• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Backplate & Wings ... brand differences?

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 jextract

jextract

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,210 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor, Divemaster, Nitrox, Rescue, Wreck, ...
  • Logged Dives:120ish

Posted 23 August 2006 - 11:00 AM

Given that there's such a great resource base here in the area of BP/W, I was wondering if any of you could help share some of the things you like and dislike about various brands of them. What should I look for? What should I avoid?
"Because I accept the definition, does not mean I accept the defined." -- ScubaHawk
"Love is blind but lust likes lacy panties" -- SanDiegoCarol
"If you're gonna be dumb, you'd better be tough." -- Phillip Manor
"If I know the answer I'll tell you the answer, and if I don't I'll just respond cleverly." -- Donald Rumsfeld

#2 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 23 August 2006 - 11:15 AM

Jamie, although I own one (Dive Rite Al) I don't dive it regularly because I prefer my X-Tek soft backpack, harness and wing. I have dived mine, an early Halcyon and a Deep Sea Supply rig.

As for product quality, I greatly prefer the DSS. Tobin, Al and crew do a great job with their product. I also like my Dive Rite (which I bought primarily for when I use doubles... something approaching in my future). The early Halcyon plate was IMHO a piece of junk. It was an unfinished plate with serious burrs that tore apart the harness webbing. It made me question Halcyon's commitment to quality especially given the premium price. Felt the same way about their Pioneer singles wing.

I find my soft backpack conforms better to my body, seems more stable with the tank (important when I film... don't need to have it shift while I'm filming a rare critter) and was generally more comfortable than the BP/W set-ups. However, in their defense, I may not have taken enough time to dial the BP/W's properly.

Edited by drbill, 25 September 2006 - 04:54 PM.

#3 solodiver in nj

solodiver in nj

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts
  • Cert Level:aow
  • Logged Dives:+/-300 ? (not logged)

Posted 23 August 2006 - 11:43 AM

Jamie,
I have been thinking about getting a new backplate and wing so I have been doing alittle research. This does not actually answer your question, I know but may lead to other pointed questions when you speak to whoever you will purchase from. This will be ongoing, but here is what I have gathered so far:

OMS-
Cover: 1000 denier cordura backed with 5 oz. urethane
Bladder: urethane
Inflator:
Components: no information available
Length of hose: no information available

Oxycheq-
Cover: 1000 denier cordura
Bladder: bladderless (the razor), 12 mil (the vertex) or 25 mil (signature series)
Inflator:
Components: plastic
Length of hose: 14" hose

Apeks-
Cover: 1000D Armorshield Cordura
Bladder: hi-viz yellow, mil-spec material (?)
Inflator:
Components: (brass buttons) no info on components available

Halcyon-
Cover: 1680 ballistic nylon outer shell
Bladder: 400 denier nylon
Inflator: non-serviceable OEM power inflator standard
Halcyon Precision Inflator optional:
Components: nickel-plated brass valve components

Personally, I am leaning toward the Oxycheq wing, as I like what I see and feel about it. Again, probably doesn't help you, but I find the easiest thing for me to do prior to purchasing an item is to list basic components and see how they all compare. Then as you are doing, solicit responses from people who actually use the stuff.
Mark

p.s. To answer your question, I dive an oms wing and stainless plate. I find that I do not need the weight of the stainless plate when diving my doubles, but helps when using singles. I also find that the inflator/exhaust hose irritates the crap (sorry) out of me, as it always floats behind my shoulder. I believe it probably has something to do with the length of the hose and the location of the exhaust fitting coming out of the wing. Let me know how YOU make out!

#4 gcbryan

gcbryan

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts
  • Logged Dives:620

Posted 23 August 2006 - 11:55 AM

To answer your question, I dive an oms wing and stainless plate. I find that I do not need the weight of the stainless plate when diving my doubles, but helps when using singles. I also find that the inflator/exhaust hose irritates the crap (sorry) out of me, as it always floats behind my shoulder. I believe it probably has something to do with the length of the hose and the location of the exhaust fitting coming out of the wing. Let me know how YOU make out!

A loop of 1/8" bungee threaded through the center section of your chest D-ring will allow you to run your inflator hose through that and it will not be able to float behind your shoulder. You can have another loop on your strap and run your inflator hose through that.

That's what I do anyway.

Edited by gcbryan, 24 August 2006 - 01:01 AM.

#5 gcbryan

gcbryan

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts
  • Logged Dives:620

Posted 23 August 2006 - 11:59 AM

Given that there's such a great resource base here in the area of BP/W, I was wondering if any of you could help share some of the things you like and dislike about various brands of them. What should I look for? What should I avoid?

I have the DSS BP/W. I've seen others but haven't tried them. I did try out the DSS BP before I bought it. The finish is excellent with DSS and the slots are lined with a hard plastic like material so triglides aren't required with the waist strap and it should be easier on the straps as well. You don't need a STA with DSS. I went with the hogarthian strap set-up. I have no complaints.

Edited by gcbryan, 23 August 2006 - 12:00 PM.

#6 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,719 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 23 August 2006 - 01:31 PM

SingleDivers.com REALLY likes DSS aka Deep Sea Supply! And we have some added perks with the company so let us know if you are seriously planning on a purchase.

I have found that this company has features/benefits that exceed those of other manufacturers in the industry AND they are usually a greater value for the pocketbook as well!

