• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

DIR Divers

• Please log in to reply
99 replies to this topic

Poll: DIR Divers (30 member(s) have cast votes)

Who Does It?

1. I want to do it but don't know enough about it or where to get the training (4 votes [13.33%])

Percentage of vote: 13.33%

2. I have learned about it, and I am not interested (state your reasons) (4 votes [13.33%])

3. I have learned about it, and I am planning on doing some of this training (3 votes [10.00%])

Percentage of vote: 10.00%

4. I am taking this training right now, and I like it (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

5. I am taking this training, and I probably won't stick with it (0 votes [0.00%])

6. I have done this training, and I am going to get more involved with it (1 votes [3.33%])

Percentage of vote: 3.33%

7. I have done this training, and I will use what I got from it in some ways (4 votes [13.33%])

8. I have done this training, and I will strictly follow it (0 votes [0.00%])

9. I have done this training, and I really won't use most of it (0 votes [0.00%])

10. I haven't done the training but have still learned about it and use some of it (9 votes [30.00%])

Percentage of vote: 30.00%

11. I haven't learned about it, and I'm not interested in learning about it (5 votes [16.67%])

Percentage of vote: 16.67%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#91 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 07:56 PM

LOL!

Putting on my single tank is like not wearing gear. However, I am surprised by what you say about LP85s. They are shorter than AL80s. Are you less than 5ft tall? LP85s are only about 25" long.

Cave class was brutal. 5mm 2 piece wetsuit in Florida summer temps. Two 108s or 104s on my back (44# each without the regs or manifold), an AL80 stage, can light, 2 backup lights, reels, and for my first dive, I had a 16# weight belt! I had over 150# of gear on me for my walk across the sandy beach to the water. I was able to trim that back to about 135 for the other 9 dives!

Good thing this class didn't have scooters!

Things equal out I guess. I probably get FAR less time on an AL80 than you do. MY SAC rate is frightening high, so I need the big tanks. I really need to work on my fitness more.

-P

And while I enjoy the versatility in diving doubles affords, thus I dive them whenever appropriate, not everyone is built for diving doubles with the same ease as diving a single. Double LP85s hang down to the back of my mid thigh and the rig weighs in excess of 110lbs. That's a large load for a non-deep reef/shore dive in cold water, the key being cold water - we try to keep our dive times, even technical dive times, less than 75 minutes - any more than that is not optimal for body temps and offgasing. I can do 60-70 minute dives to varying depths on a single tank here in the PNW. So why go through all the lifting to dive doubles? No one configuration will be optimal at all times in all places for all people.

#92 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic
  • Logged Dives:too many logged, too many not logged...:)

Posted 19 September 2006 - 08:01 PM

Putting on my single tank is like not wearing gear. However, I am surprised by what you say about LP85s. They are shorter than AL80s.

I don't dive aluminum tanks (too long and too light in the water for PNW diving). I dive HP 80s. I am 65" tall. Don't forget the valves add about 3" making the tanks longer, which is not much less than half my body length. Where my doubles settle when standing (they always adjust up slightly once in the water) has the tanks below my bum! Blah! And even if they were shorter, they still weigh 110lbs+!! As women are not typically as strong as men, lifting a specific weight for us means we have to exert more strength/energy than our male counterpart. I assume that you as a coach know more about this than I.

I'm not complaining, however, it simply is how it is and I like the advantages of being a dive girl. I am just reminding you guys out there that while doubles may seem than a simple solution to you, you are not walking in a woman's shoes (or heels for that matter! :o ) And I am a firm believer in being able to manage/handle your equipment.
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#93 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 08:12 PM

Sorry sister, not buying it!

Every since I saw that small asian woman at Ginnie last winter (saw her several times) with twin 104s, a stage, deco bottles, and a Gavin.

This woman was not 5' tall, and had more than 200# of dive gear. She didn't move fast, but she moved! That gear probably weighed twice what she did!

She's my hero! To bad she was always there with her husband! :o

#94 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic
  • Logged Dives:too many logged, too many not logged...:)

Posted 19 September 2006 - 08:20 PM

Sorry sister, not buying it!

Every since I saw that small asian woman at Ginnie last winter (saw her several times) with twin 104s, a stage, deco bottles, and a Gavin.

This woman was not 5' tall, and had more than 200# of dive gear. She didn't move fast, but she moved! That gear probably weighed twice what she did!

