etc., the night before the dive.

2. The pre-dive brief was inadequate. There was no discussed team protocol. The captain should NOT have splashed or should have clearly mentioned his intention to do so prior to arriving on site to allow proper plan to write him into the dive plan. My buddy was not familiar with 3 man team protocol and abandoned his dive buddy to follow the captain. I was not able to communicate effectively with him underwater to stay with me.

3. When my dive buddy realized his computer was not with him, he should have thumbed the dive. Period. In his absence of doing that, I should have done it myself.

4. I should NOT have allowed the captain to dictate the profile but left with a choice of violating my plan or diving solo, I chose to violate my plan. This one has kept me up nights. It can be argued either way. Yes I was in doubles. Yes I could have done an effective ascent on my own. However, surface support was weak, there was a strong current, we were tied in, in such a way as to make getting the boat untied to follow my bag would have been difficult. I was also secure in my understanding that I had left margin for error and could have gone to the deck if NEED be.

5. I wanted to do a deep stop, but our time spent at 70ft sufficed, but was not optimal. The ascent to 15ft was a bit faster than I would have liked, but still within recreational limits.

6. The decision to not splash for the other dives was prudent, and I feel the correct decision.

7. My obsessive nature about hydration saved the day for me since I was the only diver who had adequate supply of liquid post dive.

Summary:

Know when to call a dive. The correct time to do so on this occasion would have been before entering the water. Once commited to the dive, stick to your plan.

Do NOT let others change your plan for you.

Communicate the dive plan clearly to all members of the team.

Choose your buddies well on dives that will stretch your limits.

Edited by PerroneFord, 15 August 2006 - 08:26 PM.

#2 ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts
  • Cert Level:Course Director; CCR Instructor
  • Logged Dives:2000+

Posted 15 August 2006 - 07:23 PM

Thanks for posting. It's not easy to make these posts, and you deserve credit for doing it. As long as you 1) live after the experience (without injury), and 2) learn from it, you get another chance next time.

We've all been there and done that. It's just a question of who is willing to admit it.
"The most important thing is not to stop questioning." Albert Einstein

"For the diligent diver, closed circuit rebreathers are actually safer than open circuit scuba." Tom Mount

#3 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 15 August 2006 - 07:33 PM

I am egoless when it comes to this kind of thing. I could care less about putting my errors out there to be scrutinized. However, I am far less enthusiastic about doing it when I feel blame falls partly outside my control. I don't like condemning the actions of others, especially when they don't have the opportunity to defend themselves.

I tried to make this post from a purely factual perspective, to the best of my recollection. The Co2 production was increasing my narc, and I am certain there are missing details. I have studied my profile to try to understand thnigs better and scrutinize the timing, and ascent patterns.

#4 gcbryan

gcbryan

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts
  • Logged Dives:620

Posted 15 August 2006 - 08:13 PM

Great post Perrone. In my opinion your last statement says it all:

"Choose your buddies well on dives that will stretch your limits."

Regarding unplanned for 3rd "buddies" I would just ignore one (unfortunately your buddy followed him so you couldn't just ignore him).

Sitting out the next dive shows good judgement. Not wanting to do extreme excercise underwater mirror's my feelings completely. No need to pass out just to get somewhere quicker.

As other's have said, I would just consider this a learning experience which is what experience is. The mistakes were largely caused by others.

Again, great post.

#5 sunshinediver

sunshinediver

People are starting to get to know me

• Professional
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor trainer with SEI and CMAS; HSA (divers with disabilities) and DAN instructor; tech
  • Logged Dives:2312

Posted 15 August 2006 - 08:59 PM

Perrone,

I am so sorry to hear of your experience on your USS Oriskany dive. Your posting was a great lesson, though. Please come dive with me some time...I am a good buddy! :thankyou:

I went diving there last weekend. It was amazing. I will post a dive report separately, but I also ended up with a new buddy but carefully went over procedures beforehand. What he didn't tell me (despite saying that he was a DM) was that he relied on his computer and did a 25+ minute deco stop when it was unnecessary, and even after we had discussed safety stops. Still, I'd rather cut the time on the dive short- as we did- and have too long of a safety stop, than err on the other side of caution.

Okay, so when are we gonna dive the Oriskany together? :cool1:

#6 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 15 August 2006 - 09:04 PM

We can dive together some time. I've got class in a week, so that takes care of this month. Maybe in September.

I'm not doing the Oriskany again until I can do it on Trimix.

#7 6Gill

6Gill

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts
  • Logged Dives:100+

Posted 15 August 2006 - 09:14 PM

Just want to add my thanks for a great post....

#8 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 16 August 2006 - 07:20 AM

Excellent job on the lessons learned.
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#9 jextract

jextract

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,210 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor, Divemaster, Nitrox, Rescue, Wreck, ...
  • Logged Dives:120ish

Posted 16 August 2006 - 11:17 AM

Great report, thanks for sharing. Question though, and I don't mean this in any context other than educating others: is it prudent to choose that EAN mix of 32 with an MOD of 132 ft. with your "fail-safe" being the flight deck at 135 ft.? Of course this assumes you're not locked in having to fill banked and can fill partial-pressure.
"Because I accept the definition, does not mean I accept the defined." -- ScubaHawk
"Love is blind but lust likes lacy panties" -- SanDiegoCarol
"If you're gonna be dumb, you'd better be tough." -- Phillip Manor
"If I know the answer I'll tell you the answer, and if I don't I'll just respond cleverly." -- Donald Rumsfeld

#10 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 16 August 2006 - 11:38 AM

Great report, thanks for sharing. Question though, and I don't mean this in any context other than educating others: is it prudent to choose that EAN mix of 32 with an MOD of 132 ft. with your "fail-safe" being the flight deck at 135 ft.? Of course this assumes you're not locked in having to fill banked and can fill partial-pressure.

