• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Planning a trip with Mike Ball in Australia

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 cyclingmike31

cyclingmike31

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 11 June 2004 - 07:30 AM

I am interested in setting up a trip with Mike Ball to dive Australia in the future (probably late 2005 / 2006). Anyone have some experience with this dive op? I was wondering if I could get some info on the Mike Ball and some of the logistics of setting up a dive trip with them. Some of the things that I am unclear of are: Are you satisfied with the Ball? How far in advance do you book your trip? If you have dove with them how long did you stay (2 weeks, 1 week) ? Best time of year to visit and dive Australia?
-Michael
AKA - Charlie ...The Keeper of the Angels and the SD Photo guy on trips

If you are Single or Buddyless and looking to dive with other single divers, visit us at http://www.singledivers.com.

#2 harleyman

harleyman

Getting started

• Pip
  • 34 posts
  • Cert Level:Dive Master
  • Logged Dives:200

Posted 12 June 2004 - 09:06 PM

I would definately be interested. I have talked first hand with people that have been on his boats, and it is worth doing the 7 to 10 night excursion in Austrailia to make sure that you make it on the back side of the Great Barrier Reef (Coral Sea).

His boats have more cabins, and people on-board, and less open space, but the amount of crew, DM's, etc., give's extreme service. They are also not afraid to move the boats continuously to give the best dive experience.

E-mail me, and we can chat.

I am trying to get to several Pacific locations, and am always looking for qualified buddies..........

Dive safe.

#3 triggerfish

triggerfish

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,712 posts
  • Cert Level:goddess.
  • Logged Dives:never enough

Posted 12 June 2004 - 09:13 PM

been there!!!

did the spoil sport to the upper outer barrier reef back in 95. i absolutely loved it. they were safe, knowledgable, and fun. the crew was amazing...we had fun lectures at night and gourmet food (our cook was a french chef!). the cabins were WAY more comfortable than any hotel i ever stayed in!! and even tho we had heavy seas (i went at the end of their winter), i didn't get seasick (i did use a scop patch tho). it was the first week of april.
now, i've not had any other liveaboard experience other than the nekton and a few smaller boats; i can't compare it to, say, aggressors or peter hughes.
but i loved it and would go with them again.

Edited by triggerfish, 12 June 2004 - 09:15 PM.

#4 nycamico

nycamico

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 68 posts
  • Cert Level:OW 2, Rescue, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:250+

Posted 13 June 2004 - 10:10 PM

I was on the Spoilsport in June 1995- fantastic trip, comfortable boat and nice crew. Try to dive the Yongala wreck- amazing! If they still do it the shark feeding was wild too. Felt like I was in a Cousteau special alot of the time. Also only boat out there in the Coral sea at the time. Go for it!
Laurie :cool2: :diver:

#5 triggerfish

triggerfish

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,712 posts
  • Cert Level:goddess.
  • Logged Dives:never enough

Posted 14 June 2004 - 08:00 AM

yeah, you're right! we were the only folks out there....really gets you spoiled

#6 No Pressure

No Pressure

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts
  • Board Status:occasionally bored
  • Cert Level:Master Diver/ Some tech stuff. Now mostly just jump in, float, breathe, get in the zone.
  • Logged Dives:1500+

Posted 25 June 2004 - 12:39 PM

Hi gang from Little Cayman. Diving's been great.
TF, Connie is here also, and is going to be in Australia in early Sept, sans dive buddy (your's truly). Anyone interested in most likely a Mike Ball liveaboard for 7-10 days?
Diving; My zen space.

#7 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,705 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 25 June 2004 - 12:50 PM

Ok so I heard a nasty little rumour that Mike Ball charges 40% more for US and Japanese divers cuz he believes that we can afford it. Can anyone confirm or deny that? (I was told that by a dive shop owner from Atlanta.)

Other then that I've only heard great things! I'm hoping Mike is asking cuz he is hoping we'll run a trip there in 2005 or 2006. Who all would be up for doing an Australia Coral Sea trip???

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#8 chinacat46

chinacat46

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,147 posts
  • Cert Level:OWSI
  • Logged Dives:1527(8 in fresh water)

Posted 25 June 2004 - 10:44 PM

When I went to Oz I didn't book anything in advance(not really an option for a group). I was there April and May 2002 and had no problems going on the trips I wanted and most of them were booked within 1 to 2 weeks beforehand and as such I usually got a discount off the regular price. I didn't go with Mike Ball so can't offer any info about them. If you are going though and are a bit flexible I'd suggest waiting till you get there. There are lots of liveaboards all along the GBR and I had no problem finding one. I actually did 5 liveaboards(most were 3 to 4 days). The coral sea is a great spot but then I'm happy just diving but this spot will be on most peoples top list. No worries mate!

#9 bluedolphin

bluedolphin

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  • Board Status:Private
  • Cert Level:Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:296

Posted 17 October 2004 - 09:07 AM

I dove with Mike Ball in late April early May of 1999 and had a wonderful time. I must have been on a similar trip to NYCamico since I was on the Spoilsport, did the Coral Sea and Yongoal wreck as well. The wreck is amazing.

The crew, food and set up were fantastic. I sort of lucked out as the boat was not full and since I was traveling alone (gotta stop doing that), I got the entire twin share to myslef. There were 2 other single women on the trip as well, they got private rooms as well.

Can't respond to Mike Ball charging American more, they seemed competitive and I felt it was worth the price I paid.

I got a terrific shark photo which I will try to attach, this was taken on the shark dive which is part of the trip.

Posted Image
Happy Diving
Linda
Posted Image

#10 akelly

akelly

Getting started

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Cert Level:Dive Leader /TDI decompressions
  • Logged Dives:+500

Posted 19 October 2004 - 03:36 PM

I haven't dived with Mike Ball operations, but have dived with other companies in GBR - there are quite a few companies, but the Ball operations all seem to have good feedback - problem with smaller operations is that if the boat has any problems, there isn't always a back up boat - when I booked in Cairns (only on 2 days notice) on a small liveaboard, the rudder failed 5 minutes after leaving port, which then required a 4 hour fix in port - subsequently we missed the trip to the Coral Sea, which considerably annoyed me and the other 7 divers.. (no refund however or discout given) so, caveat emptor.. , buyer beware!! - however this sort of thing shouldn't be a problem with Mike Ball's fleet of boats !
Best time to go?.. anytime..!, although in Queensland watch out for box jellyfish in summer - NSW and S Australia also have great dive spots - look out for the sea dragons, and if you're really flush, pop over to Ningaloo reef in W. Australia... ! :dance:

#11 Travelnsj

Travelnsj

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 06 November 2004 - 08:44 PM

i was on Mike Ball a year ago. I did the Northern trip i think the boats name was Super Sport. The staff is the best you will ever find! But the boat was tooooo crowded and old. The diving was good to very good and one of the most beautiful places on earth. Take a look at the boat going out of Townsville that does the eastern Coral sea. Nicer boat i believe it is called the Spoiled Sport. Plus the wreck they do on there way out there is one of the best wreck dives. November or early December is the best weather. Just before the Rains and Heat. Hope this helps. Need any other info e-mail me.
You must endeavor to pursue!

#12 hge54

hge54

Getting started

• Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:304

Posted 30 December 2004 - 09:48 PM

I did Spoilsport and Supersport in 11/04. Both were very good, but not cheap. The GBR had lots of sea life, but mediocre visibility. The Coral Sea had fantastic visibilty, but not as much life. I hope to go on his boat in Papua New Guinea within a few years.

Hal

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users