And SD can get colored wings so if you want to express some orginality...Deep Sea Supply has got you covered! -ww

Deep Sea Supply! And we have some added perks with the company so let us know if you are seriously planning on a purchase.

I have found that this company has features/benefits that exceed those of other manufacturers in the industry AND they are usually a greater value for the pocketbook as well!

And SD can get colored wings so if you want to express some orginality...Deep Sea Supply has got you covered! -ww

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#7 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,719 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 23 August 2006 - 01:33 PM

Bladderless vs Bladder...

One benefit of a bladder is that if you damage the bladder it is repairable. If you damage a bladderless wing it is disposable.

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#8 ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts
  • Cert Level:Course Director; CCR Instructor
  • Logged Dives:2000+

Posted 23 August 2006 - 06:46 PM

I have had Dive Rite back plates, and I have owned Halcyon back plates. The Halcyon aluminum plate required a lot of surgery to keep from cutting through the webbing but is otherwise fine.

If I were in the market for a new plate, I would likely get the DSS.

Just a note: the holes in the various back plates do not always line up with other equipment such as storage pouches from other companies. Usually, you can just drill some extra holes where needed. However, if you don't want to get involved in this, make sure to choose accordingly.
"The most important thing is not to stop questioning." Albert Einstein

"For the diligent diver, closed circuit rebreathers are actually safer than open circuit scuba." Tom Mount

#9 solodiver in nj

solodiver in nj

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts
  • Cert Level:aow
  • Logged Dives:+/-300 ? (not logged)

Posted 23 August 2006 - 08:45 PM

To answer your question, I dive an oms wing and stainless plate. I find that I do not need the weight of the stainless plate when diving my doubles, but helps when using singles. I also find that the inflator/exhaust hose irritates the crap (sorry) out of me, as it always floats behind my shoulder. I believe it probably has something to do with the length of the hose and the location of the exhaust fitting coming out of the wing. Let me know how YOU make out!

A loop of 1/8" bungee threaded the center section of your chest D-ring will allow you to run your inflator hose through that and it will not be able to float behind your shoulder. You can have along loop on your strap and run your inflator hose through that.

That's what I do anyway.

Thanks, I'll try it. I must have actually become accustomed to this annoyance, because I keep forgetting about it, that is until I splash and have to go to look for it.

#10 jextract

jextract

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 25 September 2006 - 11:25 AM

Well, I decided to go with the Halcyon Explorer. I'm also now divin' the long hose ... an interesting conversion but I see the value in it.
"Because I accept the definition, does not mean I accept the defined." -- ScubaHawk
"If I know the answer I'll tell you the answer, and if I don't I'll just respond cleverly." -- Donald Rumsfeld

#11 annasea

annasea

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 25 September 2006 - 11:30 AM

Well, I decided to go with the Halcyon Explorer.

May I ask why? (I'm hoping to try diving next month in a BP/W so I'm quite interested in what other people dive and why.)

#12 jextract

jextract

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 25 September 2006 - 11:54 AM

Several reasons. Primarily, I really liked the feel and construction of the Halcyon. Things seemed to be indestructable and located (e.g. the inflator and dump) in exactly the logical place. I like the doughnut shape of the wing. And it came highly recommended by several people I trust.

#13 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 25 September 2006 - 12:03 PM

I'm surprised there hasn't been more posting on this.

Ok,

I own

1. Halcyon SS Backplate
1. Halcyon Pioneer 27# wing
1. Dive Rite Classic 59# wing
1. DSS Torus 45# wing

I have used:

1. Oxycheq 40# wing with SS plate
1. Golem Gear 36# wing with SS plate
1 Halcyon Evolve 40#

I have held in my hands

Nearly all Oxychecq wings
All Golem wings
All Dive Rite wings (except the 100#, and the small bungie wings)
OMS Larry Green wing, 60# and 100# bungiee wings
All Agir Brokk doubles and singles wings
All Halcyon wings
2 Seatec doubles wings (unknown lift)
DSS Kydex backplate

The BP and harness from nearly anyone is roughly the same. A pound here or there. Some are flatter, some have more relief. I cannot think of a manufacturer I would not buy a metal backplate from. For non-metal, I'd only buy the DSS.

The primary choices one will be making when buying a wing are:

1. Lift capacity
2. Material and construction
3. Wing shape

Lift capacity is determined by your exposure suit and tank choice. Materials come down to whether you want a bag in a bladder, or the bladderless design. Bladderless is great for it's light weight and how small it folds. Bags in a bladder are tougher and can take more abuse. Wing shape determines where you will get the most lift from a wing. It also helps determine how streamlined a wing will be.

I have seen only a few crappy wings. And they were crappy for different reasons. Some had poor shapes. Some had weak construction, others had mismatched or unsuitable accesssories on them.

I would STRONGLY suggest diving the wing you want to buy before paying because you may find it unsuitable. For singles this isn't too big an issue, but it is with doubles. I would also recommend donut shaped over horseshoe shaped, especially for doubles.

I'd be happy to try and answer specific questions.

#14 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 25 September 2006 - 12:04 PM

Several reasons. Primarily, I really liked the feel and construction of the Halcyon. Things seemed to be indestructable and located (e.g. the inflator and dump) in exactly the logical place. I like the doughnut shape of the wing. And it came highly recommended by several people I trust.

Does yours have the stainless steel inflator or the plastic?

#15 jextract

jextract

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 25 September 2006 - 12:29 PM

Plastic, and the serial number's not on the recall list.

Thanks much for asking, though.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users