As opposed to what? Running 29%? Which would put me at 1.4 (or close) on the deck? As with anything, it's a trade off. I will ALWAYS choose the best mix for my intended depth if I am wiling to assume the consequences that would arise in an emergency. In this case, the decision was to either dive air which I could have taken to the sand if necessary, or dive some EAN mix. I knew it would put me at 1.42 to go to the deck. It was a risk I was willing to take to have the benefit of 30+ minutes of NDL at my intended depth. Had the flight deck not been available, I would have chosen air, and planned a shorter dive.

Good question though and highlights the need for prudent gas planning. And it also illustrates the dangers of using "best mix" for midwater dives. I do not advocate the practice.

#11 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic
  • Logged Dives:too many logged, too many not logged...:)

Posted 16 August 2006 - 11:55 AM

In this case, the decision was to either dive air which I could have taken to the sand if necessary, or dive some EAN mix. I knew it would put me at 1.42 to go to the deck. It was a risk I was willing to take to have the benefit of 30+ minutes of NDL at my intended depth.

I am confused. You said you chose and dove a mix of EAN32. And then here you said you knew it would put you at a 1.42 on the deck, which you said was at 135fsw? Doesn't a mix of EAN32 put you at a 1.62 at 135fsw? I typically reserve going to a 1.6 only while "at rest" like on a deco stop. I wouldn't want to be at a 1.6+ at depth in an emergency mode - that's when the stress level, breathing rate, and exertion can be in excess. That's just my opinion, however, so I had wondered the same thing as Jexy also only in an educational context.
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#12 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 16 August 2006 - 12:07 PM

In this case, the decision was to either dive air which I could have taken to the sand if necessary, or dive some EAN mix. I knew it would put me at 1.42 to go to the deck. It was a risk I was willing to take to have the benefit of 30+ minutes of NDL at my intended depth.

I am confused. You said you chose and dove a mix of EAN32. And then here you said you knew it would put you at a 1.42 on the deck, which you said was at 135fsw? Doesn't a mix of EAN32 put you at a 1.62 at 135fsw? I typically reserve going to a 1.6 only while "at rest" like on a deco stop. I wouldn't want to be at a 1.6+ at depth in an emergency mode - that's when the stress level, breathing rate, and exertion can be in excess. That's just my opinion, however, so I had wondered the same thing as Jexy also only in an educational context.

Typo.. good catch.

I guess that depends on what most people would call an emergency. In this case the only thing that would have put me on the deck would have been a wing failure. If that were the case, I would have been standing on the deck of an aircraft carrier with about half an hour's worth of gas on my back. I see that as a pretty relaxed scenario.

I do not disagree that planning a dive where a mix of 1.6 can be attained is a good idea, but it's a risk we all take. When comparing diving EAN32 over a hard deck, or diving EAN32 on a wall, which would you say is the more safe?

Edited by PerroneFord, 16 August 2006 - 12:12 PM.

#13 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 16 August 2006 - 12:48 PM

Personally, I wouldn't use EAN 32 on either.
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#14 jextract

jextract

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,210 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor, Divemaster, Nitrox, Rescue, Wreck, ...
  • Logged Dives:120ish

Posted 16 August 2006 - 01:17 PM

I do not disagree that planning a dive where a mix of 1.6 can be attained is a good idea, but it's a risk we all take. When comparing diving EAN32 over a hard deck, or diving EAN32 on a wall, which would you say is the more safe?

With all due respect, no ... it's not. I never under any circumstance plan a dive that an emergency will get me over 1.4, ever. Granted, I may be more conservative than you are, but I like to have a little more screw-up room. Personally, I wouldn't have chosen a mix richer than 28%, but that's me.
"Because I accept the definition, does not mean I accept the defined." -- ScubaHawk
"Love is blind but lust likes lacy panties" -- SanDiegoCarol
"If you're gonna be dumb, you'd better be tough." -- Phillip Manor
"If I know the answer I'll tell you the answer, and if I don't I'll just respond cleverly." -- Donald Rumsfeld

#15 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,592 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 16 August 2006 - 02:03 PM

3. When my dive buddy realized his computer was not with him, he should have thumbed the dive. Period. In his absence of doing that, I should have done it myself.

This one is a stickler for many divers. Some say you can both dive a computer IF you stay above the diver with a computer. Others say 'no way not ever'. I know I've been the diver before that didn't have my computer and I've been with a diver before that did have a computer.

Perhaps the decision is more contingent on whether you KNOW the dive buddy and how well. How extreme the dive is...this dive was deep therefore less room for error. Diving on one of the Florida reefs is entirely different.

Knowing what you know now you will probably make a different decision next time...but after spending all the time and effort and money to make a trip...people rarely want to lose a dive for any reasons...even a good one.

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users