She's my hero! To bad she was always there with her husband! :o

Again, not exactly my point. I can muttle my gear along from a vehicle to a spring opening, but that certainly does not describe every dive site in this world - we have numerous sites in my area that involve jumping guard rails, long hikes, long rocky jetty hikes, hikes through woods, hikes down rocky ledges, managing surf entries, and the list goes on. I would be happy to have that gal come and dive all of our sites in all of that gear and then get HER comments. I just do not see one configuration as optimal at all times in all places for all people.
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#95 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 08:31 PM

WHAT?! Come on now... whats a couple hundred pounds? A few months in the gym, and you'll be doing pushups with 104s on your back!

I'm just teasing ya. Sometimes I think women would be the best candidates for rebreathers. 13 or 19cuft tanks, generally lightweight, short on the back.

Lots of people look at CCRs just because they can CARRY them!

#96 ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts
  • Cert Level:Course Director; CCR Instructor
  • Logged Dives:2000+

Posted 19 September 2006 - 09:47 PM

WHAT?! Come on now... whats a couple hundred pounds? A few months in the gym, and you'll be doing pushups with 104s on your back!

I'm just teasing ya. Sometimes I think women would be the best candidates for rebreathers. 13 or 19cuft tanks, generally lightweight, short on the back.

Lots of people look at CCRs just because they can CARRY them!

I am much happier with my 61 pound Optima than I was with my double 120 PSTs, which I would guess were about 105 pounds full with valves and bands attached. I could go with the smaller tank options to save about 12 pounds or so. However, I am fine carrying this weight for now.
"The most important thing is not to stop questioning." Albert Einstein

"For the diligent diver, closed circuit rebreathers are actually safer than open circuit scuba." Tom Mount

#97 VADiver

VADiver

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts
  • Cert Level:GUE T2/C1
  • Logged Dives:400+

Posted 20 September 2006 - 07:24 PM

I have a two 104/130 double set-ups waiting for my Cave 1 class...after Tech 1 early next year. Hopefully we'll all have the same tanks to cut down on the battlefield calculations.

When I went through my cave 1 class - I always felt short changed when it came down to gas matching. I was diving HP100's and my buddies all were diving 104/130's.... So not only did I end up having to do all the math - but they also don't have the cardio endurance I do... So while they were turning on 1/3rd in double 130's, I was near 1/6th's...

#98 netmage

netmage

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts
  • Cert Level:Tech & Cave
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 20 September 2006 - 07:51 PM

I have a two 104/130 double set-ups waiting for my Cave 1 class...after Tech 1 early next year. Hopefully we'll all have the same tanks to cut down on the battlefield calculations.

n/s.... When it came time for a fun cave weekend - I went out and picked up some 108's just to avoid math...! They are painted - thinking about a second galv. set so I can take 'em in the ocean. But then again - I do have the makings to turn my other hp100 singles into doubles... Hmmm - do I really need a singles rig...?!? I got some AL80's that could also be doubled and the odd one o2 cleaned for a stage. It would mean doing allot more drysuit diving to keep the steels in the rotation...
"I aim to misbehave...."

#99 Diverbrian

Diverbrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI DiveCon/IANTD Normoxic Trimix.....
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 21 September 2006 - 10:35 AM

n/s.... When it came time for a fun cave weekend - I went out and picked up some 108's just to avoid math...! They are painted - thinking about a second galv. set so I can take 'em in the ocean. But then again - I do have the makings to turn my other hp100 singles into doubles... Hmmm - do I really need a singles rig...?!? I got some AL80's that could also be doubled and the odd one o2 cleaned for a stage. It would mean doing allot more drysuit diving to keep the steels in the rotation...

I don't think that I have used singles more than one or two dives in the last couple of years. The times that I did were only to assist with classes. Most of my buddies with HP tanks have now gotten rid of them after they took cave (which I will not be taking anytime soon due to time and money constraints) as they have switched to cave-filled LP tanks.
A person should be judged in this life not by the mistakes that they make nor by the number of them. Rather they are to be judged by their recovery from them.

#100 VADiver

VADiver

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts
  • Cert Level:GUE T2/C1
  • Logged Dives:400+

Posted 21 September 2006 - 06:50 PM

Yeah, I have 2 sets of AL 80s doubled up and soon to have 2 sets of 130s doubled up. The down side is that I ran out of AL80 stage bottles.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users